NFL and NFLPA joint agreement on pain management, potentially including marijuana

RoboQB

Reaction score
What is not accurate about a rate increase? An increase is an increase. Adding more people to the population would obviously increase the amount of pot smokers (hence why they are moving to states like Colorado) make driving worse and more dangerous.

They don't show what the population of Colorado is from year to year on the graph.
They claim a 145% increase. By that logic, the graph implies no population increase.
Only increase in fatal accidents.

The graph is also weighed to make pot look more dangerous but does show that numbers
across the board are cut in half when use of pot only is the reported cause.

You actually think everyone that moves there is looking for pot?
Actually, you might be accurate on this one... lol. I'll give ya that one. It's probably over 75%.

Driving is more dangerous because there are more people, period. Not more pot smokers.
Pot smokers cause fender benders and hit curbs, for the most part. They don't drive 100 mph
and plow into buildings, other cars, people, etc.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
In Colorado...

"The 2013-16 period saw a 40 percent increase in the number of all drivers involved in fatal crashes in Colorado, from 627 to 880, according to the NHTSA data. Those who tested positive for alcohol in fatal crashes from 2013 to 2015 — figures for 2016 were not available — grew 17 percent, from 129 to 151.

By contrast, the number of drivers who tested positive for marijuana use jumped 145 percent — from 47 in 2013 to 115 in 2016."

Looks like mortality rates (vehicle accidents) caused by drivers under the influence of marijuana are starting to seriously catch up to alcohol based accidents.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...25/colorado-marijuana-traffic-fatalities/amp/

Why would you limit any measure of mortality to automobile accidents in a single state?

Even using the numbers you provided, alcohol still killed more people even though they couldn't count alcohol deaths for 2016. Ignoring the dramatic differences in detection windows between each substance, this is just a piss poor approach. You ask for proof and then provide self-defeating evidence? Bold strategy, Cotton.

Not only are you wrong, you're incapable of being right even when you cherry pick numbers.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Why would you limit any measure of mortality to automobile accidents in a single state?

Even using the numbers you provided, alcohol still killed more people even though they couldn't count alcohol deaths for 2016. Ignoring the dramatic differences in detection windows between each substance, this is just a piss poor approach. You ask for proof and then provide self-defeating evidence? Bold strategy, Cotton.

Not only are you wrong, you're incapable of being right even when you cherry pick numbers.
What about 147% increase in marijuana-induced fatality rates in a 4 year period do you not understand? And that's only concerning 1 state! Do you need for me to do your homework for you and list the increase in % in the other states that have legalized marijuana?

Sinister

Reaction score
I'm with you on its ability to help, but how do you regulate it among the players and keep it away from those who don't need it? It will very likely get out of control. Before you know it, an overwhelming majority of players will be showing up high to football games.

I don't have the answers to those questions what i do know is that each of are responsible for our own health and I could not in good conscience deny a medicine that could help against the devestating effects of head injuries or CTE, especially as it concerns football players.

I wish there were more studies, a better idea of what the long term effects were, but I just have to believe that as adults they will do the right thing.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
I'm with you on its ability to help, but how do you regulate it among the players and keep it away from those who don't need it? It will very likely get out of control. Before you know, an overwhelming majority of players will be showing up high to football games.

I think that's the problem, there is a difference between medical use and recreational use. A player could "hide" a condition or injury if they have a Doctors slip, thus preventing other healthy players to compete for the same position. Where is the line drawn?

There has only been one player (publicly speaking) to request an exemption from the NFL banned substance list for the use of MJ. I don't know if there has been more due to disclosure ship issues.

Birdgang

Reaction score
I don't have the answers to those questions what i do know is that each of are responsible for our own health and I could not in good conscience deny a medicine that could help against the devestating effects of head injuries or CTE, especially as it concerns football players.

I wish there were more studies, a better idea of what the long term effects were, but I just have to believe that as adults they will do the right thing.

Note I dont smoke or use

MJ/ Hemp has endless uses and benefits that have never been taught to most people do to its being labeled as a bad drug when in facts has to be the biggest gift on the earth. Researchers have found use even back 200 BCE China used for Caulk on boats. It can be made into building materials like bricks and mortar, France has a 1200-year-old hemp bridge. It can be made into plastics for plumbing and even bottles. It can be used as a fuel for lamps/ burning and even for cars as Henry Ford made a Model T Frame out of hemp and made it run off it as well. It can be used for cooking and can be food for both humans and animals. It has medicinal purposes for 20 plus things . It can be made into cloths , paper and rope. The list goes on you can research rest on your own. You can see why people dont want the truth out ... as anyone can grow the plant.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Note I dont smoke or use

MJ/ Hemp has endless uses and benefits that have never been taught to most people do to its being labeled as a bad drug when in facts has to be the biggest gift on the earth. Researchers have found use even back 200 BCE China used for Caulk on boats. It can be made into building materials like bricks and mortar, France has a 1200-year-old hemp bridge. It can be made into plastics for plumbing and even bottles. It can be used as a fuel for lamps/ burning and even for cars as Henry Ford made a Model T Frame out of hemp and made it run off it as well. It can be used for cooking and can be food for both humans and animals. It has medicinal purposes for 20 plus things . It can be made into cloths , paper and rope. The list goes on you can research rest on your own. You can see why people dont want the truth out ... as anyone can grow the plant.

