Negotiation Tactics and variables (Zeke)

blueblood70

Reaction score
JJ & Son should have taken the hard line from the start.

We will NOT negotiate with ANY player with two years left on their contract.

Sent his agent a reminder that under the CBA he will be fined and
DCB will start the process to recoup bonus money already paid.

But the FO could not keep their mouth shut and have created this media frenzy.

JJ rakes in billions for his good decisions.

But he whiffed on this one.

And we as fans wonder why the NFC title game looks the faint light of a distant star in the night sky.

JJ reminds us almost daily.
UMM he signed 4yr deal the fifth year option was added and he has every right after 3 to renegotiate.. its not unheard of the fifth year option is tool to keep a star another year before renegotiation and with Elite RB its different and get ready because SB will eb doing the same thing and I bet the NYG wont tack on a 5th year and simply pay him like the JOneses promised Zeke, remember "we start at Gurley Money"..

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm saving these post so we can refer back to it at some point in the future.
I laugh when you state that the Boys are resolute in having Zeke sit out for the entire season as you have forgotten what happened last time Zeke wasn't in the backfield.
We shall meet again Joeking.....
Pappy, I understand Zeke is integral to our current (2018) offense. I understand he is a top 2-3 RB. But, I also understand this team can't give everyone top 5 money and survive. It's been mentioned many times we have no salary cap problems. Were you around when we did? It was pretty bad. My solution is to offer Zeke top 2 money with provisions for off-field issues. If he takes it, great, if not, plan on moving on.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I would tell Zeke to report and we will continue to negotiate in good faith. If you don't report, we cut off all communications with you until the end of the year. We will not allow this go on into the year. Show and play or stay at home. oh and by the way, we will start any and all fines we can for as much as we can and we will collect them. If you choose to show up any time this year, great, we will welcome you but you will play under the current contract you have in place. If you have not reported by Monday August 26, we will shut down all negotiations for this year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Sure it does. All the sense in the world. Zeke waited until the season was upon us to start his negotiations. Do you think that was random? Lol. Of course not, because it put pressure on the Cowboys to get something done. He is following Tank’s lead.

The Cowboys need to put the pressure back on Elliott by giving him a deadline and start fining him immediately.

That's not how you handle a negotiation like this. Ultimatums aren't going to get this one done. You simply let him sit out as long as he wants with a reasonable contract offer on the table. Eventually, he will give in, or will sit out the whole year. The goal is to get Zeke at a reasonable amount that will pay him like a top 5 back. Its fair and its reasonable. And then there is the public perception game which they are winning. If they give an ultimatum then they become the bad guy and Zeke now has a legitimate beef.

At the moment he is just a greedy, bad teammate, selfish idiot.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Dak balls out without Zeke, he deserves all the credit for it and he will get paid. I don't believe in him so I doubt he will. If he does, that is a great thing for the team long term and Zeke will be out of luck.

Every QB deserves a competent run game. Doesn't have to be Zeke Eilliott level RB. Pollard and a 3rd round back from next year would do nicely.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I wouldn’t make the trade but I’d be putting out rumours that Cowboys are considering a trade offer by the Dolphins. I bet that gets him to training camp.
Or to Miami. Or hopefully Cincy or Barfalo.

jsb357

Reaction score
UMM he signed 4yr deal the fifth year option was added and he has every right after 3 to renegotiate..

Every player selected in the first round of the NFL Draft will automatically have a Fifth-Year Option added in his contract.
This option cannot be separately attached to the player contract.

The option allows a team to retain a player’s rights for five years rather than the standard four, which is the
bonus of selecting a player in the first round. In order to extend the contract, the team must inform the player
during the period between the last regular season game of his third contract year and May 3 of the next League Year (Art. 7, Sec. 7, (a), 31).

The Fifth-Year Option is non-negotiable, and the non-compensation terms from a player’s rookie contract will be transferred to the fifth year.

If a team decides to use its option, the player can face substantial fines for refusing to report to camp on time and/or at all.
Players can be fined up to $30,000 per day of training camp missed and a fine equal to one week’s regular season
(1/17 of P5 Salary) check for any preseason games missed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Every player selected in the first round of the NFL Draft will automatically have a Fifth-Year Option added in his contract.
This option cannot be separately attached to the player contract.

The option allows a team to retain a player’s rights for five years rather than the standard four, which is the
bonus of selecting a player in the first round. In order to extend the contract, the team must inform the player
during the period between the last regular season game of his third contract year and May 3 of the next League Year (Art. 7, Sec. 7, (a), 31).

The Fifth-Year Option is non-negotiable, and the non-compensation terms from a player’s rookie contract will be transferred to the fifth year.

