Twitter: Neal signing with Tampa

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
To get this roster back to the point it was at season end this upcoming draft better be an all time best type thing for the Cowboys. Unless there are some true hidden gems still out there in FA or unless the team pulls off a few really nice trades.

quickccc

Reaction score
The Cowboys won't miss him. I think Cox will be better in the role they had Neal playing anyway. Maybe moving him to LB was a mistake.

Now we just have to wait and hope they don't sign Kazee again. He was almost as bad as Xavier Woods.

On the contrary, because Neal cannot cover the deep half of the field anymore as a coverage safety, and was obviously losing more and more range,
his best plays came when he was closer to the line, thus the move to LB.

How much you wanna bet the Bucs have him playing " hybrid" nickel mode instead of the traditional deep halve safety ?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Should help offset the Washington signing for the comp pick tally.

cant keep them all.

good luck to him we kept the better of the Players then those that left IMO. Cox easily assumes his role with Kearse,LVE, and other plus a draft pick. Not sure he was all that important. we shall see.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. That's why I have said Cowboys should target Penn State LB Brandon Smith in the 2nd round, even if they have to add one of their four 5th rounders to move up earlier in the 2nd round to make sure and get him. It's that important.

Then add another LB either in the 4th or 5th.
:facepalm:

coult44

Reaction score
Y’all crack me up. The “who cares” attitude for Neal leaving, but if we signed a player of his current caliber we would be really happy. Neal is a 2nd tier guy, Not a bargain basement guy like the clowns we will end up with.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the contrary, because Neal cannot cover the deep half of the field anymore as a coverage safety, and was obviously losing more and more range,
his best plays came when he was closer to the line, thus the move to LB.

How much you wanna bet the Bucs have him playing " hybrid" nickel mode instead of the traditional deep halve safety ?

You are defining a Strong Safety in a single-high coverage scheme...

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Teams, including ours, kill me trying to square peg players. Position flex triggers me now. Get players that are masters of that position. Converting T to G and S to LB isn't working. I understand Jayron Kearse being a hybrid and all, but position flex is killing me. Also, there are players outside the state of Texas that can play too. I think our FO like stories better than actual players. Premium defender? What a joke.

*note* I'm not saying that Neal is from Texas
This is the Stephen way....throw enough darts at that hole and one may plug it. Struck gold in Kearse, but as they say a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
about 925% more likely to win a ring there than here tho

Not according to Vegas, they are just over a 2/1 difference.

And he was not a difference maker. Though I felt it was a mistake to play him at LB. Maybe he will be better for them at S.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Keanu Neal signed a 1 year, $1,272,500 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including a $152,500 signing bonus, $152,500 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,272,500. In 2022, Neal will earn a base salary of $1,120,000 and a signing bonus of $152,500, while carrying a cap hit of $1,047,500 and a dead cap value of $152,500.

Keanu Neal Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Cmac

Reaction score
Will somebody please lock the back door. I'd be in for a coaching purge, but we know what that would mean......KMoore HC.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Y’all crack me up. The “who cares” attitude for Neal leaving, but if we signed a player of his current caliber we would be really happy. Neal is a 2nd tier guy, Not a bargain basement guy like the clowns we will end up with.
No Cox is taking his pace.. cant keep them all and next man up is player with even more upside..we kept hooker, Kearse, and LVE..you just cant and he want to be safety now umm we have Wilson, Kearse, and hooker plus young guys..again its nit that its n big deal we will easily fill his role.trust in DQ..he has plan for cox plus young guys form this hybrid role..

how many actual % of snaps did Neal play ..i believe if cox didn't get hurt before the end of the year he would have taken Neals job..

some might be undervaluing him but you are OVERR valuing him..just sayng.

i find it ironic all the bargain basement FA dal fans hate and say doesn't work when you lose one of them its like we lost hof Player'

think hard i mean how many of the FAs from last year worked out and yet here were are this offseason crying about the lack of FA movement and doesn't like the bargain basement guys but Neal was one of those ..we ended up keeping Kearse and Hooker

coult44

Reaction score
No Cox is taking his pace.. cant keep them all and next man up is player with even more upside..we kept hooker, Kearse, and LVE..you just cant and he want to be safety now umm we have Wilson, Kearse, and hooker plus young guys..again its nit that its n big deal we will easily fill his role.trust in DQ..he has plan for cox plus young guys form this hybrid role..

how many actual % of snaps did Neal play ..i believe if cox didn't get hurt before the end of the year he would have taken Neals job..

some might be undervaluing him but you are OVERR valuing him..just sayng.

i find it ironic all the bargain basement FA dal fans hate and say doesn't work when you lose one of them its like we lost hof Player'

think hard i mean how many of the FAs from last year worked out and yet here were are this offseason crying about the lack of FA movement and doesn't like the bargain basement guys but Neal was one of those ..we ended up keeping Kearse and Hooker

There is nothing I said about wanting him to stay. Comprehension is a good thing my man. Had zero to do with what I was implying.

Carson

Reaction score
Keanu Neal signed a 1 year, $1,272,500 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including a $152,500 signing bonus, $152,500 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,272,500. In 2022, Neal will earn a base salary of $1,120,000 and a signing bonus of $152,500, while carrying a cap hit of $1,047,500 and a dead cap value of $152,500.

Keanu Neal Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac
Damn. That is bare minimum and I don't believe gets us a comp pick

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't get much of a contract, so apparently the league isn't that enamored with him. Realistically he was a part of the rotation, but not a key component. Can't just replace him with anyone, but not an irreplaceable guy either.

MTCowboyFan

Reaction score
I am glad they did not resign him.

I can't recall one big play he made all year.

Rarely heard his name called and seemed like he never made any tackles.

I was sorely disappointed in his impact.

Full disclosure: I was pretty dang excited about the signing last year, thought he'd have a role similar to what Kearse ended up having.