Twitter: New kickoff rules

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Good question. I would think not.
DuDe!,,,you just Laid the new league's RULES on the KICK-OFF down for us,,,,:huh:,,,W.T.H.???
*it'll be exactly the same,,,regardless of whatever slicky-boy scheme teams &GOD'S WILL might wish to employo_O

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The only thing about changing the kicker is they would expect it
Jones is such a good athlete he could kick and recover lol
There will be teams who spend lots of time on figuring it out
One thing I thing will change is teams kicking it short of end zone to force a return
That will probably go away

That's probably true, but I think you could still kick it kinda deep on a dropkick depending on who the guy is that's doing the dropkick.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
That's probably true, but I think you could still kick it kinda deep on a dropkick depending on who the guy is that's doing the dropkick.
I recall maybe twice seeing the offense employ that "dropkick'" option on 3rd downs,,,o_O
* they can punt it away anytime & if lucks with them, gain deep field position on the hoped for recovery.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I recall maybe twice seeing the offense employ that "dropkick'" option on 3rd downs,,,o_O
* they can punt it away anytime & if lucks with them, gain deep field position on the hoped for recovery.

Oh, so if you do a dropkick as a punt, and recover it, then it's still your ball?

Chrispierce

Reaction score
That’s bull!!! No wedge blocks? No doing this,no doing that...well what’s the point then? Look,if they can’t handle physical play? Then just go be an arena league. I’ve had it with molesting the game the way they are. What is this flag football? What’s next? “No pressuring QBs,or tackles below the waist.”? Good grief....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Okay, that'd be a great tactic to use then. I love the idea of dropkicks (mainly because I also like rugby lol). Cuz it'd be cool to have Chris Jones do it, and then go get the ball. That'd be a brilliant tactic if we can make it work. How awesome would it be to see Jones do that, and we recover it at the opposing 25? Talk about turning momentum!

MistyAnn

Reaction score
With out that wedge you don't know now which side of the field the runs coming from, there is going to be more run backs for big yardage if you have a good return man.
I guess being in effect for one season, this will be revisited and tweaked again next. I don't want to see anyone get hurt especially concussions.
the lowering of the head rule, calling this as a penalty is going to get real dicey unless its blatantly done.
Yes, everyone is going to be lowering their heads, its a potential "flag on every play rule"

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Here's a video I posted on a thread that I made involving my dropkick idea. If you notice how he kicks it, it could be a rather easy onside kick to recover depending on how you hit it.

MistyAnn

Reaction score
Ok I'll play, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this rule becomes very subjective and keeps the zebras playing in the games.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Yes, everyone is going to be lowering their heads, its a potential "flag on every play rule"
See...what’s the point then? Can’t lower your head...well what CAN they do? How’s a guy supposed to make a tackle,or a FB going to block? This is getting ridiculous. I don’t understand any of this game anymore. I grew up on “football” not chess,and rule sub-committee jargon. A TD isn’t a TD,a tackle is a personal foul. Sneezing and farting is a 10yd pre-snap penalty...it’s just too much.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This will be similar to kick offs after a Safety except not from the 20.

75% of kickoffs are touchbacks. This rule won’t have much impact except in inclement weather.

I think we will see less penalties . Overall not a bad solution to address the concerns.

CPanther95

Reaction score
What they should do is :
Whoever scores the TD has to kick the extra point and the ensuing kickoff.

Of course while 31 teams are getting kicking lessons for their receivers, Garrett will be getting Bailey a Route Guru.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
That’s bull!!! No wedge blocks? No doing this,no doing that...well what’s the point then? Look,if they can’t handle physical play? Then just go be an arena league. I’ve had it with molesting the game the way they are. What is this flag football? What’s next? “No pressuring QBs,or tackles below the waist.”? Good grief....
I understand what you are saying but all in all I have no problem with all the rules and making the kickoff safer I just wish they would'nt/won't eliminate it which they already have for probably more than half the kickoffs. Please put the ball back at the 30 and let these guys actually return the ball.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
This will be similar to kick offs after a Safety except not from the 20.

75% of kickoffs are touchbacks. This rule won’t have much impact except in inclement weather.

I think we will see less penalties . Overall not a bad solution to address the concerns.

It amazes me how they couldn't figure this **** out the past 3-4 years that they have been trying to make the kickoff safer. Stop the guys from getting a ten yard start, wow oh mighty NFL who figured it out. Now all they need to figure out for the concussions is to go back to leather helmets.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
See...what’s the point then? Can’t lower your head...well what CAN they do? How’s a guy supposed to make a tackle,or a FB going to block? This is getting ridiculous. I don’t understand any of this game anymore. I grew up on “football” not chess,and rule sub-committee jargon. A TD isn’t a TD,a tackle is a personal foul. Sneezing and farting is a 10yd pre-snap penalty...it’s just too much.

Well, that's why the NFL should look to it's sporting ancestor for answers. Not saying that it's the perfect solution, but I think the injuries would go substantially down if they do that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well, I saw on here, but Idk if it's true, that if the kicking team recovers a dropkick, then they get the ball.

Which, if true, is quite similar to rugby, and, more importantly, should be tried more. If you have a chance to get the ball using a rugby dropkick, why not do that?