NFL names Dak Prescott as Dallas Cowboys “unsung hero” of 2019 season

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
true and truly the word Hero should not be used in Sports unless its something g happening off the field and truly heroic ,,why do sports writers/casters continue to call them that is beyond me , how about Teams Unsung MVP or Underrated or unheralded..

dudes playing pro sports for millions of dollars are not heroic nor role models..

Pat Tillman comes to mind , he left millions to join the military's and died..thats heroic

It’s a term used in sports because there are sports heroes. They’re certainly not heroes in the true sense of the word. Hero is one of those words that’s way overused.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well even if you give more leeway to what is heroics, and say an heroic effort, well then there you would be talking about some clutch moments against winning teams or important teams this season. I'm not one to give praise to anyone right after a losing season, and there really weren't any heroic efforts this season. There is a difference to admit that Dak has greatly improved this season, and be happy about that, and to say that he was clutch this season. I mean Romo had some great moment in some of his bad seasons, but do I get all chipper about it and call him the unsung hero for any of those seasons? How many games against a winning team had a heroic moment this season?
I agree. It'd be one thing if he played incredibly well, but the rest of the team failed him, but that's not the case.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well unlike some here, I wont judge Dak or any other cowboy based on what they did in 2019,
or the 2 years before that.
I am going to wait and judge them with a real HC and his new staff in 2020.
If they dont do good in 2020 then I will bash them.
But I think we will all be surprised at what the team looks like in 2020.

Only thing is now it is the long wait !!!!!!!!!! with only the draft to interest me. and FA too.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Well unlike some here, I wont judge Dak or any other cowboy based on what they did in 2019,

Only thing is now it is the long wait !!!!!!!!!! with only the draft to interest me. and FA too.

Well :) The only thing is we are assuming that the Big Mac will be a non-puppet entity. I mean we're hoping so, and giving him a chance, but then there is the possibility that he'll be another puppet under Jerry.

nobody

Reaction score
Some people so get upset about someone saying anything positive about Dak.

Im still waiting for a poster to post a rumor that Dak is gay because they had sex with a guy that looked just like him

And some people get so upset if anyone has -any- criticism of Dak whatsoever, legitimate or otherwise. It's just the way it is. He's not "great" nor is he a "bust." He is what he is and that's good enough if he's not expected to carry the team.
Very few QB's can carry a team.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Great Post

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
New Orleans has Michael Thomas...and that's about it
Atlanta has Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley
Tampa Bay has Mike Evans, Godwin, Perriman
Kansas City has Hill, Watkins, and Kelce
LAC has Keenan Allen and Mike Williams
Los Angels Rams has Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods
LOOOOOOOOL Cleveland, did you actually watch their games?
Houston has Hopkins and an injury prone Fuller
Minnesota has Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph

So, out of those you have the Bucs, Chiefs, and Minnesota that are better. We are on par with Rams. Let's go ahead and use your dopey words as being better- here are the Rams pass catchers numbers that are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better?

Cooper Kupp - 94 catches, 1161 yards, 10 TDs
Robert Woods - 90 catches, 1,134 yards, 2 TDs
Brandin Cooks - 42 catches, 583 yards, 2 TDs

Dallas Cowboys

Amari Cooper - 79 catches, 1,189 yards, 8 TDs
Michael Gallup - 66 catches, 1.107 yards, 6 TDs
Randall Cobb - 55 catches, 828 yards, 2 TDs

Nice try. Try again.

I love how you throw up Cooper, Gallup, and Cobb impressive stats while trying to maintain that Dak is terrible. Oh, and just because you named two pass catchers doesn't mean that they aren't still better than our 3.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
And some people get so upset if anyone has -any- criticism of Dak whatsoever, legitimate or otherwise. It's just the way it is. He's not "great" nor is he a "bust." He is what he is and that's good enough if he's not expected to carry the team.
Very few QB's can carry a team.
Yep, he is one of “thiose” players like Romo, Dez, and Zeke where only the two extremes are discussed. Everything is their fault or nothing is.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another silly post mortem article on the season. I guess if you only looked at the stats as this writer did, you could come to that conclusion. This team had no "heroes".

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well :) The only thing is we are assuming that the Big Mac will be a non-puppet entity. I mean we're hoping so, and giving him a chance, but then there is the possibility that he'll be another puppet under Jerry.
Only time will tell, but Mac hiring his own staff, means he is not the puppet JG was, and I think in other ways he will not be a puppet.
Jones boys will still be involved in the draft and FA, and signing guys currently on the team, but hopefully they will consult Mac beforehand.

