NFL possibly going to 18 game regular season

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
18 Season season says they don't care about the players. A 16 Game season is already though enough on players bodies, and can fill a team with injuries...

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
For my tastes the league is overexposed as it is. Thursday night, Sunday triple headers and Monday night games often involving crap teams on the broadcast turn me off. And hey! Let's play Saturday double headers while the colleges are resting up for bowl games!
I think the bigger issue, and why the union opposes this, is the wear and tear on their bodies. Ok, one way to handle that is through expanding rosters, especially game day rosters. I guess that allows teams to rest more starters in theory, but now you're adding practice squad, and worse, talent onto the field. I've seen other ideas that each player would have to take an individual bye week on top of the team bye week. Ugh. Aside from messing up my winning fantasy team, that leads to all kinds of tricky roster decisions about when to sit players, especially for teams trying to make the playoffs.
But I think the expansion to 18 games will happen. If the owners can make even more billions by undercutting more of the quality of the game and replacing it with doo-doo on a platter they'll find a way to make it happen.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I haven't lost interest in football, the NFL on the other hand......
I have lost interest in the refs and constant reviews and slowed play.

Tired of the refs going to NY for a decision. I just start channel surfing.

Also hate the fact they have changed kickoffs to the point there is no inside kick anymore.

Too much tweaking of things not needed.

I would like to see them dump the headsets b/w the sideline and the QB.

What happened to sending the play in with a player?

It's all becoming a made for TV soap opera anymore.

If it's going to go like this..

why don't we all be able to log in on our cellphones and be able to vote on penalty calls, fumbles, interceptions, sideline plays and holding calls.?

And let's not forget clipping calls and offsides and PASS INTERFERENCE.

I can never figure that out.

Even Troy Aikman says he never sees the calls from the booth.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
What a bunch of nonsense go back to 12 games and no preseason. Stop changing things. The Nflpa lawyer should be fired, you know 20 games a year everyone will get hurt. Same number of games and double the rookie cap or nothing. Why is that so difficult to agree on all the ridiculous trade a preseason game for regular season it’s just stupid no.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I know the money will be the deciding factor, but it's too much. It's too physical of a sport. 16 games is perfect. They really should trim the preseason down to 3 games too.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
That's different.

The sitting part.

How would you do that?

Let's say the season goes to 18 games and we'll use Elliott as an example. The team selects the 16 games he plays in and the other 2 Pollard gets the start. In the 2 Pollard sits Elliott is backed up by the 3rd string back.

Same plan for all other positions the NFL would just expand the 53 to include the practice squad. Exemptions for Punter and Kicker to play all 18, along with certain position backups that play below a certain number of snaps.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I kind of wondered what all of this schedule lengthening would do to the schedule making. Right now they have a nice symmetry going of 6 division games, 4 conference games, 4 out of conference games, and 2 rotating non-division against same place finishes. It makes the schedule easy to predict years out (we know the Cowboys will travel to Pittsburgh in 2024 for example). But extra games messes this up.
Great point !

Keep the 6 divisional. And the NFC and AFC divisional rotations.

The rest or additional 2 games would be divided up in 4 remaining conference games.

Could basically add two more conference games like two each from division we don’t play all.

For example our two additional games this year would have been one from NFC West and South.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Let's say the season goes to 18 games and we'll use Elliott as an example. The team selects the 16 games he plays in and the other 2 Pollard gets the start. In the 2 Pollard sits Elliott is backed up by the 3rd string back.

Same plan for all other positions the NFL would just expand the 53 to include the practice squad. Exemptions for Punter and Kicker to play all 18, along with certain position backups that play below a certain number of snaps.
Let me guess..

You are a tax accountant with too much free time right now?

I think the NFLPA will definitely hire you, bro.

:huh:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know the money will be the deciding factor, but it's too much. It's too physical of a sport. 16 games is perfect. They really should trim the preseason down to 3 games too.
We thought 12 and 14 games were perfect . The game is always evolving. And the 4 preseason games are a waste.

The leagues response to the networks attempt to lowball the NFL due to less viewership with alternate means to watch games on TV will be more games for the networks to broadcast.

As always follow the money trail.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
I know you guys must have picked up on this..

but I was wondering what you guys thought about the fact that there is discussion about increasing the regular season from 16 games to 18.

Additionally there is interest of reducing the pre-season games from 5 to 3.

I guess this will really gain speed when the TV contracts are up for renewal.

But wonder what you guys think about this and how does this effect the game.

One thing to me is it will increase rosters to help teams last that long and help keep play quality high.

Other observations?

Thanks guys.

:thumbup:
Never gonna happen. The NFL will never give up what the players will want to play two more regular season games.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I know you guys must have picked up on this..

but I was wondering what you guys thought about the fact that there is discussion about increasing the regular season from 16 games to 18.

Additionally there is interest of reducing the pre-season games from 5 to 3.

I guess this will really gain speed when the TV contracts are up for renewal.

But wonder what you guys think about this and how does this effect the game.

One thing to me is it will increase rosters to help teams last that long and help keep play quality high.

Other observations?

Thanks guys.

:thumbup:
I’m not a fan of this idea. I don’t think it does anything to increase the quality of the product on the field.

get it down to two preseason games and I might listen

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nothing watered down the quality of the league like Salary Cap has.

A couple more games will be an easier sell to players once they see NFL wont be able to offer as much as in the past which ultimately means less revenue for players.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Great point !

Keep the 6 divisional. And the NFC and AFC divisional rotations.

The rest or additional 2 games would be divided up in 4 remaining conference games.

Could basically add two more conference games like two each from division we don’t play all.

For example our two additional games this year would have been one from NFC West and South.
I mean, adding the games is fairly easy, but how do you determine which you ones add? Saying you play the Pats, you play the Jets ain't very fair.

I guess if you went to 18 games, you could do a total of 8 conference (non-division) games. You would rotate the division you don't play every third year.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Had not thought about that.

It seems that they could make it like soccer does it with the World Cup.

But obviously you have given it some thought.

Thanx.

:clap:
Interestingly enough... if there were willing to go down one game to 15 (fat chance) then they could do a round robin and get rid of divisions. No more crying about 7-9 playoff teams and such. But it would also mean no inter-conference play until the Super Bowl.. retro MLB style.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I mean, adding the games is fairly easy, but how do you determine which you ones add? Saying you play the Pats, you play the Jets ain't very fair.

I guess if you went to 18 games, you could do a total of 8 conference (non-division) games. You would rotate the division you don't play every third year.
The division rotations in NFC and AFC could remain the same. Just add two more conference games from divisions you aren’t already playing. Or I suppose you could add two more AFC games from teams not in division you’re already playing.

cern

Reaction score
Nothing watered down the quality of the league like Salary Cap has.

A couple more games will be an easier sell to players once they see NFL wont be able to offer as much as in the past which ultimately means less revenue for players.
'Splain it to me lucy. I don't get it at all. Is this a new theory of economics.