Twitter: NFL Overtime Rule Changed for Playoffs

Motorola

Reaction score
very sensible,generally we are seeing teams score a TD one the very first possession in OT in the playoffs depriving the other team to even respond because of them losing the toss.
But them not implementing it during regular season opens a Pandora's Box:
An overtime loss by a team that didn't get one OT possession could cost that team a division title or playoff berth.

The league needs to stop making differences between regular season and playoff overtime games.
A full 15-minute overtime quarter; each team is granted one possession in the overtime quarter.

Nav22

Reaction score
It’s just so stupid.

The coin toss will STILL provide a huge advantage, even more so... the only difference is teams will choose to kick rather than receive now.

There used to be pros/cons to kicking/receiving in OT. Not anymore!!! Now there’s literally 0 advantage to getting the ball first.

All because some dummies cried about Buffalo losing to KC.
:laugh:

Nav22

Reaction score
about time. its a good change. I am ok with it only being in playoffs as results are win or go home so give both teams a chance, and a coin toss doesn't decide the winner.....during the season it may not matter as much...yes, yes yes, final records and win/losses against common opponents, etc, make a difference in who makes playoffs, but its less impactful and it all depends. you have 17 games to prove you belong. perhaps after a couple of years they extend it to regular season
Whoever wins the coin toss gets to kick off first and that is NOW a huge advantage.

Terrible change.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Whoever wins the coin toss gets to kick off first and that is NOW a huge advantage.

Terrible change.
but both teams get a possession. where in current format, whoever wins the toss, wants possession and if they score a TD, its game over. however, now, the other offense gets a chance and they have to score a TD. both teams offenses get a chance. both teams defenses get put to the test

Flamma

Reaction score
but both teams get a possession. where in current format, whoever wins the toss, wants possession and if they score a TD, its game over. however, now, the other offense gets a chance and they have to score a TD. both teams offenses get a chance. both teams defenses get put to the test

All this really does is give the defense a 2nd chance.

Nav22

Reaction score
“Both teams get a possession” but there’s now a HUGE advantage to kicking first, and literally ZERO advantage to receiving first.

Under the previous system, the only advantage to receiving first was the possibility of a TD to win the game on the opening possession.

Now that’s gone, so the team kicking first has the huge advantage of knowing exactly what they’ll need to do regardless of what the opponent does with their possession.

How is this better?

Einstein

Reaction score
Don't like it... if you don't get the ball first play D stop them then go score and win.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Then we should have kept Greg the Leg. He can make a 56 yard FG, but miss those shorter FG's from the 30's-40's range! :muttley:
Honestly....I think my idea is brilliant. Definitely puts pressure not only on the kicker....but on the coaching staff as well on how far they should attempt a kick.

links18

Reaction score
Honestly....I think my idea is brilliant. Definitely puts pressure not only on the kicker....but on the coaching staff as well on how far they should attempt a kick.
Well, someone will complain that it still comes down to the coin toss, since the second team to kick would know exactly how far a FG they need to make. Or did I miss something?

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Silly overreaction to social media griping of casual fans who barely watch or understand the game. But whatever keeps the sport popular I guess.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Why not just leave it the way it was?

Instead of pinning your hopes on an overtime coin toss, maybe some teams will be more aggressive in regulation and not play for overtime. The bottom line is there is only so many ways to do this (short of adopting the college overtime format) so somebody is always going to whine and complain when their team loses.

If you don't want the coin toss to determine your fate, maybe, I don't know, get a stop on defense? Is that not part of your team?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I feel much better knowing Little Enos is in the room.

He tried to get them all to agree to each team getting a half-possession, but only for a one-year deal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not thrilled with this rule change. They changed it once saying if you got possesion1st and settled for the FG the other team would have the opportunity with the ball to tie it or win it with a TD. So now team 1 goes out get the TD then team 2 also move the ball down the field and get a TD, we are now back to the next score wins, it could be a FG but the next score wins? NFL and their rule changes

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
“Both teams get a possession” but there’s now a HUGE advantage to kicking first, and literally ZERO advantage to receiving first.

Under the previous system, the only advantage to receiving first was the possibility of a TD to win the game on the opening possession.

Now that’s gone, so the team kicking first has the huge advantage of knowing exactly what they’ll need to do regardless of what the opponent does with their possession.

How is this better?
well, intrepreting it that way, when you recieve you know exactly what you have to do to win. score a TD, its over. exact same logic. same in the new process, get the ball second, you know exactly what you have to do. score TD to win, or tie.

however, regardless of "advantage", there is no coin toss deciding the game. last year, Allen didn't get a chance in over time against KC. is that fair? flip of a coin decided who gets the ball first, in a high scoring game where defenses were struggling. KC scores a TD in over time and game over. KC knew exactly what they need to do to win.

sorry, I kind of like this one and had advocated for it in the past. IMO, its a good change.

Flamma

Reaction score
No coin flip. Just have the home team get the ball first in OT. Just another advantage of being home.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Why would any team elect to receive the ball first now?

Stupid change. There’s now a huge advantage to kicking first in OT. All because some crybabies didn’t like seeing Buffalo lose.

Exactly, that was the final straw. Seeing media darling Allen and the Bills just watch Mahomes & Co. win in OT without a response. Of course, that is why they call it sudden death. But if both teams score a TD on their first possession i guess its back to the old rules again, first team scores wins... so other than extending the game, not sure what this accomplishes. Knee jerk reaction, with emphasis on the jerk.

Nav22

Reaction score
well, intrepreting it that way, when you recieve you know exactly what you have to do to win. score a TD, its over. exact same logic. same in the new process, get the ball second, you know exactly what you have to do. score TD to win, or tie.

however, regardless of "advantage", there is no coin toss deciding the game. last year, Allen didn't get a chance in over time against KC. is that fair? flip of a coin decided who gets the ball first, in a high scoring game where defenses were struggling. KC scores a TD in over time and game over. KC knew exactly what they need to do to win.

sorry, I kind of like this one and had advocated for it in the past. IMO, its a good change.
That makes no sense at all.

Under the previous rules, the receiving team could ONLY win the game by scoring a TD on their opening possession. This created a natural pros/cons situation for getting the ball first vs kicking off first in OT.

There is no longer ANY advantage to getting the ball first in OT. None. Now every single team will elect to kick off and THAT will be a huge advantage now.

Kansas City knew that a TD wins the game BUT they also knew that if they failed to score, Buffalo has a golden opportunity to win with just a field goal. That’s called a trade-off and THAT was fair.

You know what’s UNFAIR? Getting the ball first (like Buffalo would under the revised rules - KC would surely elect to kick off when winning the coin toss) WITH ZERO UPSIDE FOR GETTING THE BALL FIRST. So the coin toss STILL creates a huge advantage for the winner, with zero downside to kicking first.