Next Tournament Idea Thread (Balloting Has Ended)

Chose 4 Movie Genres OR Movie Pair Ups OR Franchise Series (read post #111 before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Code: A = Action/Adventure C = Comedy H = Horror W = Western. Do I get extra credit for being so clever with this code? Not many would have thought of that. I didn't rank these by movie but took them a genre at a time.

1. Alien H
2. Aliens H
3. John Carpenter's The Thing H
4. Nightmare on Elm Street H
5. Halloween, the original H
6. Predator H
7. Peter Jackson's King Kong H
8. The Relic H
9. The Wild Bunch W
10. Good, Bad and Ugly W
11. Once Upon a Time in the West W
12. Tombstone W
13. Silverado W
14. The Outlaw Josey Wales W
15. The Quick and the Dead W
16. High Plains Drifter W
17. LotR Return of the King A
18. LotR The Two Towers A
19. LotR Fellowship of the Ring A
20. Die Hard A
21. Die Harder A
22. Lethal Weapon A
23. Mad Max: Fury Road A
24. Rambo A
25. Animal House C
26. Blake Edwards' The Pink Panther C
27. SOB C
28. 1941 C
29. Caddyshack C
30. Airplane C
31. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates C
32. Sisters C
They'll be ranked in the order of your list. DallasEast isn't going to separate the genres for you, because he doesn't know which comedy you like more than which western, horror, or action/adventure.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They'll be ranked in the order of your list. DallasEast isn't going to separate the genres for you, because he doesn't know which comedy you like more than which western, horror, or action/adventure.
That makes two of us. That was the the purpose of dividing them into genres, have them face off for the best 8 in each genre and then face off the genres to select the best overall but by limiting the genres, i.e, not having Drama and Military/War, we are not really selecting #1.

However, I bow to him because he's the one doing all of the work on this. If I were doing it, I would ask "what's your favorite movie"? Reply "that sucks" and move on. Unless it was my favorite, which I don't have and am tired of people asking me and then doubting me when I say I don't know. I have a bud that threatened to smother me in my sleep if I didn't tell him. Someone should make a movie with that plot.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, why in the hell is he running this thing if he doesn't know?

cowboyec

Reaction score
Code: A = Action/Adventure C = Comedy H = Horror W = Western. Do I get extra credit for being so clever with this code? Not many would have thought of that. I didn't rank these by movie but took them a genre at a time.

1. Alien H
2. Aliens H
6. Predator H
8. The Relic H
9. The Wild Bunch W
10. Good, Bad and Ugly W
12. Tombstone W
13. Silverado W
20. Die Hard A
21. Die Harder A
22. Lethal Weapon A
24. Rambo A
25. Animal House C
27. SOB C
28. 1941 C
29. Caddyshack C
30. Airplane C
32. Sisters C
no shane???

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

1. Alien H
2. Aliens H
6. Predator H
8. The Relic H
9. The Wild Bunch W
10. Good, Bad and Ugly W
12. Tombstone W
13. Silverado W
20. Die Hard A
21. Die Harder A
22. Lethal Weapon A
24. Rambo A
25. Animal House C
27. SOB C
28. 1941 C
29. Caddyshack C
30. Airplane C
32. Sisters C
That makes two of us. That was the the purpose of dividing them into genres, have them face off for the best 8 in each genre and then face off the genres to select the best overall but by limiting the genres, i.e, not having Drama and Military/War, we are not really selecting #1.

However, I bow to him because he's the one doing all of the work on this. If I were doing it, I would ask "what's your favorite movie"? Reply "that sucks" and move on. Unless it was my favorite, which I don't have and am tired of people asking me and then doubting me when I say I don't know. I have a bud that threatened to smother me in my sleep if I didn't tell him. Someone should make a movie with that plot.
Well, why in the hell is he running this thing if he doesn't know?
Well, THAT was an interesting conversation while I was offline. :muttley:

Runwildboys is correct, CouchCoach. Nominations, numbered as is 1 through 32, will each have a descending point value from 32 to 1. Using your posted list as an example, Alien is worth 32 points and Sisters is worth 1 point.

