Neighborhood watch captain kills black teen - doesn't get arrested

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - The family of a 17-year-old African-American boy shot to death last month in his gated Florida community by a white Neighborhood Watch captain wants to see the captain arrested, the family's lawyer said on Wednesday.
Trayvon Martin was shot dead after he took a break from watching NBA All-Star game television coverage to walk 10 minutes to a convenience store to buy snacks including Skittles candy requested by his 13-year-old brother, Chad, the family's lawyer Ben Crump said.

http://news.yahoo.com/family-florida-boy-killed-neighborhood-watch-seeks-arrest-044537742.html
--

We've got one of these neighorbood watch gestapos on my block. Wouldn't put it past him to do something like this either.

How do the cops not arrest this guy on the spot? What a complete embarrassment all around.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
DOUBLE WING;4443843 said:
http://news.yahoo.com/family-florida-boy-killed-neighborhood-watch-seeks-arrest-044537742.html
--

We've got one of these neighorbood watch gestapo's on my block. Wouldn't put it past him to do something like this either.

How do the cops not arrest this guy on the spot? What a complete embarrassment all around.

Why was he not arrested? So in this neighborhood, you can kill someone and just tell the cops that the victim looked suspicious, and then all is well? This doesn't seem like proper protocol to me.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
JonJon;4443847 said:
Why was he not arrested? So in this neighborhood, you can kill someone and just tell the cops that the victim looked suspicious, and then all is well? This doesn't seem like proper protocol to me.

My guess would be that he has friends in high places.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That's crazy if it really went downs as described.
If so, no way he gets away with this scot free.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Something has to be missing from this report? If it truly went down like that, there is a lot more than just that guy needing to be arrested.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Number one, that report is not the whole story obviously. It can't be.

Number two, if it is indeed the whole story, then the guy needs to be arrested.

Number three, why is race even an issue. The guy that died is black, that doesn't make him more dead. The guy that shot him is white, that doesn't make him more white.

The shooter needs to go to jail and be treated just like any other murderer if it did happen the way the report said. Race means nothing in this matter unless they find some White Power literature at his house or something stupid like that.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Almost no chance that article is telling the whole story. It simply doesnt pass the smell test.

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4444242 said:
Number one, that report is not the whole story obviously. It can't be.

Number two, if it is indeed the whole story, then the guy needs to be arrested.

Number three, why is race even an issue. The guy that died is black, that doesn't make him more dead. The guy that shot him is white, that doesn't make him more white.

The shooter needs to go to jail and be treated just like any other murderer if it did happen the way the report said. Race means nothing in this matter unless they find some White Power literature at his house or something stupid like that.

maybe due to the fact that it is possible that he was shot because he was black?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4444267 said:
Almost no chance that article is telling the whole story. It simply doesnt pass the smell test.

What could the article be missing that would explain why he wasn't arrested? The kid stayed in that neighborhood and didn't have a weapon on him.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4444393 said:
What could the article be missing that would explain why he wasn't arrested? The kid stayed in that neighborhood and didn't have a weapon on him.

a million things.

like, the kid was throwing rocks at the car. the man got out to lecture the kid, who started pushing his finger in the mans chest. witness's saw the whole thing go down, as the teen got more and more confrontational.

assuming it is race based is pathetic.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4444393 said:

The fact that he WASNT arrested is what stinks about that article. This isnt 1920, you arent allowed to just kill certain people without even so much as a police officer looking in your direction. Get off on it? Maybe, but good lord he want even arrested. Even during the 50s and 60s you'd usually see people get arrested before getting off a half hour later.

I'm not saying the shooting was justified (it almost certainly wasnt) but there HAS to be something else to it for him not to currently be in custody.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
JustDezIt;4444279 said:
maybe due to the fact that it is possible that he was shot because he was black?

It's certainly possible but believe it or not in 2012 white people get arrested for killing black people. In fact, killing a black man often results in a HEAVIER sentence if convicted because they always find a way to qualify it as a hate crime which carries stiffer penalties.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4444413 said:
a million things.

like, the kid was throwing rocks at the car. the man got out to lecture the kid, who started pushing his finger in the mans chest. witness's saw the whole thing go down, as the teen got more and more confrontational.

assuming it is race based is pathetic.

At what point, in your completely made up scenario, does anyone need to be shot and the shooter not need to be arrested?

As to the race issue, pretending there's no chance it has a role in this is as naive as assuming it 100% does.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;4444568 said:
At what point, in your completely made up scenario, does anyone need to be shot and the shooter not need to be arrested?

