News: Next Step: How the Corners Get Better in 2019?

Hardline

Reaction score
Get ET and Landon Collins and also Von Miller and Antonio Brown and Grady Jarrett and also re-sign Tank, get Fletcher Cox for a philly cheesesteak and trade for Patrick Peterson and Doug Pederson.
This post gave me a stuffy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Everyone used the fact that Jones came out of UConn (small football program) as a reason to say he's no good.

We wanted Jones to be an over the top FS, and he just wasn't good at it. No feel for zone. No sense of attacking the ball or making hits as the ball comes down. Not good in run support either. Tended to get taken for a ride. Wasn't good as a corner for us either. Marinelli liked over the top zone coverage, and Byron doesn't have the knack.

But put him in man coverage underneath and trailing, and he's great. For Marinelli, that was a specialty role on TEs. For Richard, that's a starting cb.

Jones did seem to slide a little at the end of the season. It will be interesting to see if teams figured him out, or that was a momentary slump.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We wanted Jones to be an over the top FS, and he just wasn't good at it. No feel for zone. No sense of attacking the ball or making hits as the ball comes down. Not good in run support either. Tended to get taken for a ride. Wasn't good as a corner for us either. Marinelli liked over the top zone coverage, and Byron doesn't have the knack.

But put him in man coverage underneath and trailing, and he's great. For Marinelli, that was a specialty role on TEs. For Richard, that's a starting cb.

Jones did seem to slide a little at the end of the season. It will be interesting to see if teams figured him out, or that was a momentary slump.
He was never as bad as a lot of people made him out to be. People are too quick to use the "bust" label.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He was never as bad as a lot of people made him out to be. People are too quick to use the "bust" label.

Up til this year, Jones was more a disappointment than a bust. As a veteran and supposed leader of the secondary, he went from a 100% player to a 70% player for the back half of 2017. He wasn't injured. We just preferred playing Woods/Heath/Frazier more, and no one thinks they are great shakes.

exciter

Reaction score
I've always defended Jones as a player and last year before training camp I picked him as my top breakout player and most likely to be a 1st time Pro Bowler because of the move to CB.

I studied game footage of Richard Sherman and it seemed obvious that Jones is physically the prototype for the Kris Richard type of CB.

I also said last summer that Brown might be better than Lewis. For some reason most fans love Lewis but dislike Brown; however, Lewis didn't really do anything amazing in 2017 to justify that adoration. He did show flashes and showed a feisty demeanor but he gave up a lot of plays. Lewis again flashed in 2018 but he didn't play that many snaps and they used him in situations that were favorable to his playing style.
Think Brown has developed into one of the better slot corners in the league. Unfortunately with the contracts of everyone coming up he's probably priced himself onto another team. After next season everyone will get there chance of seeing what Lewis can do. Hope he's at least half of everyone's expectations!