NFL Network reports that the Cowboys will work on signing their own FAs

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Tell me what previous OC experience Moore has at any level of football?
I already concede he's never been an OC before. But that doesn't preclude anyone from doing anything for the first time.

Not only that how many games has he actually started at QB in the NFL?
How many games did Wade Phillips start as a player in the NFL? Did that prevent him from being a very good DC in the NFL. Your logic seems to be flawed about Kellen Moore's qualifications to be OC.

He may in time turn out to be a great OC, hell even a great HC in the fullness of time, but next year with NO experience?
Everyone has to start somewhere. Who knows, he might be a natural and do a great job his first year.

Ability can only compensate to a certain degree for a lack of experience, especially at the very highest level.
It's always been said of Kellen Moore if his physical ability could match his mental capacity of the game of football, he would be an all-time great. Luckily, his mental capacity for the game will suit him well as the OC.

Don't be disappointed if the results are less than stellar next year.
Same to you if the results are > stellar next season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He was QB coach for like 11 months before he was named OC. That's a pretty rare and meteoric rise for a guy playing QB two years ago.

It was a very strange and risky hire, especially with a young QB. You just have to hope the Cowboys made the right choice. I have my doubts based on their overall recent history.
Kellen Moore is football smart, genius even though he'll need to prove it to earn that moniker. I think he'll do fine. Just wait and see.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I already concede he's never been an OC before. But that doesn't preclude anyone from doing anything for the first time.

How many games did Wade Phillips start as a player in the NFL? Did that prevent him from being a very good DC in the NFL. Your logic seems to be flawed about Kellen Moore's qualifications to be OC.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Who knows, he might be a natural and do a great job his first year.

It's always been said of Kellen Moore if his physical ability could match his mental capacity of the game of football, he would be an all-time great. Luckily, his mental capacity for the game will suit him well as the OC.

Same to you if the results are > stellar next season.

You seem to confuse doing something for the first time and being successful at it!

How long was Wade Phillips a coach in the NFL before he became the DC for a team?

Yes there is the possibility he might hit the ground running, but the probability says he won't and there'll be a learning curve which will cost us games. Just like any rookie.

And you know about his mental capacity how exactly?

And if he's successful I shall be delighted, but I don't expect it.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Kellen Moore is football smart, genius even though he'll need to prove it to earn that moniker. I think he'll do fine. Just wait and see.

You're anointing Moore as a football genius and in the same breath saying he still has to prove it!!! LOL

Are you his Dad?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You're anointing Moore as a football genius and in the same breath saying he still has to prove it!!! LOL

Are you his Dad?
He has a high football acuity, it may even be at the genius level but he'll have to prove it. You knew what I meant, you are just trying to deflect from the argument you are losing.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
He has a high football acuity, it may even be at the genius level but he'll have to prove it. You knew what I meant, you are just trying to deflect from the argument you are losing.

Would you like some more Edam?

No wait! you seem to already be full with all that cheese you've already swallowed.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Are you his Dad?

Being a genius means you have a high capacity to learn. Doesn't mean you have the knowledge or experience, that's different.

But I'm assuming you didn't like Linehan, are you saying you'd rather have him back? We don't have the ability to put in who we would like to have, can we at least give Moore a chance?

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
I was just watching NFL Network, they are reporting that the Cowboys have 5 guys they plan on re-signing.

1 .Dak Prescott
2. Zeke Elliott
3 Amari Cooper
4. D_Law
5. Byron Jones

They do not plan on being active in FA and if Earl Thomas does not come down from the $14 per year he wants, he wont ever be a Cowboy.

Meh...I'll still sleep like a baby tonight after reading this. Get ready for about 7-9 wins next year: again.

Sydla

Reaction score

I am waiting and seeing but anyone who has paid attention to the Cowboys the last two decades should have some level of skepticism here.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Being a genius means you have a high capacity to learn. Doesn't mean you have the knowledge or experience, that's different.

But I'm assuming you didn't like Linehan, are you saying you'd rather have him back? We don't have the ability to put in who we would like to have, can we at least give Moore a chance?

Where did I say I'm not giving him a chance????
I'm being realistic!
An OC with no previous experience of being an OC at ANY LEVEL with only one year's experience of coaching is unlikely to achieve the success we would need to even approach a SB in his rookie year at the highest level possible!
What part of that do you disagree with?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Where did I say I'm not giving him a chance????
I'm being realistic!
An OC with no previous experience of being an OC at ANY LEVEL with only one year's experience of coaching is unlikely to achieve the success we would need to even approach a SB in his rookie year at the highest level possible!
What part of that do you disagree with?

"Wash, Rinse Repeat.
New year same as the old year!"

That doesn't sound to me like you're giving him a chance. If I mis-interpreted that statement, then I stand corrected...

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So, Dallas signs all of their current players; they still need to improve at safety, DL, and stretching the field. No one currently on the team is capable of filling these needs. A better backup QB, RB, and DE, is also necessary.

Maybe all this team really needs are better scouts, a better GM, and better coaching. Talent will only get you so far. The Cowboys do not need one player coming in with hopes of bringing a championship, but strapping the salary cap when it all fails.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
"Wash, Rinse Repeat.
New year same as the old year!"

That doesn't sound to me like you're giving him a chance. If I mis-interpreted that statement, then I stand corrected...

Then you stand corrected.

I was referring to the overall Cowboys offseason.
And yes Moore's appointment to OC is a part of that considering they're pushing him in at the deepest end possible and many fans are swallowing the hyperbole around his supposed genius and how that will translate in his first year.
Bill Belichick is a proven genius (whether you like him or not) and how did he do with his first HC job in Cleveland (and he had a lot more coaching experience behind him when he got the job)?
So it's not about giving him a chance, it's about realistic expectations especially with the current GM and HC.