New coaches = free agency?

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would love that but I just checked the Sportrac website and it says he has one year left on his original contract, plus a 5th year option in 2021 (it doesn't say how much).

I believe the Jets would eat the cap hit for the signing bonus (3.5MM in 2020) so if we did acquire him there would only be a 3.5MM cap hit in 2020 for his salary and roster bonus. That would be a bargain but it would be like the Amari Cooper trade in that we would only have two years of him guaranteed.
Sorry for the erroneous info. I really like this guy and the Cowboys have a real need for a great strong safety, no offense to Heath. Thanks for correcting me.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yeah not sure that works when he’s not under contract. Maybe if he had a year left. But I’m surely no cap expert so am probably wrong.

It isn't hard to structure it that way, with a low signing bonus and more on the backend. That is what Dallas did with Zeke.

The Eagles did it with Wentz by giving him a lower signing bonus but then putting similar money into roster bonuses throughout the contract. That is protection for the team against that brittle wuss, sorry, Carson Wentz, going out with an injury.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Sorry for the erroneous info. I really like this guy and the Cowboys have a real need for a great strong safety, no offense to Heath. Thanks for correcting me.

I wasn't sure either.

The situation with Heath is going to be interesting, it would be sports-funny if he got a big contract from another team.

Carson

Reaction score
I wasn't sure either.

The situation with Heath is going to be interesting, it would be sports-funny if he got a big contract from another team.

I'm hoping Vonn Bell is in play. He was rated #1 against the run as a safety. Let Woods roam and put Bell near the LOS

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'm hoping Vonn Bell is in play. He was rated #1 against the run as a safety. Let Woods roam and put Bell near the LOS

But can Vonn Bell handle Field Goals?????

Kidding, I would love that. I would like to see Heath come back as a backup and ST guys but who knows what the FA market will do with him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
McCarthy and crew have a lot of work to do before FA to make a determination of who they are going to be saddled with that will make or break they coaching tenure here in Dallas.

Dak, Cooper and B Jones decisions will seal a good portion of their fate!

I would say that I don't think he would have taken the job if he did not think he could win being saddled with Dak.
Yeah if I have my choice of teams I’m going to the team with a quarterback in place.