NFL Sunday Game Thread

Shannon1

Reaction score
So technically this is a case where both things are true. If the Cowboys win next week they are technically in first place. However if both teams win out then the Eagles win the division. Basically with how the tiebreakers work the Eagles have not played the games, against the Giants and Cardinals, that would put them in first place but if they do and win those games they then take first place.
Plus Seattle at Seattle

Adreme

Reaction score
Dude, that’s why you have preexisting neutral and published criteria in the first place. For exactly this kind of situation.

Total garbage.
Yes they do and one of the preexisting criteria is to factor in how good each is at the moment based on their current roster. There is no requirement about being a power 5 champion and that giving you an advantage. The thing I listed is how they factored the strength of Florida State at the moment. They are down their QB so they viewed them as less than the champions of the other conferences.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
terrible outburst....should have never typed such a thing...i dont want anyone hurt....its only a game....why do i get so emotional??

Move on everyone gets emotional. Didn’t think you meant it in the literal sense. Nobody ever wishes injury on a player unless you’re an iggles fan which we know you are not.

Motorola

Reaction score
I mean they are looking for the best 4 teams as currently exist. The fact that FSU lost their QB means that they are not as good as they were which means they are not one of the top 4 teams in the country anymore.
I remember the selection committee for NCAA Division I Tournament did the a similar thing decades ago with Cincinnati.
Kenyon Martin was the best player that 1999-2000 season.
The Bearcats with him were the No.1 ranked team at the end of the regular season.
But Martin broke his leg in the first game of their conference tournament.
Instead of Cincinnati getting the overall No.1 seed, they were bumped down to the a No. 2 seed spot.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
Feels like a missed opportunity for Green Bay. Not scoring points will come back to bite them.

beacamdim

Reaction score
Yes they do and one of the preexisting criteria is to factor in how good each is at the moment based on their current roster. There is no requirement about being a power 5 champion and that giving you an advantage. The thing I listed is how they factored the strength of Florida State at the moment. They are down their QB so they viewed them as less than the champions of the other conferences.
Well, the current Alabama team's signature win was over a Georgia team that was not at full strength -- just seven days after barely and luckily beating a very mediocre Auburn team. The only Alabama thing about this version is the name. Same exact team, different name is sitting at home.

Adreme

Reaction score
Well, the current Alabama team's signature win was over a Georgia team that was not at full strength -- just seven days after barely and luckily beating a very mediocre Auburn team. The only Alabama thing about this version is the name. Same exact team, different name is sitting at home.
Except Florida State is not going to have their QB so they are not going to be at full strength whereas Alabama is at full strength. Therefore they looked at both teams and came to the conclusion that Alabama was better. They also likely came to the conclusion that the team Georgia fielded was better than anyone FST played all year.

beacamdim

Reaction score
Except Florida State is not going to have their QB so they are not going to be at full strength whereas Alabama is at full strength. Therefore they looked at both teams and came to the conclusion that Alabama was better. They also likely came to the conclusion that the team Georgia fielded was better than anyone FST played all year.
IMO (a) their evaluation was incorrect; and (b) the fact that they were engaged in that kind of evaluation at all renders meaningless the entire regular season.

And I stand by what I said, they would have made exactly the same decision even if Travis were fit as a fiddle -- because that is not the real reason they did what they did.

ESPN wants the SEC, so ESPN gets the SEC.

The rest is noise.

If there is any justice Michigan will wipe them off the field.

And btw, I am from the NY metro area where no one thinks college football is a real sport anyway. I certainly don't have any personal interest in FSU.

beacamdim

Reaction score
I remember the selection committee for NCAA Division I Tournament did the a similar thing decades ago with Cincinnati.
Kenyon Martin was the best player that 1999-2000 season.
The Bearcats with him were the No.1 ranked team at the end of the regular season.
But Martin broke his leg in the first game of their conference tournament.
Instead of Cincinnati getting the overall No.1 seed, they were bumped down to the a No. 2 seed spot.
BIG difference between lowering a seed by one line and leaving someone out altogether.

Adreme

Reaction score
IMO (a) their evaluation was incorrect; and (b) the fact that they were engaged in that kind of evaluation at all renders meaningless the entire regular season.

And I stand by what I said, they would have made exactly the same decision even if Travis were fit as a fiddle -- because that is not the real reason they did what they did.

ESPN wants the SEC, so ESPN gets the SEC.

The rest is noise.

If there is any justice Michigan will wipe them off the field.

And btw, I am from the NY metro area where no one thinks college football is a real sport anyway. I certainly don't have any personal interest in FSU.
Apparently I am not the only one who thinks that way because Georgia is already a 14 point favorite to beat Florida State, the team that Alabama just beat. The only way for FSU to show that the committee was wrong is to win that game but apparently Vegas very heavily thinks that will not happen.

If you look at who has the better wins, Alabama wins (Alabama has the exact same win as FSU's best plus Georgia and Mississippi). If you look at who is better right now, Alabama easily wins because again one team has their QB and one team does not. The only real argument for FSU over Alabama is that they beat up on weaker competition to win their conference and we should ignore that they will have their starting QB and would likely lose by double digits in the playoff.