Please let me know soon if you want to make an alteration to your current order if there was any misunderstanding. I have cleaned up the genres of all previously submitted ballots so that each perceived movie fall under the tournament's four categories as voted on by the last poll:
  • Action/Adventure (member says the film genre is Action OR Adventure OR 'Action AND Adventure')
  • Comedy
  • Horror/Science Fiction (member says the film genre is Horror OR Science Fiction OR 'Horror AND Science Fiction')
  • Western
Thus far, every submitted ballot except one is a clean 8/8/8/8 for 32 total nominations--which leads me to my next post... :)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no shane???
Nope, it was great at the time and the best bad guy portrayal ever but it is dated with some of the obvious set camera shots. I actually prefer Eastwood's nod to it, Pale Rider. Same with High Noon, it was great then but Westerns have improved since then, both would make my top 20.

I like the remakes of True Grit, 3:10 to Yuma and The Magnificent Seven as well as the originals.

I could vote for The Wild Bunch as my favorite of all time because of how well made it was made, best acted Western, by far, I've ever seen. If it hadn't been so over the top on the violence for the time, I think Holden, Borgnine and Peckinpah get nominated.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, THAT was an interesting conversation while I was offline. :muttley:

Runwildboys is correct, CouchCoach. Nominations, numbered as is 1 through 32, will each have a descending point value from 32 to 1. Using your posted list as an example, Alien is worth 32 points and Sisters is worth 1 point.

Please let me know soon if you want to make an alteration to your current order if there was any misunderstanding. I have cleaned up the genres of all previously submitted ballots so that each perceived movie fall under the tournament's four categories as voted on by the last poll:
  • Action/Adventure (member says the film genre is Action OR Adventure OR 'Action AND Adventure')
  • Comedy
  • Horror/Science Fiction (member says the film genre is Horror OR Science Fiction OR 'Horror AND Science Fiction')
  • Western
Thus far, every submitted ballot except one is a clean 8/8/8/8 for 32 total nominations--which leads me to my next post... :)
Runny was sticking up for ya, damned teacher's pet.

There wasn't any misunderstanding, I was just bending the rules that I had forgotten. I was trying to make it easy on myself because I am old, don't see so well anymore and I try not to think every day.

I will fix it and resubmit.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FYI @DFWJC

Your ballot listed the genre for both The Terminator and Terminator 2 as "Action? SciFi?" My tiebreaker, IMDB.com assigned genres, agrees with you that the movies are Action and Science Fiction, which are two separate categories for the tournament.

Without assigning those two movies to either the Action/Adventure or Horror/Science Fiction categories, your current category split is 8 each for the Comedy and Western categories and 7 each for the Action/Adventure and Horror/Science Fiction categories.

I have taken the liberty of splitting each unassigned movie and placed The Terminator in Action/Adventure and Terminator 2 in Horror/Science Fiction. These are pure guesses on my part, so please let me know if you want the movie categories reversed for the two films.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Runny was sticking up for ya, damned teacher's pet.

There wasn't any misunderstanding, I was just bending the rules that I had forgotten. I was trying to make it easy on myself because I am old, don't see so well anymore and I try not to think every day.

I will fix it and resubmit.
Thanks. I am deleting your original list since you are resubmitting your ballot. Just in case you need to reference it, I will post your original list in this post as a reference in case it is your only one:

1. Alien H
2. Aliens H
6. Predator H
8. The Relic H
9. The Wild Bunch W
10. Good, Bad and Ugly W
12. Tombstone W
13. Silverado W
20. Die Hard A
21. Die Harder A
22. Lethal Weapon A
24. Rambo A
25. Animal House C
27. SOB C
28. 1941 C
29. Caddyshack C
30. Airplane C
32. Sisters C

Edit: Of course, several members, including me, quoted your originally posted list, which you can still refer to as well. I can be so anal at times. :laugh:

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could vote for The Wild Bunch as my favorite of all time because of how well made it was made, best acted Western, by far, I've ever seen. If it hadn't been so over the top on the violence for the time, I think Holden, Borgnine and Peckinpah get nominated.
Bold> Agree 100%.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Nope, it was great at the time and the best bad guy portrayal ever but it is dated with some of the obvious set camera shots. I actually prefer Eastwood's nod to it, Pale Rider. Same with High Noon, it was great then but Westerns have improved since then, both would make my top 20.

