New Netflix Series - Sunderland Till I Die

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Skullmiester, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Skullmiester

Skullmiester Member

50 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    The 2 sporting loves of my life are Sunderland AFC and the Dallas Cowboys.

If you lads and lasses on the other side of the pond want to get an insight into my football (soccer) team in the UK them if recommend this new series on Netflix.

We've been dropping down the league's for two seasons and this show follows the club through a disastrous season. Thankfully we are on the up again now.

I love Sunderland and the Cowboys in equal measures, roll on tomorrow my friend and everything crossed.

Rockport, Zordon and Shinaoi like this.
  2. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

17,437 Messages
    25,959 Likes Received
    I've read up on the '73 team and how big of a deal they were to the town at the time. It seems like Sunderland and Newcastle have the two most passionate fanbases in England. Even moreso than Liverpool. I hope yall make it back to the top league again soon.

Skullmiester likes this.
  3. Skullmiester

Skullmiester Member

50 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Thanks Zordon, that's very much appreciated.
    Yes when we won the fa cup in 1973 I was 3 but my brother and dad were at all the games. We were never supposed to get to the final never mind win it. Leeds were a world class team full of players who played for their country and we were a team of unknowns but very hungry and a never say die attitude. Sadly that is the last major trophy we have won. Looking really far back we were the best team in England only for the 2nd world war to start and all football was suspended, how unlucky is that.

Yes both ourselves and Newcastle are fanatical, we are only 15 miles apart but our accents are different and the rivalry is bitter. The biggest games of any season are when we play each other. Unfortunately despite it being an almost military operation by the police to keep supporters apart violence often occurs. In an infamous game a few years back a Newcastle supporter even punched a police horse - I kid you not.

We are doing well again this year and the new owners of the club have been amazing. Hopefully we can get promoted and then be one league from returning to the Premier league again.

They are doing a second series of the Netflix show which hopefully will be more enjoyable for me to watch.

Zordon likes this.
  4. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

17,437 Messages
    25,959 Likes Received
    Sunderland, Newcastle, Leeds, Nottm Forrest....just a few teams I wish were back on the top level. English football is better when these clubs are in the mix. As we all know the commitment of your OWNERSHIP plays a big role in modern football, so hopefully they continue to invest as much as Sunderland fans do every week. Besides the accents, what are some other differences btw Newcastle and Sunderland (the town/people/etc.).

5. Skullmiester

Skullmiester Member

50 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Obviously I am Sunderland supporter I will see things from my teams point of view but will be as objective as possible.

Newcastle as a city as a lot more going for it, it's on the main rail and road links into the north east and is closer to the main airport in the area. It has had millions more in investment spent on it and has a wealth of bars, restaurants and hotels.

Sunderland is poorer there's no doubting that, the city centre is improving but hasn't had anywhere near the same investment. They are both shipbuilding cities although that industry has pretty much died out. They are both working class cities and football is a religion, life for many people revolves around the football team.

I would say Sunderland supporters are more easy going and travelling away supporters get a friendly welcome in Sunderland whereas Newcastle supporters can be more aggressive. We played each other in a lower level cup competition 2 weeks ago and the travelling Newcastle supporters ripped seats out causing quite a bit of damage. I mentioned the police horse being punched which was after a game that we beat them at their ground after which a full on riot took place across the city. There have been several riots in Newcastle after they have had bad results with widespread damage and disorder occurring. In another 'derby game' (When 2 local rivals play each other) Newcastle supporters invaded the pitch to try and get the game abandoned as they were losing. I can honestly say there has never been any of those kind of instances at Sunderland.

It's probably the same in the USA in that who you support is hereditary and you are born into who you support.

Newcastle supporters are more active in protesting, they absolutely hate their current owner (Mike Ashley) and there are weekly protests against him and his other business interests.

The majority of rivalry between Sunderland and a Newcastle supporters is good natured, where I work it's a 50-50 split on who supports who therefore there is some good banter especially when we play each other.

I hope this is useful, let me know if you want to know anything else.

Zordon likes this.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

17,437 Messages
    25,959 Likes Received
    Great insight! I'm still surprised Newcastle hasn't been able to run out Ashley. I think they have the same problem as Cowboys fans, they sellout regardless. Meanwhile Blackpool fans are holding strong with their boycott of the team. I'll check out the new series on netflix. Last season I stopped watching after Gibson's comments made it public so I'll start back there.

Skullmiester likes this.
  7. Skullmiester

Skullmiester Member

50 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Ashley is a very vindictive man, when he was physically threatened and started receiving abuse for not spending enough money he has almost went out of his way to not give the Newcastle supporters what they want.

The premier league tv money is rolling into the club and he gets free advertising for his company sports direct therefore he is in no hurry to sell. To be fair to him, he has put millions into the club when he came as he wasn't told about the extent of all of the club's debt - to get the club he did not go through the books and was hoodwinked shall we say.

The Newcastle supporters have lots more protests planned, staying in the stadium after a game, going into games late, not buying club merchandise and not renewing season tickets.

As for Sunderland, the second series is not available yet but I would recommend watching the full first series. It isn't as perfect as the Man City series where everything has fell into place. We had an owner who wasn't interested, a couple of managers who couldn't do a thing with the players some of whom did not try which is unforgivable.

Our previous owner, Ellis Short, is from Missouri, to be fair to him although he lost interest he has wrote off millions of debt to allow the club to start again, I am very thankful for that amazing gesture.

I'm a bit out of touch but are most Cowboys fans unhappy with Jerry?

8. Skullmiester

Skullmiester Member

50 Messages
    52 Likes Received

Just thought I'd give you an update re Blackpool, they are playing their first game today after the previous pathetic owners have left.

Below is a message that has been posted by a Blackpool fan on our Sunderland message board which sums it all up pretty well:

"Well chaps I'm emotional now as today is going to be my 1st Blackpool game in 5yrs... The whole town in buzzing. Nothing compared to your fan base (so don't laugh) but we've nearly sold 16k home tickets and today is looking like it will be our biggest home attendance for 40yrs..Amazing Emotional for lots of fans as going to have a minute silence for the fans that stayed away and never returned... 200+ in the programme today. RIP As for today, I'm off to my local ale House at 11.30 and at 2.15 they have organised a free open top bus to take us to ground, whilst there is a mass celebration march from town to ground where 40/50 X players are leading it. This article sums up everything today Blackpool fans prepare for many happy returns after ousting the Oystons Now the apology: this week I and many others have been down to the ground cleaning it up after years of deglect. How you lot sat in them conditions was truly awful.. an utter disgrace and that will never happen again. I won't bore and post again as this is cats forum but I'm just buzzing.. I've had some great banter with you lot, hopefully given you some good advice on pubs etc and u are like my 2nd team now (my best mate is a cats fan so that helps) ... Enjoy Wembley and I have no doubt you will be bringing that trophy home. All the best lads"

I was quite emotional after reading this I'm not ashamed to say.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Zordon likes this.
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

17,437 Messages
    25,959 Likes Received
    I've been following it on twitter. Amazing scenes and stories. The fans cleaning the stadium....thepitch invasions. I wish Cowboys fans had this type of resolve. We've treated Jerry too kindly.

Skullmiester likes this.