Twitter: NFL to add 17th game next season

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I dont know why some of you watch football. The product is horrible, Im already ready for the season to end, its too long already, the players poor bodies cant handle it... blah, blah, blah.

Tell you what, just stop watching when it comes time for that extra game and go shopping with your wives. This way youll be happy.

vicjagger

Reaction score
Right now there is a proven rotation for a 16 game season. How will they determine who to play in that 17th game? Odd...

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
well if they would cut the season to 8 games, that would significantly lower the season.

I got no problem with 16 Games a season. I just think playing beyond that and including playoffs is just a bit too punishing on the human body. Besides that, if we had this type of team next year, one more game would add to the suffering ;) of having to watch.

Bluefin

Reaction score
How will they determine who to play in that 17th game? Odd...
Dallas will play the AFC West next season.

The 17th game opponent will be determined by an AFC opponent from their North, East or South who finishes with the same divisional rank as the Cowboys.

NFL owners didn't vote on going to 17 games at their virtual meeting Dec. 16, but did approve the scheduling procedure. Each team would play an extra interconference matchup -- AFC vs. NFC -- based on divisional standings from the preceding season and on a rotating divisional basis.

If an 18th game is added at some point down the line (would require amending CBA with NFLPA's approval, $$$), it could follow the same pattern with a NFC opponent from one of the three divisions not on that year's schedule.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas will play the AFC West next season.

The 17th game opponent will be determined by an AFC opponent from their North, East or South who finishes with the same divisional rank as the Cowboys.

If an 18th game is added at some point down the line (would require amending CBA with NFLPA's approval, $$$), it could follow the same pattern with a NFC opponent from one of the three divisions not on that year's schedule.

So basically you don't know.

conner01

Reaction score
In turn, the preseason would be cut to either two or three games. There still would be one bye week per club, extending the total regular season to 18 weeks and pushing back the Super Bowl into the second week of February.

I can't tell you how much I hate this. Worst. Commissioner. Ever.
Pre season is much more important than fans and the league think

conner01

Reaction score
Yep.

Going to 17 games also would open up inventory for possible new neutral-site and international games. The NFL already has been playing games regularly in the U.K. and Mexico, and has been eyeing possible games in Canada, China, Japan, Germany and Brazil.
Money decision

Vanilla2

Reaction score
BRAVO! congrats to ownership and specifically the joneses. All dreams are possible. Can’t wait to see another season of financial strength with a nice chaser of on field soft.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Well, one thing I like is that there will either be winning or losing seasons, but no more 8-8.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
When will they just make the ball round already?!

Changes are great, but the league is just constantly too conservative, and it’s ruining the game...

Change it up once in a while, JEEZ!!!

Thomas82

Reaction score

So were looking at 14-3, maybe 15-2 next year with Zeke setting the single season rushing record.

I'm all for Zeke breaking the single season rushing record next year. That would make for an amazing bounceback season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
we knew it was coming not sure why this was a surprise..
Right

It was expected in the coming years. My hunch is they turned the clock up in time for the network contracts and collective bargaining agreement so they could negotiate a bigger deal or at least not lose any ground due to the effects of the Pandemic this season.