Next season smells like a disaster

starfan1

Reaction score
That needed to happen last year.

But coaching changes almost never pan out in the NFL. They're largely irrelevant.

Andy Reid didn't change Kansas City so much. Patrick Mahomes did.

Kyle Shanahan is the exception. That guy is special. But his predecessors, Mike Nolan and Jim Tomula, didn't fare so well.

Mike Shanahan was terrific with John Elway. Not so much when he was at Oakland and Washington.

Getting rid of Garrett was needed. Adding McCarthy doesn't fix a problematic roster with fatal flaws. He's just another qualified coach.

I think that alex smith took kansas city on some decent runs as well they have been in playoffs every year but 2014 and Reid got there in 2013 so I would say hes made a significant impact but yes Mahomes is good. There problem was the patriots and lack of playoff success but this year they win.Plus look at reids record in Philly

Shanahan is a solid coach every one fails lately in oakland and washington. (Al Davis senile version RIP and Daniel Snyder) Coaching matters that said we have Jerry so we may still be screwed

conner01

Reaction score
I think I’ll wait and see the roster before writing off the season
There are major challenges with the roster and the timing of the new CBA effecting contracts
But if we can draft well and gets some solid FA help, while dealing with our own guy it can work out

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Brand new coaches. Now's probably a good time to change course with this roster, too.

It's ugly around here right now.

Cooper looks like a bad signing waiting to happen. Some teams are going to overpay for Byron Jones and Anthony Brown. Zeke looks noticeably slower and aging fast. Jaylon's contract was a woeful mistake. Quinn is probably gone. LVE looks like he's not long for the football world. Byron and Zack have back issues, which seldom get better. Frederick is still recovering from something only Vulcan's can pronounce. Dak isn't worth more than $25 million per year, if that. Safety and defensive tackle are still gaping holes. Tight end remains a big question. We don't even have a reliable punter and kicker.

Now, enter Jerry's band of re-tread coaches. Now at 20 and counting. Are we going to hire a left guard coach next? Do any of them know magic?

Next year smells bad. Like 7-9 bad. Even worse, the roster looks to be regressing and aging rapidly. The window may have already closed on this bunch.

So what now? Scheme can't fix this as much as some want. It's highly unlikely that there's a bag of plays and coverages that will fix what we witnessed last year. This team needs players, different ones, and a lot of them.

Or, somehow this franchise needs to start stockpiling picks and devise a way to build the next contender. You have to be aggressive because these days, rebuilds are three-year projects, not five. Free agency won't allow anything longer.

Yet, the Cowboys keep trying to play the middle. Not aggressive in free agency, and not aggressive in rebuilding. Just treading water.

There is no easy answer here. The Cowboys are between the rock and the proverbial hard place. Do they suffer the PR hit of deconstruction, or do they press on and dump untold millions on the likes of Dak, Cooper, Jones, Quinn, and the very necessary other free agents to make this work? They should choose the former, though they'll likely choose the latter. Jerry's days are dwindling.

We just witnessed perhaps the ugliest season in Cowboys history. Subtract the Rams game, and what exactly happened? They lost the most winnable NFC East in history. They basically blew bunny layups all year long after a 3-0 start.

It ain't good.

You're not wrong but I do disagree about Cooper being a bad signing.

He's still very young and a great talent. I don't buy that he was a healthy player this year because for about 10 weeks he was a top 3 receiver in football and then just took a giant nose dive.

I'm not a fan of the coaching hire at all but we will see. I think the Cowboys need to go with a flashy hire and they played conservative. Every move we make is conservative it seems and we just keep getting stuck in the middle.

If it were me... I'd go get Tom Brady for around 28 million per year and try to move up in the draft for Tua or even Herbert.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Brand new coaches. Now's probably a good time to change course with this roster, too.

Cooper looks like a bad signing waiting to happen. Some teams are going to overpay for Byron Jones and Anthony Brown. Zeke looks noticeably slower and aging fast. Jaylon's contract was a woeful mistake. Quinn is probably gone. LVE looks like he's not long for the football world. Byron and Zack have back issues, which seldom get better. Frederick is still recovering from something only Vulcan's can pronounce. Dak isn't worth more than $25 million per year, if that. Safety and defensive tackle are still gaping holes. Tight end remains a big question. We don't even have a reliable punter and kicker.

