Neville Gallimore and Randy Gregory

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
who's to say Hill and Gallimore cannot be your two studs in the middle, so that you wont to be wish-listing another stud DT in the offseason ?
o_O

Both are youngsters and appear to be on the way up. I'd like nothing better than to see that coming into view now. It's always good to have young guys to develop and show promise while doing so. Perhaps this season isn't such a complete waste, after all . . . :)

Rayman70

Reaction score
who's to say Hill and Gallimore cannot be your two studs in the middle, so that you wont to be wish-listing another stud DT in the offseason ?
o_O
I am ok with that. Plus drafting another DT at some point. We need to fix the interior. DT,MLB,SS. We do that, we have a chance.

camaro69

Benched
Reaction score
I'm 49 years old and have never played a single NFL down, does that qualify me as a 'young buck'?
If Randy had played a lot of football 28 would be old just look at Tyron smith. Randy doesn't have the wear and tear of back to back NFL seasons.
I think he only has one full season

quickccc

Reaction score
I am ok with that. Plus drafting another DT at some point. We need to fix the interior. DT,MLB,SS. We do that, we have a chance.

- Getting Hill back healthy again, and on track where he was developing well until the knee injury...

- We just have to get Crawford off this defense period - he's quite an effort hustle guy but he get rag-dolled on an every game basis, even as a rotation guy,
but with the way management adores his locker room personality, I wouldn't be surprised if they asked him back on a 1 year deal.

- Woods is likely to leave in FA. I don't think he wasn't too enarmored with losing his 1 tech to Poe to begin with. Plus he wants a chance at a bigger $$ contract.
He's not a starter type, imo. as he struggles vs double team blocks, and he can wear down

- They traded for the Houston DT, per late rounder, so he'll be in the rotation mix at the least.
Hamilton is basically JAG, so we'll see usual street bargain camp bodies.

- Gallimore along with Hill, are the 2 focus. Young bucks that have top notch athleticism and can get off the ball and into the backfield. The big key is game experience.
Hill will miss out on that with being in IR, while Gallimore stays healthy and will get that valuable experience. I think he'll be bounced between the two DT roles this year rookie or not.
Per his college rep, run defense was a red flag with Neville, but you could tell it from the Steelers game. He's certainly learning fast on the run.
Gallimore doesn't fit the big body 1 tech role at 305 lbs, but its' hard not to envision your two athletic DT playmakers not being on the field as starters. - at least with me.

ESisback

Reaction score
a 'stud "as I see it, is a front line, impact starter .. not a 4th DT backup in the rotation.
Very few rookies are impact starters their first year. If he IS a true stud, then he replaces Hill or Gallimore, and our “backups” are even better. Either way we’re improved, which is the most important thing. If it doesn’t affect our ability to get help at S, LB, and CB, go for it!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I love the scenario of trading back from the top five and still picking a shutdown CB and getting the extra high #2. Use the #2s on a Safety and DT and your DT rotation is Hill, Gallimore, the #2 pick and Woods. Sign a new FA safety if you don't think Donovan Wilson is the guy and you have completely rebuilt the defense.

That is exactly what I want to see, three impact starters at CB/S and DT (more of a NT)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Neville Gallimore and Randy Gregory - per da Voch Lombardi

( Our Young Bucks showed up in the trenches ! :D)

Gallimore is decent if he does not get double teamed.

If he gets one of those wham blocks where one OL blocks him and then another OL slams into him at an angle it gets ugly. It is important to have a good 1tech/0tech next to him.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Gallimore is decent if he does not get double teamed.

If he gets one of those wham blocks where one OL blocks him and then another OL slams into him at an angle it gets ugly. It is important to have a good 1tech/0tech next to him.
I agree. Gallimore and Hill are much better suited to be 3T where they can use their athleticism. If Gallimore continues to progress, I think the offseason should be focused on finding a stud NG, as opposed to another 3T.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Gregory is the most talented player on the defense.

