Twitter: New kickoff rules

reddyuta

Reaction score
i think this will not eliminate injuries but will mitigate them but we we see more big returns on kickoffs which are not touch backs.Teams wont even take the risk now but aim for touchback everytime.

Lutonio

Reaction score
We'll see how it works out in an actual season. I think people really just want the excitement, and it will be there if teams manage to run a few back.

reddyuta

Reaction score
BTW who is our kick returner? i vote tavon Austin because with his speed he is going to take advantage of huge open spaces if he can actually return it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just put the ball at the 50 for kickoffs. Every kickoff would be a touchback or onsides kick.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
What if the kicker kicked from the 50. All players have to lineup within 5 yards of the “LOS”

If it goes through the end zone it’s a safety or a redo or a penalty or whatever.

It’s a lot of action but not a lot of full speed collisions

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Good question. I would think not.

I assume so for the kicking team. The returning team can probably move players up.

The "no blocking zone" was interesting for its effect on onside kicks. The kicking team doesn't get a running start, but that they can't be blocked either.

Cowboy-33

Reaction score
Would have been nice for some clarification from NFL about the onside kicks. They have to leave some chance for excitement there or comebacks at end of game would be hampered big time.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Just put the ball at the 50 for kickoffs. Every kickoff would be a touchback or onsides kick.

I actually thought they might try and combine the extra point and the kickoff. Kickoff from the 40....off a tee...(no rush) if it's good...treat it like an extra point...other team gets possession. If it's short...then it's returnable.;)

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
The game keeps changing and the injuries just get worse and worse. You either have to take the attitude that being an NFL player is akin to winning the lottery and a huge amount of risk comes with it or just gradually degrade the game until there is nothing left.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
For short kicks like that, I'd punt instead of kick...force a fair catch just about every time and have the opposition starting most drives inside their own ten. At least, that would be my approach.

conner01

Reaction score
What about onside kicks? Still have to have everybody line up the same?
I don’t think the traditional on side kick will work
The kicking team can’t get a running start
Now the onside kick will likely be pooched over the front line and be a race for the ball

Swanny

Reaction score

I may be in the minority on this but I think they hit the nail on the head with these rules. This will make kick returns more exciting. I think this will make for longer returns (If it's not a touchback). With no running start I really think it gives the return team a clear advantage.
The only thing that concerns me is the no blocking zone. What happens on, on side kicks? I think this will essentially eliminate any chance at recovering an onside kick. If I'm on the return team just take 1 step forward and the kicking team can't touch you?

conner01

Reaction score
The KO rule isn’t the only change that is a big change
It appears the new helmet rule will make a huge change in oline blocking
Since you can’t lower your head a 3 point stance is out the window
And those short yardage plays were the lowest guy wins are out since you lead with your head

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I may be in the minority on this but I think they hit the nail on the head with these rules. This will make kick returns more exciting. I think this will make for longer returns (If it's not a touchback). With no running start I really think it gives the return team a clear advantage.
The only thing that concerns me is the no blocking zone. What happens on, on side kicks? I think this will essentially eliminate any chance at recovering an onside kick. If I'm on the return team just take 1 step forward and the kicking team can't touch you?

I agree. They will have to address the onside kicks but everything else seems like a reasonable approach if they want to keep kickoffs as part of the game. Also, it was developed with a combination of all time special teams players (like Steve Tasker), special teams coaches and trainers. Concussions occur five times more on kickoffs than on any other football play, so input from these guys was pretty comprehensive, I'm sure.

Let's see how it goes. Outline it in pencil and be prepared to erase as it evolves.