Twitter: New kickoff rules

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Which, if true, is quite similar to rugby, and, more importantly, should be tried more. If you have a chance to get the ball using a rugby dropkick, why not do that?

I believe it's because as soon as it leaves the kicker's foot there is a change in possession, regardless if the ball hits the ground prior to the punt.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Ah, fair enough. Still, I'd reckon that it would cause quite the bounce if done properly.

You got me curious and I had some time so I looked into it. Here's probably your answer:

"No defensive player may run into or rough a kicker who kicks from behind the line unless such contact:"

"3. occurs during a quick kick or rugby-style kick"

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/roughing-or-running-into-the-kicker/

Basically the kicker would get creamed every time with no possibility of a penalty.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Did they change the rules recently? Just curious because Brady did it from time to time and it was purely to gain field position.

Like I implied in that response to our fellow member & friend furboy , my admired tribal member of the string pulling clan of bye-bye $22 in 220 ft per second +,,, of the archaic projectile lobber tribe,,, it's such a rarity to witness ,as I'm thinking it was either a Commanders or dolphins maneuver I recall seeing as a young kid of football fandom,,, I don't believe the terminology of a 'dropkick' & a punt the ball away on any offensive down are meshing in the meaningful aspects of understanding, now! A high arched pooch kick within 20-30 yards, stands a surprisingly good chance of the kicking team recovering in the ensuing confusion of Slack jawed D.B.'S,,, I never did believe it was a " free ball" like the concept of any onsides kicko_O

Last edited:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Ya,know? Should #72 hike the ball directly to our #38 in the backfield of our offensive formation and he
' drop- kicks' it as he slides to the left or right 5 yards laterally ,that's an NFL ' DROP KICK as compared to a PUNT from my accrued observations of the gameo_O

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Like I implied in that response to our fellow member & friend furboy , my admired tribal member of the string pulling clan of bye-bye $22 in 220 ft per second +,,, of the archaic projectile lobber tribe,,, it's such a rarity to witness ,as I'm thinking it was either a Commanders or dolphins maneuver I recall seeing as a young kid of football fandom,,, I don't believe the terminology of a 'dropkick' & a punt the ball away on any offensive down are meshing in the meaningful aspects of understanding, now! A high arched pooch kick within 20-30 yards, stands a surprisingly good chance of the kicking team recovering in the ensuing confusion of Slack jawed D.B.'S,,, I never did believe it was a " free ball" like the concept of any onsides kicko_O

Not a problem! I honestly didn't know if it buried in the new rule changes regarding kicking. Most DB's are taught to immediately call for a fair catch if they see a punt on third. It's probably a risk/reward thing depending on distance for the O. The vid I posted was 3rd and 8, so it worked. If it was 3rd and 20 there's going to be a lot of DB's planted 20 yards away.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score