NFL salary cap could drop by $70 million per team next season?

tm1119

Reaction score
Most teams already have more than $120 guaranteed $ committed in 2021. There’s no getting out of legally binding contracts with guaranteed $. So that means most owners would be paying players 10’s of millions to NOT play football just to get under this self imposed salary cap. That’s cutting your nose off to spite your face.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Sorry?

Now Jerrah should have known about a World Wide Pandemic and included provisions in contracts to account for it?

Now Jerrah is at fault becuz Dak is overstepping what he is worth?

I have been saying for month this virus was going to completely change sports as we know it.

Nobody wanted to discuss it. All I got was crickets.

We going to watch everything change now. If teams get hit with waves of sickness requiring isolation for 14 days..

we will have to move backups into starting roles immediately, we will special teams
guys starting, the whole product will look like HS. Some players may have to play both ways.

No paying customers? They will have a 10 game season and maybe 2 rounds of p!layoffs and a SB.

Get ready for the weirdest season you could ever imagine.

Personally I think they should just stop the season and wait until the vaccine appears in 2021.

A couple of seasons ago didn’t Jeff Heath have to fill in as the place kicker for a game? It was funny for a while but I agree that a season filled with that kind of play would get old quickly.

This season will be interesting for sure.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Good, will virtually ensure we get rid of average Dak.
Maybe we can keep below average Opie and win the salary cap championship. If we can stay just north of the salary cap floor Jerry can pocket some extra cash, invaluable in a declining economy. Can’t wait for that Forbes most valuable sports franchise to come out. It should be soon and the Cowboys are going for their 5th straight title!

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Just so we remember, the cap is roughly 50% of revenue. What this is saying is that revenue is expected to drop by $140m per team next year (or about for round numbers). When you look at the $70 million per team cap reduction, that is already with the owners taking a $70m hit.

The cap IS going down. The owners aren't just going to eat a $140m per team loss. I have no idea how you even manage that. A lot of the cap hits were already paid. You can't just cut everyone's salary. Every team would likely be way over that number.

As far as Dak, man his agent is an idiot. He would have been much better off to take a huge signing bonus and put it in his pocket than deal with getting murdered next year. Dallas won't be able to give him the $37m tag and no team will have enough capspace to offer a huge contract. France is a freaking moron and cost multiple of his clients massive amounts of money because he didn't read the papers.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
I looked into my crystal ball and what did I see..
A worldwide pandemic coming after me...
Jerrah gave out big contracts to Coop and EE..
Now there's no more money, 8-8 again we'll be.

conner01

Reaction score
One solution I heard being discussed was to "freeze" the salary cap and next years cap would "borrow" from future seasons. Basically next years cap would remain the same as this seasons and depending on how much revenue was lost, there would be no salary cap increase for the next couple of seasons or maybe just smaller than usual increase.

There could be a situation where the cap remains the same for 2-3 seasons. There is no way the cap would be cut that drastically, the cost would be spread out over multiple seasons.
Seems like the best option but so many deals have been done based on cap continuing to grow
3 years of steady cap is gonna change things for players and teams
Salaries may actually drop

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
That would really hurt the on field product, having a cap go back down. For the sake of the league could the owners take the losses they'd have this season, and keep the cap flat for 2021?

Owners should be able to take one down year considering the large amounts dough even the worst of franchises were receiving.
billionares didnt get to be that way by always losing large amounts of money

conner01

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be so sure that players with guaranteed portions of their contracts are going to just agree to 70 million worth of cuts per team for one season

If I was a star player, with a lot of guaranteed money left. I would tell the team to pound sand, personally.
Doubt contracts already done would be effected but sure hurts a guy about to be a free agent next year or two if it stayed the same 2-3 years
Teams won’t have as much money to spend which could cause lots of one year deals or players not getting as much
Market value would go down

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, now the players will get to see why the owners make so much money. It's in times like this that only the owners' revenues will drop. I seriously doubt that players are let go as most are under contract. Now, we'll see.

Adreme

Reaction score
Well, now the players will get to see why the owners make so much money. It's in times like this that only the owners' revenues will drop. I seriously doubt that players are let go as most are under contract. Now, we'll see.

The owners are not going to let their money drop. All that is going to happen is borrowing against future cap years increases so that in the end the owners still come out ahead. If it needs to be 70 million to keep the cap flat that will probably suggest a relatively flat cap for the next 3-4 years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
billionares didnt get to be that way by always losing large amounts of money
Yes, for the most part, it was given to them, but that's a different debate.

I'll also say that they didnt sustain it by being dumb, and purposely putting themselves in a spot where every team needs to cut half its roster and replace them with UDFAs while tons of talented players sit unsigned...would be exactly that, because it would devalue the product by obscene amounts.

Wont happen.

DFWJC

Reaction score
NFLPA head suggests that salary cap could drop by $70 million next season

Lindsay Jones
@bylindsayhjones

·
Jul 17, 2020
Replying to @bylindsayhjones
DeMaurice Smith: "We are all trying to get to the right decision more so than getting to the fast decision."

Lindsay Jones
@bylindsayhjones

DeMaurice Smith said there are estimates that each team could lose $70 million in 2020, which could mean a 2021 salary cap of around $120M.

As the NFL looks to start its 2020 season on time in less than two months, there’s some major financial components to it all amid the ongoing pandemic.

We’re seeing somewhat of a split between the players and league as it relates to how salary structures will work during a 2020 season that likely won’t seen fans in attendance.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/07/nfl-salary-cap-could-drop-by-70-million-per-team-next-season/
Poor reporting.

She added in the salary cap part.
Maurice Jones said each team could lose an average of 70 mil.

That does not mean the cap would drop by that amount.

The league has the ability to smooth it out by “borrowing” from future cap increases.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Poor reporting.

She added in the salary cap part.
Maurice Jones said each team could lose an average of 70 mil.

That does not mean the cap would drop by that amount.

The league has the ability to smooth it out by “borrowing” from future cap increases.
The league doesn't want to do that because it would be giving the players free loans. The owners would be taking the whole hit. What owners will want is for the players to agree to a percentage of their salaries to be reduced so that they all share the hit.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The league doesn't want to do that because it would be giving the players free loans. The owners would be taking the whole hit. What owners will want is for the players to agree to a percentage of their salaries to be reduced so that they all share the hit.
It wouldn't be a free loan.
They would factor in some rate and recoup it

Flamma

Reaction score
One solution I heard being discussed was to "freeze" the salary cap and next years cap would "borrow" from future seasons. Basically next years cap would remain the same as this seasons and depending on how much revenue was lost, there would be no salary cap increase for the next couple of seasons or maybe just smaller than usual increase.

There could be a situation where the cap remains the same for 2-3 seasons. There is no way the cap would be cut that drastically, the cost would be spread out over multiple seasons.

This is what I assumed as well. The cap would stay relatively close to where it is now until revenues catch up. The league can't take a dramatic drop in the cap. Cutting players is not always an option as in many cases the dead cap is higher than their cap hit.

Keep in mind that a stagnant Salcap is not good either. A lot of contracts are structured with the mindset of the salary cap going up. In just 3 years the Mahomes contract is not so team friendly anymore.