Twitter: NFL Overtime Rule Changed for Playoffs

Nav22

Reaction score
ok, responding so you can post more emoji's and feel better about yourself...
“DURRRR BUT WHAT IF THE CHIEFS GO FOR 2 AND RISK IMMEDIATELY LOSING IF THE BILLS SCORE THE MATCHING TD WITH A PAT!?!? THAT ISN’T COMPLETELY STUPID IS IT????”
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Nav22

Reaction score
ok, responding so you can feel better about your self by posting more emoji's
I love slapping around little runts like you.

It’s JUST SO HARD for you to say, “Oh crap, I was wrong, I DID say the thing that I claimed I never said!”

Admitting you were CLEARLY WRONG would be an affront to your manhood, Runty!!!

Keep humiliating yourself!

DURRRRRR I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE CHIEFS HAVING A 2ND POSSESSION GUARANTEED, YOU HAVE ADHD!!!!!!

***Earlier Wednesday***

but in the old way, you know if you score a TD you win and the other team never gets a chance. in this scenrio if you score a TD you are minimally gauranteed a second possession to end the game with any score.“
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Hoods

Reaction score
very sensible,generally we are seeing teams score a TD one the very first possession in OT in the playoffs depriving the other team to even respond because of them losing the toss.
They can respond by playing defense.

links18

Reaction score
I think this only deals with playoff games, not week 17 games.

That was his point, I think. If you are going to change it for the playoffs why not week 17 also, which is like a de facto playoff game for bubble teams.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Well, someone will complain that it still comes down to the coin toss, since the second team to kick would know exactly how far a FG they need to make. Or did I miss something?
But you still need to make the kick though....that's the point. 50+ yard FGs are no gimme....and it adds an element of poker to the game. How far are you willing to risk?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Quick thoughts;

Going into this I agreed with some that this would create a scenario where the second team had an advantage knowing what they needed to win and thus being able to push on 4th etc. People will always complain.

I did not know that in the regular season first team receiving was somewhere around 50% win..54 over 4 years but 10 of 12 playoff OTs first team won.

I didn’t mind the old rule at all but I guess now it allows for options on O and D and more strategy. I still think there will always be complaints on who has the advantage. Just the nature of it

If you really want to win, defer and get a safety. Game over. :)

conner01

Reaction score
very sensible,generally we are seeing teams score a TD one the very first possession in OT in the playoffs depriving the other team to even respond because of them losing the toss.
It’s a reasonable compromise
Though the resistance in regular season I don’t really get unless it’s about TV
I could see wanting noon games to not go over but other than that not sure why it’s a big deal

conner01

Reaction score
The previous rule was the oddest thing about the NFL.
Of course, you give each offense (and defense) a chance to play in Overtime.

Every team has its strength, but if you get two teams where by far their greatest strength is offense, then, literally a coin flip easily could decide a game. It certainly did this year with Buffalo/KC

Seems so insanely simple.

Good for them
I assume it was about jeering the games on schedule as much as anything

conner01

Reaction score
Wanna fix overtime? How about this.....coin flip. Winner gets choice to go first or last....both kickers get one kick. Longest FG wins.

Would save the players from getting injured.

Keep games short...

Still have sudden death for one team or the other.
Fans want games decided by players, not kickers lol
I rather see the cheerleaders wrestle for it than kickers

conner01

Reaction score
But them not implementing it during regular season opens a Pandora's Box:
An overtime loss by a team that didn't get one OT possession could cost that team a division title or playoff berth.

The league needs to stop making differences between regular season and playoff overtime games.
A full 15-minute overtime quarter; each team is granted one possession in the overtime quarter.
I think most fans would want that
Up until a noon games takes the first quarter of their favorite teams game away lol
I suspect that’s a huge factor
Tv is the money maker

links18

Reaction score
But you still need to make the kick though....that's the point. 50+ yard FGs are no gimme....and it adds an element of poker to the game. How far are you willing to risk?

