NFL Power Rankings - Cowboys 8

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't buy D Jax as a difference maker at this point in his career. He didn't really make big plays last year after like week 2, I don't know why we'd expect him to get better.

Howard sucks. Sanders might be good, but he's not much different than Ajayi.

The only possible difference is Goedert who, really, will see touches limited because he's behind Ertz. It's the Witten effect.

Jackson had nearly 800 yards in 12 games last year. If Gallup does that this year, that would be huge for our team. Plus you are comparing him to what the Eagles trotted out last year which wasn't much as the #2 WR until they tried to wedge Tate in there after a trade.

And yes, the Eagles running back situation is much better now considering they played much of 2018 with Josh Adams as one of their top TBs. Sanders is a different back than Ajayi.

If people think the Eagles offensive talent is "ehhh" then I think some people have their blue and silver goggles on.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I don't buy D Jax as a difference maker at this point in his career. He didn't really make big plays last year after like week 2, I don't know why we'd expect him to get better.

Howard sucks. Sanders might be good, but he's not much different than Ajayi.

The only possible difference is Goedert who, really, will see touches limited because he's behind Ertz. It's the Witten effect.

D Jax led all receivers last year in YAC and is the current active YAC leader among receivers. He can still get down the field. He also likes it in Philly, he never wanted to leave. If they go with the two TE sets they will cause problems for a lot of defenses. They still have their big WR in Jeffreys, and Agalor is fine in the slot. RB's are upgraded, and Sproles still might have a few drops left in the tank. The only question is the health of Wentz.

Sydla

Reaction score
D Jax led all receivers last year in YAC and is the current active YAC leader among receivers. He can still get down the field. He also likes it in Philly, he never wanted to leave. If they go with the two TE sets they will cause problems for a lot of defenses. They still have their big WR in Jeffreys, and Agalor is fine in the slot. RB's are upgraded, and Sproles still might have a few drops left in the tank. The only question is the health of Wentz.

I am curious to see where Brandon Brooks is coming off his injury.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Jackson had nearly 800 yards in 12 games last year. If Gallup does that this year, that would be huge for our team. Plus you are comparing him to what the Eagles trotted out last year which wasn't much as the #2 WR until they tried to wedge Tate in there after a trade.

And yes, the Eagles running back situation is much better now considering they played much of 2018 with Josh Adams as one of their top TBs. Sanders is a different back than Ajayi.

If people think the Eagles offensive talent is "ehhh" then I think some people have their blue and silver goggles on.
Those numbers are inflated by his first month of the season. He had 3 100-yard games in the first four weeks of the season and then didn't have more than 77 the rest of the way, and that was with ~8 targets a game. He's going to see fewer targets in this offense. Agholor was just as effective last year - and Ertz/Jeffery are their #1/2.

It's not better now because Jordan Howard is just plain bad, regardless of who they had running the ball last yera. Sanders is different than Ajayi, but his impact on a game will be basically the same.

I don't think it's "eh." I just don't think it's noticeably better than last year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
His YAC is more about usage than effectiveness last year, and those RBs aren't upgrades in terms of gameday impact. Otherwise, this was all true last year too.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
His YAC is more about usage than effectiveness last year, and those RBs aren't upgrades in terms of gameday impact. Otherwise, this was all true last year too.
How do you know those RB upgrades aren't upgrades in terms of gameday impact, seeing as they haven't played a game yet? None of us know for sure. You compared Sanders to Ajayi, saying his impact will be about the same. Well, his impact helped them win a SB. I'll take that impact if you won't.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I am curious to see where Brandon Brooks is coming off his injury.
I saw a video of one of his workouts...it looked like he was recovering well and showed good lateral movement in space, but that's not the same as having big bodies beating on you.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
and this ranking in the preseason means what its a lot like the games don't mean much

Sydla

Reaction score
I could justifiably see every team mentioned above us but the Eagles. Dak is 3-1 vs wINTz, we won the division last year, and upgraded several positions. In other words, we improved. But the Eagles are better? :facepalm:

Philly improved as well.

Sydla

Reaction score
Those numbers are inflated by his first month of the season. He had 3 100-yard games in the first four weeks of the season and then didn't have more than 77 the rest of the way, and that was with ~8 targets a game. He's going to see fewer targets in this offense. Agholor was just as effective last year - and Ertz/Jeffery are their #1/2.

It's not better now because Jordan Howard is just plain bad, regardless of who they had running the ball last yera. Sanders is different than Ajayi, but his impact on a game will be basically the same.

I don't think it's "eh." I just don't think it's noticeably better than last year.

Then, as you said, you are probably looking at this with some Cowboys glasses on.

It seems to be pretty well received across many media outlets, analysts, etc. that Philly is one of the more talented offenses in the NFL heading into the season. They are far from perfect but I'd take their unbiased opinions over that of a biased Cowboys (or Giants or Commanders fan for that matter).

Note, nowhere am I saying we can't beat them or won't beat them. But they are an improved team over the 2018 version, especially on offense IMO.

Fontaine

Reaction score
Why does Philly my always get so much love?

Wentz don’t have Foles to bail him out this year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
How do you know those RB upgrades aren't upgrades in terms of gameday impact, seeing as they haven't played a game yet? None of us know for sure. You compared Sanders to Ajayi, saying his impact will be about the same. Well, his impact helped them win a SB. I'll take that impact if you won't.
B/c Howard isn't an upgrade, and they aren't just going to hand Sanders the ball enough times to make a noticeable difference.

I never said the offense wasn't good enough to win a Super Bowl.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Then, as you said, you are probably looking at this with some Cowboys glasses on.

It seems to be pretty well received across many media outlets, analysts, etc. that Philly is one of the more talented offenses in the NFL heading into the season. They are far from perfect but I'd take their unbiased opinions over that of a biased Cowboys (or Giants or Commanders fan for that matter).
The offense was good last year. It is good this year.

How is that "Cowboys glasses?"

Sydla

Reaction score
The offense was good last year. It is good this year.

How is that "Cowboys glasses?"

You said it's the same. It's not. You said you can't figure out why Philly gets the love they get. They get the love they get because most see that Eagles offense as being much improved over last year's with the additions they made over what they ended the year with in 2018. They also have a really good DL and a HC that won a SB.

It's peculiar how people somehow can't see why that team might get high marks in these power polls.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
College football is the only football where writer’s rankings matter. I absolutely could not care less.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You said it's the same. It's not. You said you can't figure out why Philly gets the love they get. They get the love they get because most see that Eagles offense as being much improved over last year's with the additions they made over what they ended the year with in 2018. They also have a really good DL and a HC that won a SB.

It's peculiar how people somehow can't see why that team might get high marks in these power polls.
You're being too literal. I get why. I just don't agree with the idea that the additions they made have made them significantly better. They were good and are still good. The secondary is still terrible.