Need help from a network guru

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I have been having issues lately with the speeds on my network. If I check on google fiber it says my devices in my living room are only connected at 10 Mbps (actual speeds are lower). These are wired devices. My devices down in my theater say they are connected at 100 Mbps (connection speeds also probably lower).

When I reset the google fiber box, it fixes the issue, at least on the living room devices and they say they are connected at 1000 Mbps. That is only temporary though and it keeps reverting back to 10 Mbps fairly soon. The devices in the theater stay at 100 Mbps constantly.

I do have a switch both in the living room and in the theater. Both are gigabit switches, and all the cables are at least Cat 5e.

I'd prefer everything be working optimally at 1000 Mbps, but the living room speed is killing me. Anyone have any tips? Do I need better switches (The one in the theater is a 16 port unmanaged switch and the living room is an 8 port switch)? New cables? Are there some settings I can adjust?

Google Fiber Router -> Switches -> Devices (PC, Game Systems, Media Players, AVRs, TV, etc)

Wireless devices don't seem to be affected.

lukin2006

Reaction score
There was a car thread, not much help came forward. But good luck. I usually try kicking and cursing.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
  • Can you explain your exact setup?
Modem->router-(2) switches->devices?

You say that your Google Fiber says they are connected at slower speeds. I'm guessing you are looking at the device and it is telling you devices connected and their auto-negotiated speed.

When you reboot the Fiber, it corrects the issue (re-negotiates the speed) This suggest a couple of possible issues.
  • Weak signal from very long Ethernet cable runs? (are your runs less than say 300 feet, hopefully much shorter)
  • Poor terminations or damaged Ethernet cable. (are the cables and RJ45 terminators in good condition?)
  • Are the cables running in paralleled to power cables or running across or near florescent lightning? (RFI or other interference within the cable itself)
  • Possible faulty device / Ethernet ports. (since it's happening to both switches, it might be the Google fibers switch ports that the switches are connecting too)
In truth, I would likely lean towards some type of RFI causing degradation of the Ethernet signal in the cable since it's happening to both switches.

With that said. Has it always been like this, or did it just start happening at some point in the past? If it just started happening, what changed right before it started happening? (power cables near Ethernet, new TV or some sort of electrical device installed, etc)