New Dallas Coaching staff includes 20 coaches

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't have chosen an old retread who couldn't do any better than linebackers coach at this point in is career. Nobody wants Mike Nolan to run their defense.

Go get a young up-and-comer. Geez, go get Wade Phillips. Somebody young who's been around a dominant defense, or somebody older who has coordinated one.

so basically anyone? and sure, Wade would come back here? plenty of coaches say "I want to work for Dallas" Lordy best franchise to work with right now. I get your opinion, but right now, this is about MM and MM is making his mark hes going for guys he trusts and can get here. Who knows who he asked and they said no. I dont know personally.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't have chosen an old retread who couldn't do any better than linebackers coach at this point in is career. Nobody wants Mike Nolan to run their defense.

Go get a young up-and-comer. Geez, go get Wade Phillips. Somebody young who's been around a dominant defense, or somebody older who has coordinated one.
I think it is stupid to judge nolan based on his past gigs, and before the 2020 season.
People change and learn, so he may be different and better DC than he was in the past.
I will wait and judge players and coaches after the season starts, say mid point, after 8 games, then we can have a good idea of how they are doing.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Fair to say that's the largest coaching staff in the league? Purty sure twould be.

I'm wondering what's the guiding philosophy behind that, and hope someone will ask McC that question. Is it that he feels that coaching staffs are overworked as a rule, and that, given Jerry's openness to it, he wanted to spread the division of labor out? Or, is it that some of these guys are actually going to be subsumed in the "analytics" work that he wants to initiate? Or something else?

Iago33

Reaction score
Fair to say that's the largest coaching staff in the league? Purty sure twould be.

I'm wondering what's the guiding philosophy behind that, and hope someone will ask McC that question. Is it that he feels that coaching staffs are overworked as a rule, and that, given Jerry's openness to it, he wanted to spread the division of labor out? Or, is it that some of these guys are actually going to be subsumed in the "analytics" work that he wants to initiate? Or something else?
I heard we had 25 coaches last year.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I count 19, but I have to admit, I didn't even realize it was that many.

(I don't count Strength & Conditioning, no offense to them.)

2020-01-28_1332.png

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We get a more experienced staff. Not every position is an upgrade though. I think the OL, LB, and ST units will see improvement but we had some really bad coaching with ST and LB last year. This won't matter if we fail to address some serious lack of talent along the defense.

Gaede

Reaction score
exactly. Better than the group of “learn on the jobbers” we had last year

No kidding. Sure some of these guys have already won a super bowl, but I don't want them because I preferred when we hired players off the street like Colombo and from high school like Kitna to be professional coaches in the NFL. Cause that was really working for us!

blueblood70

Reaction score
I count 19, but I have to admit, I didn't even realize it was that many.

(I don't count Strength & Conditioning, no offense to them.)

2020-01-28_1332.png
so about the same as before glad that narrative of over hiring has been put to bed..

how about others staffs? league average? does it matter? no matter what Jerry does this place will say its different and wrong and every time its proved to be the opposite..lmao

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This forum will turn on Fat Mikey too if he can’t take us further than we’ve been. They turned on everyone else.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What I don’t understand is why Jerry kept JG so long, appeared to love the man, wanted him to be successful, gave him chance after chance, BUT never came to the point of allowing him to hire his own coaches or to actually control the offense and defensive approaches under a single philosophy. The two approaches just make no sense to me.

_sturt_

Reaction score
so about the same as before glad that narrative of over hiring has been put to bed..

how about others staffs? league average? does it matter? no matter what Jerry does this place will say its different and wrong and every time its proved to be the opposite..lmao

That's actually misplaced. Mine have been honest questions out of curiosity. And I know why you'd say that ("no matter..."), but I wouldn't be one of those who falls in that category in this place.