If a team decides to use its option, the player can face substantial fines for refusing to report to camp on time and/or at all.
Players can be fined up to $30,000 per day of training camp missed and a fine equal to one week’s regular season
(1/17 of P5 Salary) check for any preseason games missed.
ONLY PLAYERS that are very good get it added, its way for the team to try and keep player, if that player sux they are adding it or cutting him after year 3? see the issue here..CBA this will be fixed..AGAIN IF ZEKE WASNT GREAT THIS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ADDED..IT WAS A 4YR CONTRACT..IF IT WERE 5 IT WOULD HAVE BEN 5 FROM DAY ONE..ITS AN EXTENSION USED ONLY IF THE PAYERS IS GOOD AND THE TEAM WANTS HIM..

what if he doesnt players with 3-4 yr deals getting cut after their rookie year? or not making the team at all? what about those contracts? how about Romo and Ware when they were let go BEFORE THEIR contracts were up? sure they got some money but NOT ALL of it..teams get to cut players early but layers cant get extensions early or demand a trade? f all that..

we know EE has earned his max deal , hes juts turned 25 and can easily play 3-4 more years at high levek no reason not to pay him except the real issue is Amari and Dak demanding more then they are worth...period end of story.. the FO is trying to figure out who they can afford to keep of the 23 players due for 2020 contracts some HUGE..

low balling zeke sorry not the way..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would tell Zeke to report and we will continue to negotiate in good faith. If you don't report, we cut off all communications with you until the end of the year. We will not allow this go on into the year. Show and play or stay at home. oh and by the way, we will start any and all fines we can for as much as we can and we will collect them. If you choose to show up any time this year, great, we will welcome you but you will play under the current contract you have in place. If you have not reported by Monday August 26, we will shut down all negotiations for this year.
That sounds good but what if they start off like they did when Emmitt was out? At 3-5, they went after Cooper, what are they going to do at 1-3 with Elliott? Now, add to this that Booger was part of that Emmitt situation and saw the outcome of giving in.

The Cowboys are betting they can win without him and Elliott and his agent are betting they can't. Elliott can still walk in after the 10th game and this year counts, he really doesn't lose a lot, comparatively speaking to a new contract, by missing 10 games.

The other element to this is what happens if a good team loses their RB1 for the season? Are they now more amenable to a higher trade? I would like to know if any teams have been kicking the tires on Elliott.

One thing for sure, using Pollard in pretend games as an adequate replacement for the real season or making jokes about the player isn't going to motivate him. Funny thing about humor, it's all funny until pride gets involved and it's public, then the "respect" card gets played. It's not easy to negotiate with an angry person.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That sounds good but what if they start off like they did when Emmitt was out? At 3-5, they went after Cooper, what are they going to do at 1-3 with Elliott? Now, add to this that Booger was part of that Emmitt situation and saw the outcome of giving in.

The Cowboys are betting they can win without him and Elliott and his agent are betting they can't. Elliott can still walk in after the 10th game and this year counts, he really doesn't lose a lot, comparatively speaking to a new contract, by missing 10 games.

The other element to this is what happens if a good team loses their RB1 for the season? Are they now more amenable to a higher trade? I would like to know if any teams have been kicking the tires on Elliott.

One thing for sure, using Pollard in pretend games as an adequate replacement for the real season or making jokes about the player isn't going to motivate him. Funny thing about humor, it's all funny until pride gets involved and it's public, then the "respect" card gets played. It's not easy to negotiate with an angry person.
CC, I don't believe JJ gave in. I think if you check with the experts, ES came back and signed the last deal that had been offered before the holdout.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

A couple of points I would make
1. they were 3-5 with Zeke last year before they went got the WR and Dak started playing better.
2. There was not a salary cap to consider when Emmitt held out, there is a difference in not Wanting to pay and Can't pay.
3. Losing around 2 million in salary plus whatever fines the Cowboys put on him, would be a big loss for him

I think they get a deal done sooner rather than later although I think it would be a big mistake to give him Gurley money or more. He just can't be trusted. I would be on board with a trade. I would hate to see them not be able to continue to build the team with quality players because they are to top heavy on the Cap.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CC, I don't believe JJ gave in. I think if you check with the experts, ES came back and signed the last deal that had been offered before the holdout.
The story I heard was that Jimmy pushed him hard after that 2nd loss and he gave in but I don't have anything but the memory of an old fool to support that.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

Also, if this team opens up 1-3 then Garrett and Dak need to be shown the door before week 5. And I like Garrett. But this is a very talented team and a ton of resources in the OL. So if they can't get a running game without Zeke, then we are in much worse shape and would have wasted resources on the OL.

cern

Reaction score
Exactly...

The Cowboys front office needs to solve, in a football sense, for:

1[Bq] = (dN/dt) =1[Decay/s]
Hard to measure radioactivity during a prompt criticality. But obviously einstein got it right.

cern

Reaction score
The story I heard was that Jimmy pushed him hard after that 2nd loss and he gave in but I don't have anything but the memory of an old fool to support that.
Jimmy pushed jerry to get smith signed. He went all jimmy jump up on him.

Verdict

Reaction score
What do you guys think is going to happen on this deal?

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Dak one is the most interesting. He wants big money prove you can win without zeke.

If zeke isn’t there week 1 and he struggles vs a bad giants team good luck convincing people your worth big money

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys cannot give into Zeke b/c it sets an expensive precedent for every other guy on the team playing on a rookie contract.

True, but that already happened when we caved to Tank’s bloated contract.