His ability to play the run against 320 pound OL is really amazing. Seeing him bull-rush an OT just seems to defy physics.

Do you know through your film study, if the DT's were two gapping?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree. Gallimore and Hill are much better suited to be 3T where they can use their athleticism. If Gallimore continues to progress, I think the offseason should be focused on finding a stud NG, as opposed to another 3T.

An impact NT would free up the 3T's and the linebackers behind them.

quickccc

Reaction score
An impact NT would free up the 3T's and the linebackers behind them.

I admit that I really want to see less of Jaylon ...and more of a pairing of LVE and Sean Lee as Voch's All-22 illustrated.
Or at least LVE and Joe Thomas.

Just not a fan of Jaylon Smith and I think his game really hurts this defense and makes it a lesser unit, imo.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Neville Gallimore and Randy Gregory - per da Voch Lombardi

( Our Young Bucks showed up in the trenches ! :D)

He makes a great point how the DL appeared to be attacking the gaps more on Sunday opposed to the read and react 2-gap they were playing earlier this season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hill was much better against double teams this season than Gallimore has been.

Hill played as a 3-4 NT for 2 of 3 college seasons.

Obviously Hill is not an NFL 0tech but he is very strong.

They both have great quickness for players over 300 pounds.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you know through your film study, if the DT's were two gapping?

They were in Nickel the entire game and played more 1-gap than 2-gap.

The Cowboys next game might be the worst match-up for the Cowboys defense.

The Vikings are a strong zone running team which has been the Cowboys biggest struggle to defend going back to the 2018 season and it continued into this season.

They also play the 49ers later this season and the Niners were a machine on zone running last season.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Gallimore flashes enormous upside

It had been a tough rookie year for Neville Gallimore, who struggled to transition his skill set against elevated opposition in a completely new scheme. He struggled to hold his ground at the point of attack, couldn’t get off of blocks, was often displaced from his gap and was largely ineffective as a pass rusher.

It shouldn’t be a surprise that Dallas' run defense magically improved -- it allowed 2.6 yards per carry Sunday after giving up 5.1 entering the game -- when the defensive tackles finally put together a good performance. Gallimore’s ability to not only penetrate and disrupt but also maintain his gap integrity and get off of blocks made life much easier on the linebackers. This helped the structure of Dallas' run defense remain solid throughout the game.

Gallimore did a much better job of maintaining a low pad level, and the leverage created by that enabled him to maximize his power and play strength. This translated both against the pass and run.

On his three tackles, Gallimore did an excellent job of attacking edges with quickness and power to penetrate through his gap. What made those plays so impressive is they all came against Steelers right guard David DeCastro, a five-time Pro-Bowler and three-time All-Pro.

Even more impressive than those plays was Gallimore’s pressure against eight-time Pro-Bowler and five-time All-Pro Maurkice Pouncey after the two-minute warning in the second quarter

Gallimore on this play is aligned with a tight shade opposite DeCastro, but when the ball is snapped, he spiked inside to pick the center as part of his twist stunt with Justin Hamilton (No. 79). It wasn’t like Pouncey was caught by surprise, Gallimore just did an excellent job of using violent hands along with great leverage, hand placement, timing and arm extension to put Pouncey on his back before laying a massive hit on Roethlisberger.

Although he wasn’t able to sustain his pass-rush success throughout the game, it was great to see Gallimore flash some ability to make an impact as an interior rusher, something Dallas has sorely lacked this season.

Gallimore’s upside has always been enormous, but Sunday was the first time he flashed it in a Cowboys uniform.
Two gapping requires defenders to engage blockers and read the play and disengage. The disengage is where Dallas has the issues. The dallas personnel are more quick and fast and not so much strong which means they get washed out when they have to two gap. The scheme does not favor the Marinelli type of DL that use speed and quickness to get a spot before the offense does. The same goes for the LB, this LB Corp was built on the guys up front to tie up blockers so the LB make the play. Our LB are not built to shed blocks effectively from 300 LB OL.