CFZ NFC - contenders in the next 2 or 3 years?

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
I've been thinking about the state of the NFC and our ability to contend in the near term. A great 2022 would obviously be the ideal result but what about next year, 2024 even in to 2025?

It seems for a while we've had the same teams reaching the playoffs more often than not, the elite QBs getting their teams to the playoffs again and again but what about now?

You either have a QB you can win with or you need one......unless you have an incredible roster, it's that simple.

7 teams make the playoffs in the NFC each year so who do you see stopping us get in? I've typed this because I'm feeling as optimistic as I've been in a while for the state of the roster and gearing us for success. We've got a really strong, solid QB with a proven W-L record who can lead the team for a while yet. Please, please don't hijack this thread and make it a Dak thread!

So let me dive in.......

NFC South
Saints
- no more Brees, no solid QB. They are middle of the road and no 1st rounder next year.
Buccs - surely Brady's last season so they are needing to draft a replacement to contend
Falcons - no solid QB, not exactly loaded elsewhere on their roster
Panthers - no solid QB, even further behind the Falcons

NFC North
Packers - Mr Arrogant looks ready to stop playing literally or figuratively!
Vikings - they are solid enough, Cousins is solid enough
Bears - There's hope for them with Fields but plenty of other roster holes
Lions - can't believe I'm saying this........2 early slot 1sts next year and 2 2nds - get a QB + other positions - maybe!

NFC West
Cardinals
- not seeing it with the HC and QB relationship. Murray looks like a diva.
Rams - no 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks until 2056 I believe......good luck with that!
Seahawks - does Geno turn back in to a pumpkin soon? I'm not sold on them overall anyway
49rs - This one's real but.......they have a QB issue looming and have given a lot a draft picks away

NFC East
Giants - not with Jones at QB. can't believe they are 7-4 with other roster holes
Football team - not with Wentz or Heinicke at QB
Eagles - Ok, they have my respect and 2 1sts next year

Who in that list is going to be in our way - I'm not seeing it. Which 7 other teams are set up for success to stop us reaching the playoffs at least for 2, maybe 3 years?

For me, it looks like the 49rs, Eagles and us fighting for 1st place unless something dramatic changes the near term landscape.

Thoughts?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas will need to find a way to keep the team together though over the next few years.
A lot of players contracts coming up, as well a few high paid players will need to renegotiate.

All looks and sounds good, and they draft well, so will need to continue that.
It does look good overall.

Eagles issue is I believe they have several of their better players needing contracts as well as Hurts. They also have some aging players that may hurt their depth. Butt hey do have some high draft picks to replace them. And they are active in FA.

Will be interesting for sure to see how it unfolds.
One guarantee....there will still be a lot of slobbering on here over the Eagles, as they do everything right, we do nothing right....:laugh:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The future looks bright, but that's only if we can keep our own guys in Dallas. I know some like to say we do nothing in free agency, but the truth is you make your bread and water in the draft. Keep drafting and developing our guys... and we will get there.

Swagger

Reaction score
I've been thinking about the state of the NFC and our ability to contend in the near term. A great 2022 would obviously be the ideal result but what about next year, 2024 even in to 2025?

It seems for a while we've had the same teams reaching the playoffs more often than not, the elite QBs getting their teams to the playoffs again and again but what about now?

You either have a QB you can win with or you need one......unless you have an incredible roster, it's that simple.

7 teams make the playoffs in the NFC each year so who do you see stopping us get in? I've typed this because I'm feeling as optimistic as I've been in a while for the state of the roster and gearing us for success. We've got a really strong, solid QB with a proven W-L record who can lead the team for a while yet. Please, please don't hijack this thread and make it a Dak thread!

So let me dive in.......

NFC South
Saints
- no more Brees, no solid QB. They are middle of the road and no 1st rounder next year.
Buccs - surely Brady's last season so they are needing to draft a replacement to contend

NFC North
Lions - can't believe I'm saying this........2 early slot 1sts next year and 2 2nds - get a QB + other positions - maybe!