Many owners get involved in those areas and also the gm's so no HC aside from BB has total control.

Last year synder drafted Haskins for qb, and their new HC is stuck with him. So Mac has more leeway with the Dak situation.
I would hope jones boys consult Mac before signing Dak, Amari, Quinn, or any other player currently here.
It would be stupid to force any player on a New HC. Better to let them decide on who to keep and who to let go.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There's more than one definition of "hero". One definition is "Idol", which certainly fits, in the case of sports stars, regardless of whether it should.
yea right Daks a freakin hero...no its in poor taste to use it..

on aside note Dak did not lead us back from a halftime deficit one time, couldn't beat one team with winning record, nope Rams was all defense and run game as it should have been all year, and down the stretch he played very below avg football.. if hes the leader the hero but also how is he tge the actual reason for sitting at home watching the layoffs because he couldn't muster one win against the Pats, Buffs, CHI, or the 2nd philly game, just one is all we needed..ONE MORE from our Hero..no he folded like a cheap tent.. he bullied bad teams built up stats, big hero..lmao

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Do people realize that without Dak this was probably a 4 win team at best. Look how poor our defense, and special teams were. If it weren't for Dak we would have been str8 trash. The fact we were even in playoff contention was a miracle. Poor defensive efficiency, no takeaways, worst field position in football (1 drive starting in opp side of field), terrible kicking game. Punter was worst in the league and we had to cut our fg kicker toward the end of the year. Our coaching was atrocious, our $100 million DE had 5 sacks. Our LBs were bad. Secondary sucked like usual. Dak couldn't even rely on the run game this year.

I think people here need to actually watch other games and not just redzone highlights. Btw coaching was terrible every pundit in the league said it from the rip about the cowboys staff hence they are almost all looking for jobs now. If they were so good and Dak was so bad they wouldn't have all been fired.

erod

Reaction score
They are both losers. They haven’t won anything to be considered winners.
The litmus test is, "Is the QB improving the offense, hurting it, or not making a difference one way or the other?"

This division was a layup. The easiest division in football by a mile. The Cowboys should have won it in their sleep.

Did Dak play well in critical moments? Were there any games you could say he carried the team? Did Dallas win any games that they couldn't have won with pretty much any typical NFL quarterback?

The answer to those questions is a resounding "no."

So why dump $200 million on a run-of-the-mill QB?

erod

Reaction score
Do people realize that without Dak this was probably a 4 win team at best. Look how poor our defense, and special teams were. If it weren't for Dak we would have been str8 trash. The fact we were even in playoff contention was a miracle. Poor defensive efficiency, no takeaways, worst field position in football (1 drive starting in opp side of field), terrible kicking game. Punter was worst in the league and we had to cut our fg kicker toward the end of the year. Our coaching was atrocious, our $100 million DE had 5 sacks. Our LBs were bad. Secondary sucked like usual. Dak couldn't even rely on the run game this year.

I think people here need to actually watch other games and not just redzone highlights. Btw coaching was terrible every pundit in the league said it from the rip about the cowboys staff hence they are almost all looking for jobs now. If they were so good and Dak was so bad they wouldn't have all been fired.
Wrong.

Replace Dak with any of 30 other quarterbacks in the NFL, and the Cowboys would have finished 8-8 or BETTER.

He didn't do anything special whatsoever this season. I can only think of 4 or 5 plays all year that were truly impressive. Everything else was run-of-the-mill stuff and garbage time stat paddings.

johneric8

Reaction score
how are you a hero for one in football but loosely used he still doesnt fit..8-8 is not hero like ..

we were team losers no heros all losers..not one player stepped up from week 11-16 a bunch just didnt play well..

oh BTW Dak cant hit the open market but if we want to play that game Non exclusive Tag, lets see how many teams give 2 1st rounders and 34 mil to him..i want to see it..

How do you explain Drew Brees in all the horrible years he has had and all the big games he couldn't win on his own through his Saints tenure?

InTheZone

Reaction score
Unsung hero? :laugh:

Dude flopped against winning teams :huh::lmao2:
giphy.gif

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Its already well known that MM has more power then Garrett ever did since he was allowed to hire or not fire his entire staff.

The rest we will have to see.