Now, enter Jerry's band of re-tread coaches. Now at 20 and counting. Are we going to hire a left guard coach next? Do any of them know magic?

Next year smells bad. Like 7-9 bad. Even worse, the roster looks to be regressing and aging rapidly. The window may have already closed on this bunch.

So what now? Scheme can't fix this as much as some want. It's highly unlikely that there's a bag of plays and coverages that will fix what we witnessed last year. This team needs players, different ones, and a lot of them.

Or, somehow this franchise needs to start stockpiling picks and devise a way to build the next contender. You have to be aggressive because these days, rebuilds are three-year projects, not five. Free agency won't allow anything longer.

Yet, the Cowboys keep trying to play the middle. Not aggressive in free agency, and not aggressive in rebuilding. Just treading water.

There is no easy answer here. The Cowboys are between the rock and the proverbial hard place. Do they suffer the PR hit of deconstruction, or do they press on and dump untold millions on the likes of Dak, Cooper, Jones, Quinn, and the very necessary other free agents to make this work? They should choose the former, though they'll likely choose the latter. Jerry's days are dwindling.

We just witnessed perhaps the ugliest season in Cowboys history. Subtract the Rams game, and what exactly happened? They lost the most winnable NFC East in history. They basically blew bunny layups all year long after a 3-0 start.

It ain't good.

Thank you...……….that all but certifies success in the future.

Looks like its time for you to find another team. LOL

The future, ironically, couldn't be brighter. With the horrid Garrett finally gone and a REAL HC hired and Dak about the enter the prime of his career after leading #1 offense in the NFL and the #1 passer in football.

I guess you would rather still have the old Garrett system in place here than a new one?

That the heck...…...you have gotten everything wrong up until now, why not keep going?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We just have to change QBs or bring In comp and we are good. We already got rid of the red fool.

#DontpayDak

The same dumb comment and same couple trolls liking it. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

THE RAT PACK!!!!

I cant wait to hear all the crying once Dak gets signed long term.

GMO415

Reaction score
Haven't even started OTAs and the Chicken Little threads have already started.....good grief!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jason Garrett might beat you twice next year. Then what?

Imagine....he just went 6-0 against the Giants, so what if he goes 2-0 next year against the Cowboys?

If he turns Jones and Barkley and that offense into a high-scoring offense, this place will go nuts.

And lets just imagine your genius idea to let Dak walk happens?

What then? Were going 16-0 with a rookie QB and Cooper rush right? LOL

The rebel without a cause. The fool with no plan.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It ain't good.
I’m glad I’m not you.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Jason Garrett might beat you twice next year. Then what?

Imagine....he just went 6-0 against the Giants, so what if he goes 2-0 next year against the Cowboys?

If he turns Jones and Barkley and that offense into a high-scoring offense, this place will go nuts.
I'm sure he would love to stick it to the Cowboys. I'd like to jamb his head thru a toilet seat and flush it.

Hadenough

Reaction score

It ain't good.
So what your saying is Daks excuse is already lined up just incase.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't see it that way.

Our oldest offensive lineman will be 30, and it's their best one in Martin.

Zeke will be 25, Dak 27(IIRC), Cooper 26 etc...
LVE(if healthy is 24, Smith 25, Lawrence 28 and so on.

Our core, you can debate the quality of it, is still quite young. I don't see a rapidly aging roster.

I can see a Wade Phillips style "rebound". New voices in this case, from Head to assistants could provide a positive spark. Especially now that's there's not 2+ voices on defense.

Agreed on the core, but notice a trend there? No great players younger than LVE. 2 of the last 3 drafts have been really bad. The Taco draft and last year. The TREND must get back on track this year if we are to maintain a window.

And we honestly cant afford to trade #1 picks anymore for top players. Need those low salary studs for 4 or 5 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You said Jerry will only hire puppets, yet here we are with someone who isn't a puppet, hired his own staff and is flat out a better football coach and you still don't see a difference. LOL You'll see it on gameday where Garrett was pure crap. I don't think anyone is saying Super Bowl contender, they're saying better than the mediocre garbage that's been plaguing this team for over a decade.
No, I said I didn’t have any hope Jerry wouldn’t hire a puppet based on recent history. Obviously he has before with Jimmy and Bill.

I’ll reserve my evaluation once results begin coming in and ultimately in January and beyond.