NFL Rumors: Here’s What’s Stalling Potential Earl Thomas-Cowboys Trade

The Cleaner

Reaction score
To all the people saying they would only offer a 4th rounder or worse for Earl Thomas - are you aware that if Dallas traded for him and let him leave as a free agent after one year, they would probably get a compensatory 3rd round pick in return? It seems pretty unlikely that Seattle will accept a trade where their compensation is less than what they would receive by letting Earl walk after a year.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
To all the people saying they would only offer a 4th rounder or worse for Earl Thomas - are you aware that if Dallas traded for him and let him leave as a free agent after one year, they would probably get a compensatory 3rd round pick in return? It seems pretty unlikely that Seattle will accept a trade where their compensation is less than what they would receive by letting Earl walk after a year.

Seattle is not trading him for a 4th, they are not stupid.

The hang up is the first rounder, Dallas is not going to give up pick 19 because that is going to be our new starting WR.

So its 2nd rounder or nothing..............your move Seattle

Carter

Reaction score
Not more than a 4th honestly. Hes hitting 30 hasnt been healthy last 3 years.

He is a FA next season. Its not like hes the missing Piece to our Championship Run this Season so we can just wait a year and sign him as a FA next Offseason if we want.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
If the FO could get the deal done for a 4th, I’d be thrilled. Even a 3rd tbh. ET would put the growing secondary at a new level and we aren’t going to draft anyone at that point who could match that potential right away. The cap hit would be tough but it’s manageable.

I believe the backfield is going to be strength moving forward and with Richard coming in, along with ET to teach the nuances, the secondary could become elite. Dallas rated in the 20s late season in both passing TDs and TO ratings.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I honestly think everyone in the CowboyZone is getting a woodie thinking about adding Earl Thomas in
the Dallas Cowboy Secondary. Be honest.

Not really. Older player who will cost a lot, while I kind of like our young guys.

Lots of other places I'd rather spend that money.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Not more than a 4th honestly. Hes hitting 30 hasnt been healthy last 3 years.

He is a FA next season. Its not like hes the missing Piece to our Championship Run this Season so we can just wait a year and sign him as a FA next Offseason if we want.
Too many times ive seen teams give up too much for a player who is older and had some injuries and it never really works out in their favor!

John813

Reaction score

In 2020.

3rd or 4th in 18 may be worth more than a potential 3rd rounder in 2020.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a trade down in round 1, netting us another 3'rd rounder. Take that Seattle and not a pick higher. You don't want it? Early is yours for the season, disgruntled players are great. Keep him

ksg811

Reaction score

That’s the cost of receiving your pick early. Seattle would get AT BEST a 3rd round compensatory in 2020 and possibly only a 4th. The third would be around pick 100, almost 20 picks lower than our 3rd at 81. The government doesn’t increase your Social Security payout because you want it at 64 instead of 66. They reduce it for early withdrawal. The present value of a maturing asset is less than the full value at maturity.

That leaves the present fair value at a 4th. If a sweetener is needed, then a conditional mid round 2019 pick can be added.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

What Seattle would accept doesn't concern me. Overpaying for a guy because of what he's been in the past would be bad business.

History tells us ET's best years are likely behind him, and then there are his contract status and salary expectations to consider. Those factors should be the basis of any offer for him.

phildadon86

Reaction score
"Out of fear of losing him for nothing" is grossly inaccurate.
Not really. If you’re referring to comp picks they won’t get higher than a third. The safety market was really soft this offseason I don’t see him getting what he thinks on the open market. Dallas is his best chance at one more big pay day

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not really. If you’re referring to comp picks they won’t get higher than a third. The safety market was really soft this offseason I don’t see him getting what he thinks on the open market. Dallas is his best chance at one more big pay day

Yes, really.

A third round comp pick is entirely different from "nothing". Anybody saying they would lose him for "nothing" is uninformed.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
the problem is Thomas leaves next year, signs a huge deal elsewhere and Seattle gets a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. So why would they take only that from us and also lose him for this season?

sdfidaho

Reaction score
Nice. I grew up in Boise. Nice place. Moved away for school a long while ago and even though I have lived in other cities in mountain west/intermountain area, Boise is probably still my favorite. Denver and Salt Lake are nice, but there's just too damn many people. Everything in between is too damn rural for my tastes.

Moved here from Illinois in March of 2000.
The growth here is insane, but I love the area!
Mild temperatures with beautiful scenery and plenty of things to do.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It's funny that the same posters that always comp lain about the front office "picking up players from Home Depot and the JAGS".

Now the office is truly interested in a game changer and now the same posters are saying "i wouldnt give more than a 4th".

TELL ME IN WHAT WORLD IS EARL THOMAS NOT WORTH AT LEAST A 3RD ROUNDER