Sounds sort of like the dreaded soccer penalty shoot out--the game decided by a very specialized facet of the game rather "normal play." One wonders why they don't just scrap the preceding 120 minutes of the often fruitless soccer match and go straight to penalties from the start?

Motorola

Reaction score
I think most fans would want that
Up until a noon games takes the first quarter of their favorite teams game away lol
I suspect that’s a huge factor
Tv is the money maker
Possible solutions
1) switch to the 3:30 central/ 4:30 eastern game for the local/regional markets involved for the two teams,
OT game stays all other markets watching it from the beginning
2) split screen to see both OT and 2nd game simultaneously

conner01

Reaction score
Possible solutions
1) switch to the 3:30 central/ 4:30 eastern game for the local/regional markets involved for the two teams,
OT game stays all other markets watching it from the beginning
2) split screen to see both OT and 2nd game simultaneously
Good ideas

conner01

Reaction score
I wish CBS & FOX would collaborate on something like offering an alternate channel to view OT finish.
That’s pretty complicated
You sell ads for a particular game then move it to an alternative channel that you’ve sold ads at a much cheaper price on
Split screen would be nice
Have the first game broadcast and second game video
I don’t think it’s a impossible solution just don’t think broadcasters or owners want to deal with it
I’m sure players wouldn’t want a long drawn out OT either
Allowing both teams the ball could really drag out a game if both scored a TD
Then do you simply say next score wins? Keep playing till someone wins?
Something like college might work
Say give each team the ball at the 50
Each team gets a shot
If it’s still tied require 2 point conversion
But if you give equal possessions you always run the risk of a long game

conner01

Reaction score
So they'll play a different game in the playoffs than they did to get to the playoffs?

#ClownLeague
The playoffs are fairly different already
Officials sure don’t call as many penalties
But in the case of both teams getting the ball I see regular season games almost as important since one loss could knock you out of playoffs or change your path thru the playoffs
I suspect though it’s all about the time OT takes and how that effects the networks who pay the bills

Motorola

Reaction score
That’s pretty complicated
You sell ads for a particular game then move it to an alternative channel that you’ve sold ads at a much cheaper price on
Split screen would be nice
Have the first game broadcast and second game video
I don’t think it’s a impossible solution just don’t think broadcasters or owners want to deal with it
I’m sure players wouldn’t want a long drawn out OT either
Allowing both teams the ball could really drag out a game if both scored a TD
Then do you simply say next score wins? Keep playing till someone wins?
Something like college might work
Say give each team the ball at the 50
Each team gets a shot
If it’s still tied require 2 point conversion
But if you give equal possessions you always run the risk of a long game
That's why the the original Overtime rules for the NFL aka "Sudden Death" created in 1940 for regular season games, then in 1946 for championship games was Ideal.

The college " overtime" structure is pure mindless, foolish BS.
The "periods" are in actually just possessions - reminiscent of how high school playoff games at regulations' end were decided back in the past; in Texas, the term was "penetrations".

Start at the opponent's 25 - score TD + FG; THEN - if both teams are tied after THREE "OT periods " now required going for 2-point conversion = 1995 season through 2020 season.
However - after a quarter century of 17-17 ties going to 35 -34, 28-28 ties going to 50-49 ...followed by
games that went 7 and 9 "overtimes" with scores 71-63 and 74-72 = BASKETBALL GAME RESULTS.
One college game in 2017 with a 3:30 pm eastern time start didn’t end until after 8pm .
Starting with the 2021 season-- teams tied after the first overtime must run a 2-Pt conversion play.
If still tied after the 2nd "OT" - the teams now have to do 2-point conversions (as opposed to the previous few seasons when they weren't required to do it until after the 5th "overtime".
Utterly stupid decision making that didn't take into account the scenarios that could- and did- happen that made many a college football game ending a farce.