I don't smoke Janga or use either means as well, even though my State has now allowed it.

What you quoted are industrial applications. Cocaine is also plant based, just modified like heroin. Just like MJ has been engineered to increase THC levels. My question question lies if players are using MJ to conceal injuries or problems, that might effect others who might be deserving of a position.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I don't smoke Janga or use either means as well, even though my State has now allowed it.

What you quoted are industrial applications. Cocaine is also plant based, just modified like heroin. Just like MJ has been engineered to increase THC levels. My question question lies if players are using MJ to conceal injuries or problems, that might effect others who might be deserving of a position.
No the pain killing aspect of weed is not that strong, it would not conceal injuries, it might help with soreness, outside of a game but not in a game where
you get hit.
Players have access to opiate based painkillers which they can use for playing while injured or sore etc, and the NFL is ok with all that.
A player gets hurt they take him to locker room, and then he reappears and plays like he isnt hurt or sore, that is using pain killers.
A good example is when Romo got a knee to the back in the wash game, goes to locker room and appears later ready to play lol....pain killers!

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Yes, I feel like I'm talking to my self here. Are you reading the posts?

Prescription Drugs, prescribed by a doctor come with warning labels that protect business and Doctors to a great extent. You don't get that with a dime bag.

christ almighty.
if weed were legalized you'd have the same. exact. thing. this grail of yours that includes *labels*.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
old people continue to ruin this country with their outdated, fact-proof feelings.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Of course we don't have to be professionals to have opinions. But if you're going to use a term like legal precedent, you should at least have a precedent.

Are you suggesting that a precedent has not been set?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
christ almighty.
if weed were legalized you'd have the same. exact. thing. this grail of yours that includes *labels*.

The difference is that it's very, very difficult to sue the Federal Government. Not impossible, certainly, but extremely difficult to win. That's what you are suggesting when you discuss legalization of weed. I do, however, believe that this will also happen but that's a different subject and not really related to football. In terms of the NFL, as I said earlier, I don't see the advantage of approving the use of weed. You can use terms like "grail" etc. but doesn't change the fact that an approved script by a certified Dr. is always going to be the preferred option, as opposed to using an unregulated substance with no medical supervision and no method of regulation. Sorry but there is no real way around that single issue.

Birdgang

Reaction score
The difference is that it's very, very difficult to sue the Federal Government. Not impossible, certainly, but extremely difficult to win. That's what you are suggesting when you discuss legalization of weed. I do, however, believe that this will also happen but that's a different subject and not really related to football. In terms of the NFL, as I said earlier, I don't see the advantage of approving the use of weed. You can use terms like "grail" etc. but doesn't change the fact that an approved script by a certified Dr. is always going to be the preferred option, as opposed to using an unregulated substance with no medical supervision and no method of regulation. Sorry but there is no real way around that single issue.

You keep contradicting yourself ..... Legalizing use of MJ for medical purposes does all the things your complaining about. A Doctor has to prescribe MJ just like Narcotic pain killers. They actually give you a state ID to be able to get said MJ. MJ has different strains and different methods of use depending on the patient's needs. In layman's terms, different strengths, uses and effects " just like shopping for OTC meds Headache, cough ect ect " So since people are in the states database , it is monitored. Now of course there will be abuse ... but we have that now with anything. Also just because something is legal or illegal won't stop people from getting or using. The NFL can even implement its on policies and guidelines on it. Its all very simple things if you dont let your biases get in way

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You keep contradicting yourself ..... Legalizing use of MJ for medical purposes does all the things your complaining about. A Doctor has to prescribe MJ just like Narcotic pain killers. They actually give you a state ID to be able to get said MJ. MJ has different strains and different methods of use depending on the patient's needs. In layman's terms, different strengths, uses and effects " just like shopping for OTC meds Headache, cough ect ect " So since people are in the states database , it is monitored. Now of course there will be abuse ... but we have that now with anything. Also just because something is legal or illegal won't stop people from getting or using. The NFL can even implement its on policies and guidelines on it. Its all very simple things if you dont let your biases get in way

Again, and I really should not have to continue to repeat this, this is a Football discussion. If you wanna get this thread closed, the by all means, keep bringing up weed as a national issue. The legalization of weed is of no importance to me. In terms of the NFL, explain to me what value, that move brings to the NFL. You can get all of the same medical benefits by simply having your team Doctors prescribe Cannabinoids and/or THC. Why introduce weed into the equation? You say that Medical Marijuana does all this but how do you police that? Players are not going to use Medical because they want to get high. If they were all in on Medical Weed, then they would already be using Cannabinoids and THC and not actual weed because the medical value is provided by each of those substances, which is already available and can be had by any Dr's prescription. So again, how does the NFL police that if you pass this measure? Now, you can say that you have the same problem with scripts and to an extent I agree with that but, the NFL has cover in that you can make the discussion about Medical issues if you don't allow weed and just support scripts. You can't do that if you allow weed, Medical or otherwise because you will be expected to reasonably police that policy and how do you do that if you are the NFL? It's a perception issue, as well as a legal one IMO. I don't see the value but if you can explain it, I'm willing to listen.

Last edited: