NFL owners to talk replay expansion at Annual League Meeting

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In the two months since the NFC Championship Game, the pass-interference-that-wasn't has overshadowed almost everything, with even a top NFL executive admitting that the blown call late in regulation that helped send the Los Angeles Rams to the Super Bowl took a bit of the air out of what had been one of the league's most exciting seasons.

In the coming days, team owners could try to minimize the chances that it ever happens again.

At the NFL's Annual League Meeting, which starts Sunday and continues through Wednesday, owners will consider whether to expand replay to allow pass interference -- and perhaps even roughing the passer and defenseless player fouls -- to be reviewable. In the past, owners have been reluctant to make judgment calls reviewable. But the league's own data shows that defensive and offensive pass interference account for the most officiating errors on impactful plays. Defensive pass interference accounted for 70 percent of fouls with the largest impact on a game-winning chance in games from the 2016 through 2018 regular seasons. Of the 50 biggest incorrect calls made during that span, 24 were defensive pass interference. Offensive pass interference is the most common mistaken non-call.

"The goal is to correct clear officiating errors on impactful plays," said Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, in an interview with NFL.com earlier this week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...alk-replay-expansion-at-annual-league-meeting

JayFord

Reaction score
First of all they need some sort of concrete fines or punishment for officials because these officials suck

I understand missed calls are going to happen but every game I watch I see at least 4-5 questionable calls that make me think either this game is fixed or the refs are just 2 IQ points higher than butter

Doomsday101

Reaction score
First of all they need some sort of concrete fines or punishment for officials because these officials suck

I understand missed calls are going to happen but every game I watch I see at least 4-5 questionable calls that make me think either this game is fixed or the refs are just 2 IQ points higher than butter

I'm not in favor of fining them, do we fine players for 4 or 5 bad plays? They are graded each game and they can and do lose their jobs. In the end if there are things like replay to help get the call right then to me that is what matters the most.

JayFord

Reaction score
I'm not in favor of fining them, do we fine players for 4 or 5 bad plays? They are graded each game and they can and do lose their jobs. In the end if there are things like replay to help get the call right then to me that is what matters the most.

That’s understandable but there needs to be a punishment in place for calls like the one in the New Orleans game that was a downright fireable offense

Missed calls happen....but sometimes some plays and some behaviors of the officials warrant either a fine or suspension

conner01

Reaction score
You can’t fine a ref for a bad call
You might could for misinterpretation of a rule
There is no simple fix for the saints game
Refs get rewarded for doing a good job with playoffs games and punished in effect by making bad calls and missing playoff games
One thing many thought was the answer was full time refs and it’s made no difference while they’ve hired 24
Any fix for the saints game has the potential to be a disaster

JayFord

Reaction score
Go back to the rules in the 1970's and everything would be fixed. Beautiful, pure unadulterated football.

Football caters to the hip new crowd who drink lattes they can’t pronounce and wear jeans 2 sizes to small and act offended when someone says something that does not line up with their morals

That type of 70s football would be offensive to them

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That’s understandable but there needs to be a punishment in place for calls like the one in the New Orleans game that was a downright fireable offense

Missed calls happen....but sometimes some plays and some behaviors of the officials warrant either a fine or suspension

I just want the league to get it right and if it takes a replay to buzz down on an obvious missed call then do so. I just know no matter which sport it is the refs catch hell from fans and I would challenge anyone to try to do the job and see how fans would respond to your calls. It harder than it looks.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want to sue the refs and take everything they've got, put their families on welfare and food stamps and blackball their children from college and certainly officiating. Drastic measures? Not by my standards, this is football, by God!!!

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Just make every play reviewable. They worry about the integrity of the game, but looks so much worse when a bad judgement call cannot be reviewed or overturned. The refs make mistakes at times, making every play reviewable can rectify those human errors and get the calls right.

JayFord

Reaction score
I want to sue the refs and take everything they've got, put their families on welfare and food stamps and blackball their children from college and certainly officiating. Drastic measures? Not by my standards, this is football, by God!!!

You sound like that one coworker that everyone has and can’t stand lol

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You are far too kind. They should be flogged and quartered and their remains burned and then thrown in the swamp. :D

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Go back to the rules in the 1970's and everything would be fixed. Beautiful, pure unadulterated football.
That would be fine if the networks stopped showing instant replay.

Would everyone be ok with not seeing instant replay? Because you can’t show us then not take any action.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe in the playoffs they need to use everything available to make sure something like the rams and saints game dont happen again. It was pretty obvious.

The Dez catch no catch was a screw job IMO but was subject to refs and the rule. But this last playoff mistake was just too obvious. No up to the refs interpretation of a rule.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just want the league to get it right and if it takes a replay to buzz down on an obvious missed call then do so. I just know no matter which sport it is the refs catch hell from fans and I would challenge anyone to try to do the job and see how fans would respond to your calls. It harder than it looks.
I think this is the general sentiment from most fans. The new league is attempting to address this with Ref in Sky Box. The NFL could also add officials at key points around the field but mostly having someone at the helm to make an immediate review of the play as it happens which would speed up the review process. And make all plays reviewable. No red Flags from coaches. A quick review and move on.

conner01

Reaction score
Players makes mistakes
Refs make mistakes
Humans make mistakes
If you want every call, every time it’s probably possible
Then again games would be 4 hours and penalties would triple
For the most parts the officials do a decent job
Part of the issues are they aren’t a part of rules making but they have to enforce rules that aren’t well defined

Fire407

Reaction score
But if the Rams/Saints play had never happened, NOBODY would be calling for expansion of replay now. So one play in the 32 years of replay is enough to create a situation that could possibly open a can of worms where the game is one review after another. I realize that there have been some egregious calls and missed calls throughout the years, but I don't want to see every play reviewable because there is probably offensive holding or hands to the face on every play. And the simple fix people are calling for, like an extra challenge, won't do any good if the team is out of challenges and it happens with 2:05 left in the game. Again the Rams/Saints play was the exception that proves the rule; that if that play hadn't happened no one would be talking about replay. And one other point, the Rams got screwed 5 minutes before on a facemask non call that would have given them 1st and goal and probably a TD.