I like the remakes of True Grit, 3:10 to Yuma and The Magnificent Seven as well as the originals.

the gunfight at the end is one of my all-time favorite scenes.
the slow ride to town....the music build up....and the confrontation between Shane and Wilson...awesome.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Revised list according to the rules.:angry:

1. LotR Return of the King A

2. LotR The Two Towers A

3. LotR Fellowship of the Ring A

4. The Wild Bunch W

5. Alien H

6. Aliens H

7. Good, Bad and Ugly W

8. Once Upon a Time in the West W

9. Animal House C

10. Tombstone W

11. Rambo A

12. SOB C

13. Predator H

14. Blake Edwards' The Pink Panther C

15. John Carpenter's The Thing H

16. Die Hard A

17. Die Harder A

18. The Relic H

19. Silverado W

20. Mad Max: Fury Road A

21. The Outlaw Josey Wales W

22. Peter Jackson's King Kong H

23. The Quick and the Dead W

24. Caddyshack C

25. 1941 C

26. High Plains Drifter W

27. Lethal Weapon A

28. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates C

29. Nightmare on Elm Street H

30. Airplane C

31. Halloween, the original H

32. Sisters C

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the gunfight at the end is one of my all-time favorite scenes.
the slow ride to town....the music build up....and the confrontation between Shane and Wilson...awesome.
Jack Palance set the tone for the future bad guys to really relish being bad. He had Satan's smile.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks. I am deleting your original list since you are resubmitting your ballot. Just in case you need to reference it, I will post your original list in this post as a reference in case it is your only one:

1. Alien H
2. Aliens H
6. Predator H
8. The Relic H
9. The Wild Bunch W
10. Good, Bad and Ugly W
12. Tombstone W
13. Silverado W
20. Die Hard A
21. Die Harder A
22. Lethal Weapon A
24. Rambo A
25. Animal House C
27. SOB C
28. 1941 C
29. Caddyshack C
30. Airplane C
32. Sisters C

Edit: Of course, several members, including me, quoted your originally posted list, which you can still refer to as well. I can be so anal at times. :laugh:
Thank you

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
11. Rambo A
MOVIE NERD RED ALERT! MOVIE NERD RED ALERT! <insert screeching Ghostbusters ambulance siren here>

First Blood (1982)
is the original movie. The sequel is Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985).

Is your #11 nomination the sequel (by name) or the original film in the franchise?

Edit: Whoops. Maybe it is Rambo (2008)..?

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
FYI @DFWJC

Your ballot listed the genre for both The Terminator and Terminator 2 as "Action? SciFi?" My tiebreaker, IMDB.com assigned genres, agrees with you that the movies are Action and Science Fiction, which are two separate categories for the tournament.

Without assigning those two movies to either the Action/Adventure or Horror/Science Fiction categories, your current category split is 8 each for the Comedy and Western categories and 7 each for the Action/Adventure and Horror/Science Fiction categories.

I have taken the liberty of splitting each unassigned movie and placed The Terminator in Action/Adventure and Terminator 2 in Horror/Science Fiction. These are pure guesses on my part, so please let me know if you want the movie categories reversed for the two films.
Its fine

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MOVIE NERD RED ALERT! MOVIE NERD RED ALERT! <insert screeching Ghostbusters ambulance siren here>

First Blood (1982)
is the original movie. The sequel is Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985).

Is your #11 nomination the sequel (by name) or the original film in the franchise?

Edit: Whoops. Maybe it is Rambo (2008)..?
First Blood was simply First Blood, Rambo was the 2nd installment.

Movie Nerd my ***.

Status
Not open for further replies.