new york post: teams will dare eli to beat them rest of way

Reaction score
TEAMS WILL DARE ELI TO BEAT THEM REST OF WAY

The game changes for the Giants with Plaxico BurressPlaxico Burress
t.gif
gone and no one to draw double coverage, so don't expect them to run for 200 or more yards in a game anytime soon (see Eagles game).Big Blue's Super Bowl hopes and dreams will come down to Pass/Fail.

I confronted Manning with that burden yesterday and he didn't even blink.
Those slumped shoulders of yesteryear have given way to a Bring It On swagger - what every championship team needs to see in its leader.

They will dare Manning to beat them from here to Super Bowl XLIII, especially given January in East Rutherford if and when the Giants clinch that No. 1 seed, and he will relish taking that dare.

"I like throwing the ball, believe it or not," Manning said. "That's my position, that's what I'm here for. I take pride in our running game, and try to get us in and out of good runs, but I still like to throw it. That's what I grew up doing."
Placing this kind of onus on Manning a year ago at this time would have frightened Giants fans to death, but not now. Asking Giant fans whether they'd prefer Manning over Tony Romo a year ago would have been dismissed as folly, but not now. Manning knows this offense so well, he loves The Big Game so much, that he has reached the stage of his development where he is fully capable of making everyone around him better, so don't sweat the Eagles game.

"Playing playoff games, and you win some of those big games, it gives you sense, and your teammates a sense that no matter what happens, how we start, or what's going on in the game, we're gonna find a way to win this game, we're gonna find a way to bounce back," Manning said.

The Giants are NFC East champions for plenty of reasons - the best offensive line in football, the legs of Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward and John Carney, the pugnacious defense, Tom Coughlin and his coaching staff, superior veteran leadership - and the winner who plays quarterback.

His won-lost record is 41-27. Phil Simms was 34-34 after the same 68 games, before finishing 95-64, with two Super Bowl rings. Simms had Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson and Carl Banks on his side - and Joe Morris and later Ottis Anderson - but when Bill Parcells asked him to go win the game, he could, and did (see Pasadena). Manning has Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka and Antonio Pierce on his side - and Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward - but when Coughlin asks him to win the game, he can, and will.

"We have a dominant defense, we have a strong running attack, but you gotta have a quarterback who can throw it when they dare you to throw it, and that's what I hope - I hope they stack eight guys in the box, that's what I'm looking for," Manning said. "When they're playing two safeties high, and you can't run the ball and they can sit there and play two safeties high, and you have to throw, that's not a good situation, that's when things are tough."

Manning reported to work yesterday morning a loser for only the third time since the 2007 regular-season finale against the Patriots and first time since Oct. 13 in Cleveland.

"It's been a while since we've lost games around here; it's got to the point where we're not used to it, and that's a good thing," Manning said. "You forget how bad it is losing around here, and that's also good, so hopefully we get back to that winning feeling."

Against another desperate team, the hated Cowboys.

"They're in a must-win situation, and we gotta have that philosophy also," Manning said. "They're fighting for the playoffs, we're fighting for home field and a first-round bye, we know we got Carolina and Tampa right on out back and whoever wins that game [last night], so we gotta step up and we gotta win a couple of these last games."

Getcha popcorn ready.

steve.serby@nypost.com

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The Giants peaked early, this is the decline and the fade...

Boysboy

Reaction score
All the TO-haters should take note here too...he's just as valuable to our offense as Plaxico was to NY's, and for the same exact reasons to boot.

You want him off our team, fine-just look how much of a dent it's put on NY's.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2476921 said:
The Giants peaked early, this is the decline and the fade...

While they aren't the same without Plax, don't count them out yet. To bet on a division game is just asking to lose your money. You can never know that outcome before the game.

Also, with all the success the Giants were having and the struggles of the Eagles, it's not to difficult for me to believe that the Giants were overlooking the Eagles and got completely dominated because of it.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2476922 said:
All the TO-haters should take note here too...he's just as valuable to our offense as Plaxico was to NY's, and for the same exact reasons to boot.

You want him off our team, fine-just look how much of a dent it's put on NY's.

After one game you came to that conclusion? They played the Eagles who are like us, playing for their play off lives.

It's not like they lost to Detroit or the Rams.

The Eagles could very well take us out, and we will have owens.

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2476963 said:
After one game you came to that conclusion? They played the Eagles who are like us, playing for their play off lives.

