NFL Rumors: Here’s What’s Stalling Potential Earl Thomas-Cowboys Trade

garyv

Reaction score
earl-thomas_opt.jpg
https://nesn.com/2018/04/nfl-rumors-heres-whats-stalling-potential-earl-thomas-cowboys-trade/

Earl Thomas has stated his loyalty to the Seattle Seahawks, but the rumors of the star safety joining another NFC team refuse to die down.The Dallas Cowboys reportedly have had their eye on Thomas for some time. The feeling appears to be mutual, as the six-time Pro Bowl selection was spotted chatting with Jason Garrett after a Cowboys-Seahawks clash last season, advising Dallas’ coach to bring him to America’s Team. But if you’re wondering why there’s been no action despite the long-standing chatter, it might be due to Seattle’s expected high asking price for the defensive stalwart.

“The Cowboys have contacted the Seahawks about a potential draft trade,” the Star-Telegram’s Clarence E. Hill Jr. writes. “But the Seattle asking price of a first- and third-round draft pick was too high. The Cowboys are holding out hope that their asking price goes down to maybe a second-round pick.” While a player of Thomas’ caliber is worth a sizable haul, pressure could force the Seahawks to lower their demands. Thomas is set to enter the final year of his contract before becoming an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of the 2018 campaign. Out of fear of losing him for nothing, Seattle might have to make a business decision. And if the Seahawks go that route, it sounds like the Cowboys will be chomping at the bit to make a deal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have no idea, but I hope that whatever it is, we don't run out of it. We should not be talking about paying the price that's being asked for Thomas. It's a bad deal, if what is being reported is true.

garyv

Reaction score
You know and I know Jerry is wanting this for Draft Night. He will get drunk and pull this baby off like
he did the Hershal Walker trade (wink wink)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
earl-thomas_opt.jpg
https://nesn.com/2018/04/nfl-rumors-heres-whats-stalling-potential-earl-thomas-cowboys-trade/

Earl Thomas has stated his loyalty to the Seattle Seahawks, but the rumors of the star safety joining another NFC team refuse to die down.The Dallas Cowboys reportedly have had their eye on Thomas for some time. The feeling appears to be mutual, as the six-time Pro Bowl selection was spotted chatting with Jason Garrett after a Cowboys-Seahawks clash last season, advising Dallas’ coach to bring him to America’s Team. But if you’re wondering why there’s been no action despite the long-standing chatter, it might be due to Seattle’s expected high asking price for the defensive stalwart.

“The Cowboys have contacted the Seahawks about a potential draft trade,” the Star-Telegram’s Clarence E. Hill Jr. writes. “But the Seattle asking price of a first- and third-round draft pick was too high. The Cowboys are holding out hope that their asking price goes down to maybe a second-round pick.” While a player of Thomas’ caliber is worth a sizable haul, pressure could force the Seahawks to lower their demands. Thomas is set to enter the final year of his contract before becoming an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of the 2018 campaign. Out of fear of losing him for nothing, Seattle might have to make a business decision. And if the Seahawks go that route, it sounds like the Cowboys will be chomping at the bit to make a deal.

"Out of fear of losing him for nothing" is grossly inaccurate.

Last edited:

garyv

Reaction score
I honestly think everyone in the CowboyZone is getting a woodie thinking about adding Earl Thomas in
the Dallas Cowboy Secondary. Be honest.

wilfred

Reaction score
It always seems our guys every season (dez,scandrick) don’t have any trade value to other teams and we just release them. Yet players we are interested in, well teams want 1st or 2nd rounders, and most of the time we do it.
You would think this front office is run by amateurs

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like ET but my gawd, so many here act like he’s the cornerstone to a championship. He’s going into his 9th season, is 29 years old, hasn’t played a full season since 2015. I’m not knocking him. Great player from 2010-2015. But now? Not sure.

Again, he has been a great player, but for how much longer? I wouldn’t mind having him around for sure. BUT- at what price and for how long? He’s a FA next year, which means we must also be careful about signing a guy at this age to anything more than an incentive laden, team friendly, short term deal.

Trading for a guy like Earl Thomas is usually a move made by a team that is “one key player away” from glory. Are the Cowboys that kind of team? No. Can we make some noise next year? Maybe. But this team needs a lot more than a 29 year old safety who hasn’t been injury free in 2 years. Caution flags!!!