What he chose were poor examples but if a scenario unfolded where the shooter was in legitimate fear for his life (they were arguing and the kid reached into his pocket, the kid physically attacked him, etc.) then it is hardly uncommon to postpone an arrest pending investigation. If he was legally carrying, and he can prove there were circumstances that would lead a rational individual to fear for their life, then he won't be convicted of this. Am I saying that's what happened? No, but whatever happened I refuse to believe that he simply shot the kid in cold blood and has yet to be arrested.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4444584 said:
What he chose were poor examples but if a scenario unfolded where the shooter was in legitimate fear for his life (they were arguing and the kid reached into his pocket, the kid physically attacked him, etc.) then it is hardly uncommon to postpone an arrest pending investigation. If he was legally carrying, and he can prove there were circumstances that would lead a rational individual to fear for their life, then he won't be convicted of this. Am I saying that's what happened? No, but whatever happened I refuse to believe that he simply shot the kid in cold blood and has yet to be arrested.

You can refuse to believe whatever you choose. You've created an entirely new scenario where a teenager drags a grown man out of his car, beats him and then reaches for a can of ice tea to shoot him with, to justify the death of a 17 year old. Why?

I am sure there was some sort of confrontation, but it'd have to be a particularly nasty one to justify the shooting. Being afraid for your life does not always justify murder. I've been scared for my life on a few occasions and never shot a soul. Why? Because I have legs with which to walk away.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;4444630 said:
You can refuse to believe whatever you choose. You've created an entirely new scenario where a teenager drags a grown man out of his car, beats him and then reaches for a can of ice tea to shoot him with, to justify the death of a 17 year old. Why?

That's not what I said. At all.

For whatever reason, that seems more likely to you.

I believe I specifically said...

Am I saying that's what happened? No

I don't know what happened. What I DO know is that, especially in our politically correct society, had it gone down exactly as the linked article says he would not currently be a free man. He'd be in jail or out on bail and being crucified as a racist murderer.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Chief Bill Lee of the Sanford Police Department on Thursday evening said the account given by Martin’s family and attorney is correct, that Zimmerman saw the young man walking home from the store. He said that Zimmerman did indeed call 911 and report a suspicious person, and that he was told not to follow him.

“For some reason he felt that Trayvon, the way that he was walking or appeared seemed suspicious to him,” Lee said. “He called this in and at one part of this initial call [the dispatcher] recommends him not to follow Trayvon. A police officer is on the way at that point.”

Lee said that Zimmerman instead followed Martin.

“I believe that Mr. Zimmerman was trying to, by his account, find an address to give the officers and also trying to keep Trayvon in eyesight.”

Zimmerman told the police that Martin noticed that he was being followed and asked, “what’s your problem?”

That's when a physical confrontation ensued, Lee said. And moments later, Martin was shot.

Lee said that Zimmerman has a legal permit to carry the weapon used in the shooting, and that he told police that he shot Martin in self-defense.

“He felt the need to defend himself,” Lee said. “ I don’t think it was his intent to go and shoot somebody” that night.

The chief said the police have met with Zimmerman on two to three separate occasions, and that their investigation should be wrapped up this week. He said all of the evidence in the case will be delivered to the Seminole County State Attorney’s Office soon after.

“We’re going to present all the information and if they feel that based on all of the evidence that we’re able to produce that Mr. Zimmerman has satisfied the requirement that he shot in self defense, they may, but if not, he would be charged with some type of homicide or manslaughter,” Lee said.

“It is certainly and absolutely a tragedy, especially for the Martin Family,” Lee said. "No one expects their teenage son to go the store and never come back.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/family-of-trayvon-martin-_n_1332756.html

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4444631 said:
I don't know what happened. What I DO know is that, especially in our politically correct society, had it gone down exactly as the linked article says he would not currently be a free man. He'd be in jail or out on bail and being crucified as a racist murderer.

Why not? He shot a kid, said he was afraid had a permit and has no record. The cops don't HAVE to arrest everyone that fires a gun, and in this case they clearly choose not to while they finished their investigation.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;4444630 said:
I am sure there was some sort of confrontation, but it'd have to be a particularly nasty one to justify the shooting. Being afraid for your life does not always justify murder. I've been scared for my life on a few occasions and never shot a soul. Why? Because I have legs with which to walk away.

Fearing for one's life is the most common defense used in police officer and concealed carry related shootings, and it works more often than not. It helps that statistics show that police officers and those with CHL are far less likely to commit felonies across the board, but especially with regards to violent crimes. For better or worse, courts tend to put more faith in the word of people who are responsibly carrying weapons over everybody else.

I can promise you that if he says he was in fear for his life and he has a clean record, character witnesses and witnesses of the event to back him up, there is zero chance he goes to jail for this.

Again, I'm not saying it was justified. I'm saying that I'm smart enough to know that 2 plus 2 doesnt equal 16.