NFL salary cap could drop by $70 million per team next season?

zekecowboy

Reaction score
NFLPA head suggests that salary cap could drop by $70 million next season

Lindsay Jones
@bylindsayhjones

·
Jul 17, 2020
Replying to @bylindsayhjones
DeMaurice Smith: "We are all trying to get to the right decision more so than getting to the fast decision."

Lindsay Jones
@bylindsayhjones

DeMaurice Smith said there are estimates that each team could lose $70 million in 2020, which could mean a 2021 salary cap of around $120M.

As the NFL looks to start its 2020 season on time in less than two months, there’s some major financial components to it all amid the ongoing pandemic.

We’re seeing somewhat of a split between the players and league as it relates to how salary structures will work during a 2020 season that likely won’t seen fans in attendance.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/07/nfl-salary-cap-could-drop-by-70-million-per-team-next-season/

HungryLion

Reaction score
I just don’t think allowing a drop of $70 mil in one year is even feasible. Teams literally wouldn’t be able to field squads. I know it’s all about the money. But are teams having to cut some of their best players to fit them under a lowered cap, is that in their best interests financially, long term?

I imagine they will slow down the growth of the salary cap, rather than let the cap itself drop in one season.

IMO.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If this was at ALL a hangup in Prescott negotiations, everyone involved blew it.

Perfect opportunity to simply make his salary a percentage of whatever the cap is, and the greedy agent would have had no complaint about not being able to cash in on a rising cap in that all too important year five.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You make it sound really simple… They are going to lose a ton of revenue this year… The players will feel that just like the owner will.
I didn't say it would be simple. The billionaire vs millionaire bouts often arent.

But players dont want to be cut in massive droves, and teams dont want to lose their players, and the league doesnt want teams using guys that dont belong in the league just because they play cheap.

They will have to work something out.

Mr_437

Reaction score
That would really hurt the on field product, having a cap go back down. For the sake of the league could the owners take the losses they'd have this season, and keep the cap flat for 2021?

Owners should be able to take one down year considering the large amounts dough even the worst of franchises were receiving.

75boyz

Reaction score
NFLPA head suggests that salary cap could drop by $70 million next season

Lindsay Jones
@bylindsayhjones

·
Jul 17, 2020
Replying to @bylindsayhjones
DeMaurice Smith: "We are all trying to get to the right decision more so than getting to the fast decision."

Lindsay Jones
@bylindsayhjones

DeMaurice Smith said there are estimates that each team could lose $70 million in 2020, which could mean a 2021 salary cap of around $120M.

As the NFL looks to start its 2020 season on time in less than two months, there’s some major financial components to it all amid the ongoing pandemic.

We’re seeing somewhat of a split between the players and league as it relates to how salary structures will work during a 2020 season that likely won’t seen fans in attendance.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/07/nfl-salary-cap-could-drop-by-70-million-per-team-next-season/

In an equally divided league payroll driven by parity I'm putting my money on the hooded guy in Boston to be able to do more with less.
Probably just me though I know, Lol

khiladi

Reaction score
Again, Jerry did this last year in 2019:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/business-leaders/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-buys-energy-company

This is what happened in May 2020 with Comstock and after the government pumped trillions in the badly-hurt energy industry, that continually takes a beating:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/05/14/why-comstock-resources-plummeted-36-at-the-open-on.aspx

This is what Jerry said when he extended Zeke:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/busines...gas-investment-helped-pay-for-ezekiel-elliott

https://sports.yahoo.com/on-day-jer...-recouped-62-m-on-stock-market-215406935.html

JJHLH1

Reaction score
If that rumor is true this will be Dak’s last season as a Cowboy. No way they can afford to pay him $38 million if the salary cap is $120 million. That’s 31.6% of the cap for just one player.

Another case of classic mismanagement by Jerry Jones.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I just don’t think allowing a drop of $70 mil in one year is even feasible. Teams literally wouldn’t be able to field squads. I know it’s all about the money. But are teams having to cut some of their best players to fit them under a lowered cap, is that in their best interests financially, long term?

I imagine they will slow down the growth of the salary cap, rather than let the cap itself drop in one season.

IMO.

There would likely be pay cuts agreed to by the players association that would offset sone of the cap hit of that's the case.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If that rumor is true this will be Dak’s last season as a Cowboy. No way they can afford to pay him $38 million if the salary cap is $120 million. That’s 31.6% of the cap for just one player.

Another case of classic mismanagement by Jerry Jones.
No team can, and it goes way beyond Prescott.

This cant happen and wont.

I cant stand Jerry with a passion, but I'm not going to attempt to pin COVID on him.

blueblood70

Reaction score

IMO.
best bet tp make up that would be a cap freeze for 3 years, so whatever it is this season it stays this way for the next 3 to help make up for losses..oh hey maybe then QBS will actually get paid what they are worth VS what teams can overpay..

hopefully that would also mean TAGS would drop , new rules set to use the tag with out it being so high.. hello Dak..:)

eastsideboy

Reaction score
I didn't say it would be simple. The billionaire vs millionaire bouts often arent.

But players dont want to be cut in massive droves, and teams dont want to lose their players, and the league doesnt want teams using guys that dont belong in the league just because they play cheap.

They will have to work something out.
You're right all players will have to take and immediate 50% pay cut

eastsideboy

Reaction score
No team can, and it goes way beyond Prescott.

This cant happen and wont.

I cant stand Jerry with a passion, but I'm not going to attempt to pin COVID on him.
I don't think I could be a fan of a team that I hate the owner with a passion