NFL Officiating Scandal

ESisback

Reaction score
"We wuz robbed, I tells ya. Just look at that crooked painted sideline and tell me they didn't do that knowing the Cowboys throw sideline passes so they'd all be called out of bounds. Goodell is after us and Bigfoot roams free in the Pacific Northwest but you have to go find him to prove it."
Scoffing AND science!

Ghost12

Reaction score
If there is a REAL problem, the problem lies with just one person. Everyone here seems to forget that all replays are decided by one person in New York, not the refs on the field. When it's a scoring play those plays are automatically reviewed by that person. The rule was changed to how it was applied during the SB and since it would have been applied to both teams there's no real problem accept with those that look for conspiracy in everything.
Except that was one of the changes made for the Super Bowl. The real story that no one is talking about is the fact that Troy Vincent - a guy who conveniently played for Philadelphia for 8 years - was in the booth with Riveron "helping" make instant replay determinations.

That explains why the abomination which was the Clement TD was allowed to stand.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
As I said before, it's a train that doesn't actually go anywhere, it only keeps moving. You'll never get anywhere in a "stats in a vacuum" argument. Nevermind that the stats are given against an average not showing whom else might an outlier and thus a "target" of the NFL. Nevermind that there's no context as to whether this happens every year to multiple teams or not (which is the question about the holding stats none of them will or can answer). Nevermind that none of them witnessed each of those penalties to see if the Cowboys actually were guilty of them or have assessed that we're just an undisciplined team. All they see is Cowboys 5 penalties, opponents 4 - CONSPIRACY! It's easy to lead on those without critical thinking skills around here. Just yell "we wuz robbed," show a picture of an official smiling with an opponent, and you too can be a pied piper.
:huh:,,,'copy'o_O

Brother Man! I watch the games( not just Dallas) the JETS& BENGALS got HOSED on preposterous flags last seasono_O

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Except that was one of the changes made for the Super Bowl. The real story that no one is talking about is the fact that Troy Vincent - a guy who conveniently played for Philadelphia for 8 years - was in the booth with Riveron "helping" make instant replay determinations.

That explains why the abomination which was the Clement TD was allowed to stand.
Exactly, everything was done differently than the rules and procedures in place.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Super Bowl LII used the same procedure of having all replays reviewed and decided in New York. As much as I hate the eagles, you're TRYING to start a false rumor. Whereas Troy Vincent is employed by the NFL as Vice President of Football Operations and very well may have been in the booth in New York along with probably 10 other people who are technicians. The replay call officials in the booth since all replays are decided in New York have been either Senior Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino or Senior Director of Officiating Alberto Riveron. There is zero proof or corroboration that Vincent even spoke to Riveron during any replay let alone "helped" to make any decisions. What has been leaked out is that Riveron used the new revised catch rule before it was voted on. Again I hate the eagles but this is just fake news.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Super Bowl LII used the same procedure of having all replays reviewed and decided in New York. As much as I hate the eagles, you're TRYING to start a false rumor. Whereas Troy Vincent is employed by the NFL as Vice President of Football Operations and very well may have been in the booth in New York along with probably 10 other people who are technicians. The replay call officials in the booth since all replays are decided in New York have been either Senior Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino or Senior Director of Officiating Alberto Riveron. There is zero proof or corroboration that Vincent even spoke to Riveron during any replay let alone "helped" to make any decisions. What has been leaked out is that Riveron used the new revised catch rule before it was voted on. Again I hate the eagles but this is just fake news.
Not true according to the segment i reference in original post. Schefter, Mortenson & Palontonio were very clear on a number of points.
  • Three people were directing the on field officials. Vincent, Riveron & a players association rep. (don't remember his name). Not the standard procedure.
  • The "new" catch rule was used. Even though their report occurred the day the rule was approved.
  • The "questionable" catches would not have been catches under the rule that was in effect (& should have been used). I believe they specifically said that Vincent stated the Clements catch would not have been ruled a catch under old rule.
  • All of this came from direct conversations with Vincent and Riveron.
  • Schefter made sure some of this was repeated ..... he knew exactly what the implications were.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Not true according to the segment i reference in original post. Schefter, Mortenson & Palontonio were very clear on a number of points.
  • Three people were directing the on field officials. Vincent, Riveron & a players association rep. (don't remember his name). Not the standard procedure.
  • The "new" catch rule was used. Even though their report occurred the day the rule was approved.
  • The "questionable" catches would not have been catches under the rule that was in effect (& should have been used). I believe they specifically said that Vincent stated the Clements catch would not have been ruled a catch under old rule.
  • All of this came from direct conversations with Vincent and Riveron.
  • Schefter made sure some of this was repeated ..... he knew exactly what the implications were.

