Next season smells like a disaster

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree. After reading the Rob Davis article and seeing what they are trying to do with culture, change in direction etc I think we can get some of these more talented guys to hopefully get out of the JG mindset and flip a switch. I'm looking positively at this.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
lots of changes...i give them a flop year before getting things on track.

i dont think even the hoodie could fix all of red clappers fails in one season

foofighters

Reaction score
Jason Garrett might beat you twice next year. Then what?

Imagine....he just went 6-0 against the Giants, so what if he goes 2-0 next year against the Cowboys?

If he turns Jones and Barkley and that offense into a high-scoring offense, this place will go nuts.
What happened to this offense after Sparano left? The team looked good at times but his unwillingness to adapt and change was ultimately his downfall. Jason Garrett is a regular season wonder boy but in the post season, he aint all that and never will be. He doesn't have the stones.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The concern of the number of open spots on this roster due to how many current members are FAs is a legit concern.

However I think it is a bit of trolling to already think it is a disaster before we see how FA and the draft goes.

Might be nice to see what the roster looks like before automatically giving up and declaring it a disaster.

Heck at this point why not just say we avoid playing any games because the cloud of doom is already on the team and there seems to be little chance of a winning season.

Then again...meh no need to act drama queens IMO.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Brand new coaches. Now's probably a good time to change course with this roster, too.

It's ugly around here right now.

Cooper looks like a bad signing waiting to happen. Some teams are going to overpay for Byron Jones and Anthony Brown. Zeke looks noticeably slower and aging fast. Jaylon's contract was a woeful mistake. Quinn is probably gone. LVE looks like he's not long for the football world. Byron and Zack have back issues, which seldom get better. Frederick is still recovering from something only Vulcan's can pronounce. Dak isn't worth more than $25 million per year, if that. Safety and defensive tackle are still gaping holes. Tight end remains a big question. We don't even have a reliable punter and kicker.

Now, enter Jerry's band of re-tread coaches. Now at 20 and counting. Are we going to hire a left guard coach next? Do any of them know magic?

Next year smells bad. Like 7-9 bad. Even worse, the roster looks to be regressing and aging rapidly. The window may have already closed on this bunch.

So what now? Scheme can't fix this as much as some want. It's highly unlikely that there's a bag of plays and coverages that will fix what we witnessed last year. This team needs players, different ones, and a lot of them.

Or, somehow this franchise needs to start stockpiling picks and devise a way to build the next contender. You have to be aggressive because these days, rebuilds are three-year projects, not five. Free agency won't allow anything longer.

Yet, the Cowboys keep trying to play the middle. Not aggressive in free agency, and not aggressive in rebuilding. Just treading water.

There is no easy answer here. The Cowboys are between the rock and the proverbial hard place. Do they suffer the PR hit of deconstruction, or do they press on and dump untold millions on the likes of Dak, Cooper, Jones, Quinn, and the very necessary other free agents to make this work? They should choose the former, though they'll likely choose the latter. Jerry's days are dwindling.

We just witnessed perhaps the ugliest season in Cowboys history. Subtract the Rams game, and what exactly happened? They lost the most winnable NFC East in history. They basically blew bunny layups all year long after a 3-0 start.

It ain't good.
Its what we get for not maximizing the rookie QB contract window. Now we have to hope that coaching can compensate for a lack of depth across the team.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Brand new coaches. Now's probably a good time to change course with this roster, too.

It's ugly around here right now.

Cooper looks like a bad signing waiting to happen. Some teams are going to overpay for Byron Jones and Anthony Brown. Zeke looks noticeably slower and aging fast. Jaylon's contract was a woeful mistake. Quinn is probably gone. LVE looks like he's not long for the football world. Byron and Zack have back issues, which seldom get better. Frederick is still recovering from something only Vulcan's can pronounce. Dak isn't worth more than $25 million per year, if that. Safety and defensive tackle are still gaping holes. Tight end remains a big question. We don't even have a reliable punter and kicker.