NFC West
Cardinals
Rams - no 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks until 2056 I believe......good luck with that!
Seahawks - does Geno turn back in to a pumpkin soon? I'm not sold on them overall anyway
49rs - This one's real but.......they have a QB issue looming and have given a lot a draft picks away

NFC East
Giants - not with Jones at QB. can't believe they are 7-4 with other roster holes

Who in that list is going to be in our way - I'm not seeing it. Which 7 other teams are set up for success to stop us reaching the playoffs at least for 2, maybe 3 years?

For me, it looks like the 49rs, Eagles and us fighting for 1st place unless something dramatic changes the near term landscape.

Thoughts?
Good post. I think the Packers will trade Rodgers at the end of this season. Should he join a team in the NFC shy of a QB then they suddenly become contenders.

Aside from that, I agree 49ers, Eagles and Cowboys look like they have depth to compete for the next 2-3 years depending on player contracts.

NFC has done from the least to the beast!

cnuball21

Reaction score

So let me dive in.......

NFC South
Saints

NFC North

NFC West
Cardinals

NFC East

Thoughts?

49ers and Eagles look like they’re built for the next few years.

IMO we should go all in while Dak is in his prime and before we lost Tyron / Zack.

Spend big in FA move up in the draft…whatever it takes. The next 3/4 years might be the best window we’ve had in a while.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No idea, and I'm not sure how you even try to project the NFL two or more years out to be honest. Too much changes year to year, especially in todays league with such significant QB movement. You may see a guy like Aaron Rogers end up in NY for all we know. Chicago, Atlanta, SF, Green Bay all have recently drafted QBs on the roster that are major wild cards. Many of these teams will see HC changes and may look completely different over the next two years.

I think the Cowboys have some staying power of the next couple years, but they have a lot of tough decisions to make. Are Diggs, Lamb, Pollard, etc the guys you want to pay record contracts to? Do they keep the roster mostly intact and continue just building through the draft? Does Jerry get hungry and go all in next year and mortgage the future? who knows.

If I were to pick a few teams to really look out for its

1) Philly - QB on the rise, multiple high draft picks upcoming. Bad news for them is they do have some aging players and some guys in line for some mega contracts over the next two years. I think their upcoming draft will tell a lot about their potential future. I could see them being dominant for the next 5 years or starting to slowly fade out.

2) Chicago - Depends on how good Fields really is. Still they have a high ceiling QB along with another top pick likely this season, and tons of cap space. That's a team that could turn things around very quick.

3) Green Bay - Really that whole division may be loaded in a couple years. This depends heavily on Jordan Love, but I wouldnt be surprised if Green Bay made a trade of Rogers over the offseason. Hurts the cap for 2023, but if they can get a couple high picks for him watch out after that. Watson is looking like a star (small sample size of course), but thats a team that has some resources IF they have the right QB in place. Of course the bad news is hes been sitting the bench so long that as soon as Rogers is gone they have to pay the kid who they really don't know much about.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I think we have several things going for us:

- A top 10 QB, just coming into his prime years.
A good young WR that is also just coming into his prime
- A stud, young LT that will be on his rookie deal for four more years.
- The absolute best defensive player in the league in only his second year.
- One of the best young CBs in the league.
- A young and fast defense.
- We are one of the best drafting teams in the league
- A capable, not elite, but capable head coach.

Our biggest obstacle is the same one we have had for the last three decades. The Jones boys

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

So let me dive in.......

NFC South
Saints

NFC North

NFC West
Cardinals

NFC East

Thoughts?
Nice post.
We will go as far as Dak takes us, period.
He can play great at times and poorly at times.
If he can get on a roll going into the playoffs we have as good a chance as any other team, as we have a good defense
and great running game.
It's on you # 4 , for better or worse.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dallas has the 4th youngest roster in the league and seems primed to contend for at least a couple of years here. The beauty of the draft first approach is that we really have not seen our record bottom out barring catastrophic QB injury (2015, 2020) over the last 12+ years.

We have several pro bowl players still on rookie contracts, a good QB locked in for the long term, good coaching, good draft evaluation, etc.

As long as the draft picks keep hitting, Dallas will be at bare minimum challenging for the playoffs every season.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
49ers and Eagles look like they’re built for the next few years.

IMO we should go all in while Dak is in his prime and before we lost Tyron / Zack.