And those NFL "insiders" have never gotten anything wrong - EVER, I think not. I don't recall any of those "insiders" ever stating they were in the New York booth during the game so until someone from the NFL actually states that someone other than Riveron made the calls, I'll go with one of those "insiders" started something and was speculating and then what happens so often others jumped on the same speculation.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
And those NFL "insiders" have never gotten anything wrong - EVER, I think not. I don't recall any of those "insiders" ever stating they were in the New York booth during the game so until someone from the NFL actually states that someone other than Riveron made the calls, I'll go with one of those "insiders" started something and was speculating and then what happens so often others jumped on the same speculation.
.[/QUOTE
So them stating that they got the information directly from Vincent and Riveron on national television is speculation? Believe whatever you wish, but the truth remains.

Ghost12

Reaction score
So you're going to go with the "stick your head in the sand and call everything fake news" approach. Got'cha.

In the meantime, what @McKDaddy said was reported by multiple outlets and hasn't been denied or called false by anyone. If there was actually a contradictory view, you might have a point. But given how eager the NFL is to correct mistakes that make them look bad, and in the absence of any such correction here, there is really no logic in calling this "fake news."

McKDaddy

Reaction score
So you're going to go with the "stick your head in the sand and call everything fake news" approach. Got'cha.

In the meantime, what @McKDaddy said was reported by multiple outlets and hasn't been denied or called false by anyone. If there was actually a contradictory view, you might have a point. But given how eager the NFL is to correct mistakes that make them look bad, and in the absence of any such correction here, there is really no logic in calling this "fake news."
Thank you sir. Appreciate when folks recognize facts about a post & refute those who are just dismissing everything offhand.

Fwed

Reaction score
heard that too. Sheftter even said that the Clement and Ertz TD's would not have counted under the "old rule".
Good grief. Yes it would have. He was more than clearly a runner when he broke the plane...we can talk about Clemens td if you want but ertz’s td was legit...and was nothing like the Steelers non td.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
The Clement TD was very close but was the right call .... He had control of the ball . While he had control of the ball he moved the ball to his other side. You know a move that all RBs do while running. He had 2 steps in, the 2nd was out while dragging it . People forget that the Refs on the field dont have 100 camera angles and slow motion. To overturn there had to be clear evidence otherwise they stay with the call on the field. Do you honestly think without slow motion ANYONE could of seen a small bobble as people are claiming? The Ertz TD was a easy TD ... it was ridiculous that it even had to be reviewed as long as it did . People also tried to compare boths TDs to the James and Benjamins. They were not even close to same thing .... Well Benjamins was sort of but still has nothing to do with Clements.

THe only crime and foul on those plays was Collinsworth commentating and clear bias towards the Eagles all game. Almost anyone even Joe Shmoe off the street could of done a better job .

MarcusRock

Reaction score

In the meantime, what @McKDaddy said was reported by multiple outlets and hasn't been denied or called false by anyone.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/28/17172888/super-bowl-52-catch-rule-corey-clement-zach-ertz-al-riveron
"... speculation that officials were “legislating on the fly” and using the new catch rule doesn’t seem to hold much water, because both rules would’ve had the same result."

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films...fficials-explain-why-Clement-s-catch-was-a-TD
"It sticks here and it goes there but it never loses control. Is there a little bit of ball movement? Yes, but that does not mean there's loss of control." - Gene Steratore to another official on the field during the game. 4:55 onward.​

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The "questionable" catches would not have been catches under the rule that was in effect (& should have been used). I believe they specifically said that Vincent stated the Clements catch would not have been ruled a catch under old rule.

ARTICLE 3. COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS.
Note: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must
lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

GreenMean69

Reaction score
https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2018/03/28/nfl-denies-new-catch-standard-used-super-bowl-lii/
"The NFL's senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron was asked Wednesday at the league meetings if the league used a new catch standard in the Super Bowl.
'No, we did not,' he said."

For most part it seems most people saw it was a good TD. Only a few fan bases seem to want to argue about it . Obviously Pats fans , Failcons , Commanders , Cowboys and Vikings. Poor Vikings fans are still butthurt over the NFCCG , but it does provide some great reading.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
For most part it seems most people saw it was a good TD. Only a few fan bases seem to want to argue about it . Obviously Pats fans , Failcons , Commanders , Cowboys and Vikings. Poor Vikings fans are still butthurt over the NFCCG , but it does provide some great reading.

I just don't get people willingly bending reality in an effort to not accept an unfavorable result. I've posted support for the story not being true 7 pages ago and to the OP twice before this page but people just step over it, cover their eyes and stop their ears, and keep running with the headline with no investigation. Fascinating.

Ghost12

Reaction score
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/28/17172888/super-bowl-52-catch-rule-corey-clement-zach-ertz-al-riveron
"... speculation that officials were “legislating on the fly” and using the new catch rule doesn’t seem to hold much water, because both rules would’ve had the same result."

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films...fficials-explain-why-Clement-s-catch-was-a-TD
"It sticks here and it goes there but it never loses control. Is there a little bit of ball movement? Yes, but that does not mean there's loss of control." - Gene Steratore to another official on the field during the game. 4:55 onward.​
And which part of those statements contradicts the fact that a guy who played for the Eagles for something like 8 years was in the booth helping Riveron make his replay decisions?

If that happened in a regular season Cowboys game - to say nothing of a Super Bowl - this forum would go bat**** crazy ballistic.