Now, enter Jerry's band of re-tread coaches. Now at 20 and counting. Are we going to hire a left guard coach next? Do any of them know magic?

Next year smells bad. Like 7-9 bad. Even worse, the roster looks to be regressing and aging rapidly. The window may have already closed on this bunch.

So what now? Scheme can't fix this as much as some want. It's highly unlikely that there's a bag of plays and coverages that will fix what we witnessed last year. This team needs players, different ones, and a lot of them.

Or, somehow this franchise needs to start stockpiling picks and devise a way to build the next contender. You have to be aggressive because these days, rebuilds are three-year projects, not five. Free agency won't allow anything longer.

Yet, the Cowboys keep trying to play the middle. Not aggressive in free agency, and not aggressive in rebuilding. Just treading water.

There is no easy answer here. The Cowboys are between the rock and the proverbial hard place. Do they suffer the PR hit of deconstruction, or do they press on and dump untold millions on the likes of Dak, Cooper, Jones, Quinn, and the very necessary other free agents to make this work? They should choose the former, though they'll likely choose the latter. Jerry's days are dwindling.

We just witnessed perhaps the ugliest season in Cowboys history. Subtract the Rams game, and what exactly happened? They lost the most winnable NFC East in history. They basically blew bunny layups all year long after a 3-0 start.

It ain't good.
I do think Jerry has made some investments in players and other roster moves that will hamstring McCarthy and Co. Can't really sound the doom and gloom alarm in January, but McCarthy better bring plan A#1 to camp.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As do I. If they don’t make the playoffs next season then they hired the wrong guy. I believe he’s the right guy personally.

I agree. I think the reason they hired McCarthy was about winning now. I think as many who have covered the NFL feel this team has a lot of talent on it which was why Garrett ended up getting fired because he was unable to get this talent to play to a consistent level and challenge in post season. I have no desire to break up the pity party but I sure as hell do not agree with them.

erod

Reaction score
I learned never mess with a man and his own personal misery. I don't share in this misery and feel good about this team heading into next season.
I said 7-9 before last season while everybody was waiving their pom poms. I just didn't see a complete team and I watched thre defense go downhill toward the end of 2018.

What has charged? A bunch of players are about to leave, and there are gaping holes everywhere.

7-9 as it stands. And Stephen doesn't pay big name free agents. He's got his own players to overpay.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. I think the reason they hired McCarthy was about winning now. I think as many who have covered the NFL feel this team has a lot of talent on it which was why Garrett ended up getting fired because he was unable to get this talent to play to a consistent level and challenge in post season. I have no desire to break up the pity party but I sure as hell do not agree with them.
Exactly. And I’m sure there will be some
Bumps and bruises. That’s why my ceiling isn’t Super Bowl. But no way should this team go 8-8 with Garrett and can’t do better with McCarthy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said 7-9 before last season while everybody was waiving their pom poms. I just didn't see a complete team and I watched thre defense go downhill toward the end of 2018.

What has charged? A bunch of players are about to leave, and there are gaping holes everywhere.

7-9 as it stands. And Stephen doesn't pay big name free agents. He's got his own players to overpay.
What was did you see that was less complete about the team going into last season than the season before, or the season before that?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's good to be REALLY bad so that you can rebuild with blue chip talent. If things go south quick, start shipping out vets for picks, get younger and get more cap space. don't sign any long term bad deals tyrone crawford style. give young guys more playing time and wait your turn 49ers style. Look at their team now after being dog crap for so long. Constantly getting top 10 picks in the draft will make you great.

Jason Garrett destroyed 2 windows, the Romo window and the Dak rookie deal window. Oline is now super expensive. if the vets are breaking down, start retooling.

I think the next year is a disaster is a bit of an overreaction atm. However, as painful as what you're describing is, I could see it so that we do a 49ers style rebuild. I just don't think that'll be the case.