Spend big in FA move up in the draft…whatever it takes. The next 3/4 years might be the best window we’ve had in a while.
Agreed, but we dont go all in anymore.
When was the last time we signed a bigtime free agent ?

mardwin

Reaction score
Dallas will need to find a way to keep the team together though over the next few years.
A lot of players contracts coming up, as well a few high paid players will need to renegotiate.

All looks and sounds good, and they draft well, so will need to continue that.
It does look good overall.

Eagles issue is I believe they have several of their better players needing contracts as well as Hurts. They also have some aging players that may hurt their depth. Butt hey do have some high draft picks to replace them. And they are active in FA.

Will be interesting for sure to see how it unfolds.
One guarantee....there will still be a lot of slobbering on here over the Eagles, as they do everything right, we do nothing right....:laugh:

They need to pay Pollard, Diggs, and Parsons. Everyone else is replaceable. They should go to the offseason thinking about drafting a QB regardless of this year's outcome. Last time a franchise with a championship-caliber roster committed to a long-term contract to an average QB it paid the price. I'm talking about the Ravens and Joe Flacco.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Dallas has the 4th youngest roster in the league and seems primed to contend for at least a couple of years here. The beauty of the draft first approach is that we really have not seen our record bottom out barring catastrophic QB injury (2015, 2020) over the last 12+ years.

We have several pro bowl players still on rookie contracts, a good QB locked in for the long term, good coaching, good draft evaluation, etc.

As long as the draft picks keep hitting, Dallas will be at bare minimum challenging for the playoffs every season.

That's my thinking too.

A core of good to elite young guys and a track record of drafting well so the conveyor belt keeps going.

We don't need to draft a QB in there and/or blow multiple 1sts like the Rams, 49rs have done and others may do too just to be relevant.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Good post. I think the Packers will trade Rodgers at the end of this season. Should he join a team in the NFC shy of a QB then they suddenly become contenders.

Aside from that, I agree 49ers, Eagles and Cowboys look like they have depth to compete for the next 2-3 years depending on player contracts.

NFC has done from the least to the beast!
I believe AR and Brady will retire after this year. They don't like losing. :)

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score

There is no way Rodgers retires in the same year as Brady, no way

He wants to be centre of attention at the HOF ceremony 5 years after stopping but wants centre stage all to himself. Brady will steal his limelight if he goes now.

He'll hang around another year just to be in a different HOF class from Brady.....he is that arrogant. Book it.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
There is no way Rodgers retires in the same year as Brady, no way

He wants to be centre of attention at the HOF ceremony 5 years after stopping but wants centre stage all to himself. Brady will steal his limelight if he goes now.

He'll hang around another year just to be in a different HOF class from Brady.....he is that arrogant. Book it.
We'll see. Maybe your right about AR. He may not want to go out with a losing record.

JayFord

Reaction score
Its really set up for Dallas, Philly, Minny and SF to be SB contenders in the NFC

i wanted to add Washington but its only but so many times you can start 1-4 1-5 and go on win streaks the luck stops after awhile

but if they land a Qb then theyre contenders also but theyve gotta start something like 4-1 or 5-2 they HAVE TO

Creeper

Reaction score
The Giants are doing a nice job using their high 1st round draft picks to fill hole. However, I think coaches like Dabol burn out their welcome after a couple of years. I can see him coaching 1 or 2 more years then then he loses his team completely.

Swagger

Reaction score
Brady yes but Rodgers still has some juice in the tank. He could do a Brady and join a stacked roster with a good defense...hopefully that isn't the 49ers!

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agreed, but we dont go all in anymore.
When was the last time we signed a bigtime free agent ?

Well we traded for and extended Cooper which was big.

It’s almost like the Jones want the “our guys” things to work so bad they’re not as aggressive in FA anymore just so they’re stubborn.

We really need to do better in FA so we can pick more freely in the draft.

I feel like the last few years were been drafting for need over talent bc we do zero in FA.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Well we traded for and extended Cooper which was big.

It’s almost like the Jones want the “our guys” things to work so bad they’re not as aggressive in FA anymore just so they’re stubborn.

We really need to do better in FA so we can pick more freely in the draft.

I feel like the last few years were been drafting for need over talent bc we do zero in FA.
Yep we excel in the draft but are afraid to sign any big time free agents.
It's disappointing.