Twitter: New league rule on lowering helmet

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I'm not seeing how this is diffeent from the 2013 rule:

NEW RULE: A ban on a ball carrier initiating contact with the crown of his helmet in the open field or by a defender while making a tackle.

What the rule changes:
A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Agreed. But it's because these rules are so vague and maje it a judgement call on the officials. Just making the game worse. Players should NEVER lower there head to make contact though.

Exactly, that is the general rule of thumb, and doing that is why the Steelers will not have Ryan Shazier in 2018.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Honestly, what the NFL SHOULD do is have rugby coaches show them the proper tackling techniques. If you've ever watched a rugby match on television, then you'll notice how rugby players use excellent form in tackling. They don't lead with the heads (mainly because the only helmet they might have is a leather helmet), and they wrap up. Thus, if I were Jason Garrett, I'd invite the head coach of the New Zealand rugby team to the Star, and ask for him to teach our team rugby tackling techniques. It would improve player safety, and it would prevent us from being flagged for this rule.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good tackling form:

giphy.gif

Bad tackling form:

giphy.gif

The Natural

Reaction score
Honestly, what the NFL SHOULD do is have rugby coaches show them the proper tackling techniques. If you've ever watched a rugby match on television, then you'll notice how rugby players use excellent form in tackling. They don't lead with the heads (mainly because the only helmet they might have is a leather helmet), and they wrap up. Thus, if I were Jason Garrett, I'd invite the head coach of the New Zealand rugby team to the Star, and ask for him to teach our team rugby tackling techniques. It would improve player safety, and it would prevent us from being flagged for this rule.

Not even necessary, the league just needs more smart football coaches willing to spend more time on the fundamentals. I think ESPN ran a segment on Seattle and how Pete Carroll coached up their DBs to form tackle, this was at the peak of LOB..those guys were great. Hell even when I started playing pop warner as a kid we were taught the head goes on whichever side of the body the ball is, wrap up, and drive. Always see what you hit. I dont know where these guys learned to tackle.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not even necessary, the league just needs more smart football coaches willing to spend more time on the fundamentals. I think ESPN ran a segment on Seattle and how Pete Carroll coached up their DBs to form tackle, this was at the peak of LOB..those guys were great. Hell even when I started playing pop warner as a kid we were taught the head goes on whichever side of the body the ball is, wrap up, and drive. Always see what you hit. I dont know where these guys learned to tackle.

I believe that I've seen the video that you saw. Here it is:

dogberry

Reaction score
What is the concussion rate in Rugby?

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
They should have at least started this ruling in highschool so these kids can develop a habit

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Lol

I guess I’m in the minority that loves this. Count me in the anti brain damage group. Please get players to properly form tackle now

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Really, according to a cousin of mine in England who plays rugby, he told me that the biggest threat for concussions in rugby is the scrum. Like, as long as you tackle properly in rugby, both the tackler and the tackled should escape without too much in the way of injury. The scrum, however, is the worst bit of it. Really, if someone's going to get a concussion in rugby, it's probably from the scrum.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Maybe Richard will teach that to our defenders.

I certainly hope so, but, like I said, we should have the coach of New Zealand come in and teach our players proper rugby tackling techniques. After all, rugby is the sport from which American Football found its origin.