It's not like they lost to Detroit or the Rams.

The Eagles could very well take us out, and we will have owens.

Ya! because "Six Shooter" Plax kills the Eagles. They usually roll coverage towrd him. Now, the Eagles played eight in the box, played man coverage.

Losing gun-slinger hurt the Giants and may hurt them down the road. None the less, the Giants are a good team that I do respect.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I do believe we'll beat them Sunday because we have to. We really have no choice.

But I also can easily see them winding up losing 3 straight after we've beaten them. That would put them at two straight and I believe they play the Panthers next week and that is certainly a game I could see them losing. I wouldn't be shocked, at all, if they head into the playoff having lost at least 3 out of their final 4.

It's not exactly like this would be entirely shocking with their franchise either. Last year they saddled up and played better in the playoffs but they've not exactly been the best December team for the last few years either.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2477031 said:
Ya! because "Six Shooter" Plax kills the Eagles. They usually roll coverage towrd him. Now, the Eagles played eight in the box, played man coverage.

Losing gun-slinger hurt the Giants and may hurt them down the road. None the less, the Giants are a good team that I do respect.

:lmao2:

I'm sure not having "gun slinger" hurt some.:)
I'm also sure having others nicked up or injured hurt just as much.
Plus the Philly D played pretty well.

Oh and Westbrook going for over two hundred all purpose yards probably didn't help.;)

So did the Giants D play all that well?

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477065 said:

Oh and Westbrook going for over two hundred all purpose yards probably didn't help.;)

That is what happens in the NFC East!!! You just never know! One thing you will know it will always be smash-mouth football!!!! Know matter what the records are of the respective teams you know it will be a fist-fight to the finish!

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477065 said:

Even Dawkins *admitted* that not having Burress in there made their game-planning ALOT easier.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2477068 said:
That is what happens in the NFC East!!! You just never know! One thing you will know it will always be smash-mouth football!!!! Know matter what the records are of the respective teams you know it will be a fist-fight to the finish!

And the Eagles had 10 days rest, while the Giants were coming off 2 grueling road games. Reid's only loss coming off a bye was that Super Bowl, so his team usually plays really well anyways coming off the bye.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2477069 said:
Even Dawkins *admitted* that not having Burress in there made their game-planning ALOT easier.

Sure it did. Why wouldn't it? But is Burris the whole Giants offense?
The Giants won't figure out a way to do things different? Not every one has coaches like ours.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2477072 said:
And the Eagles had 10 days rest, while the Giants were coming off 2 grueling road games. Reid's only loss coming off a bye was that Super Bowl, so his team usually plays really well anyways coming off the bye.

What does that have to do with Burris? The Giant running game was terrible.
Don't they feed off that to get the passing going? They are number one rushing in the NFL and in the middle passing.

That didn't just happen.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2477068 said:

Agreed. It's always fun to watch. But The Giants were putrid compared to normal on Sunday. The whole team, not just the offense.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477086 said:
Sure it did. Why wouldn't it? But is Burris the whole Giants offense?
The Giants won't figure out a way to do things different? Not every one has coaches like ours.

Burress' presence forced opposing D's to give safety help over the top, not giving them the luxury to put him in the box to stop the Giants' run game. Like I said-even Dawkins admitted it helped their D simplify things alot more.

But you are right, Couglin/Gilbride >>> Wade/Garrett-it wouldn't surprise me if in the coming weeks, they make effective adjustments to counter 8 men in the box. After all-those 70's Steelers ran successfully against 8 men in the box all the time.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477098 said:
Agreed. It's always fun to watch. But The Giants were putrid compared to normal on Sunday. The whole team, not just the offense.

OTOH-I have to agree with this-when you come off a LONG win streak, your bound to look sloppy subsequently.

Unlike our coaches, Coughlin emphasizes accountability, and his players will respond so.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2477099 said:
Burress' presence forced opposing D's to give safety help over the top, not giving them the luxury to put him in the box to stop the Giants' run game. Like I said-even Dawkins admitted it helped their D simplify things alot more.

But you are right, Couglin/Gilbride >>> Wade/Garrett-it wouldn't surprise me if in the coming weeks, they make effective adjustments to counter 8 men in the box. After all-those 70's Steelers ran successfully against 8 men in the box all the time.

I just think almost any team that loses a starting WR is easier to play for a game maybe two.
But I think most coaches would make adjustments to counter it.
The Giants will. Like you said, their coaches vs ours.