News: NFL to make schedule more fair

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I remember a few year ago, Philadelphia had one game outside of the Eastern time zone (Dallas). We set a record for fewest miles flown in the 32 team era. Always thought that was hilarious nobody noticed.

Edit: here it is

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2015.htm

Our furtherest away teams were the Cardinals, Saints, Bucs, Dolphins... got them all as home games. Basically played everyone north of Atlanta and east of Detroit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Divisions and conferences are fine. What they need to do is get rid of the Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night games. Once everyone plays the same damn day the problems will be fixed.
Isn’t everyone tired of playing NY,Phil and Wash every year twice ? They suk and horrible venues to attend a game.

I wanna travel to some of the cool road venues they’ve built. Where the elements aren’t a factor. I’m too old to deal with weather anymore.

Last edited:

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Isn’t everyone tired of playing NY,Phil and Wash every year twice ? They suk and horrible venues to attend a game.

I wanna travel to some of the cool road venues they’ve built. Where the elements aren’t a factor. I’m too old to deal with weather anymore.

Yeah sweeping the Birds last year sucked! So boring!

Hell no would I ever want that to change.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IDK. I’m pretty tired of playing the same teams twice every year. I’d be for playing everyone in NFC and 1 team in AFC for 16 games. Then take the top 6 records into the playoffs.

I am not normally one to change tradition just for change.
But I do think the division format now, as 4 divisions in each conference is too much. Go back to 3 divisions.
Then the 3 division winners, then the next 3 best records. Therefore a team that actually has a better record than a 8-8 division winner of a 4th division can get in the playoffs.

So the 3 divisions will eliminate that.
Yes, some division will have 6 teams. But this can allow expansion of 2 NFC and 2 AFC teams. Even though it waters down the product even more.

Maybe your idea would work, may be not, or heck, go 2 divisions, top teams in each division, then the next best 2 as WC. As it can still eliminate the 8-8 teams unless every team sucks. LOL.

I do like the play of AFC vs. NFC though of 4 games. So still rotate that, but play 1 game against 12 NFC teams, eliminate the twice against each other. Then the rotation comes around more often of seeing different teams, plus keeps the once in 4 years of seeing AFC teams.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Just send the captains out to midfield for the coin flip. Whoever wins the coin flip wins the game. That is fair.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am not normally one to change tradition just for change.
But I do think the division format now, as 4 divisions in each conference is too much. Go back to 3 divisions.
Then the 3 division winners, then the next 3 best records. Therefore a team that actually has a better record than a 8-8 division winner of a 4th division can get in the playoffs.

So the 3 divisions will eliminate that.
Yes, some division will have 6 teams. But this can allow expansion of 2 NFC and 2 AFC teams. Even though it waters down the product even more.

Maybe your idea would work, may be not, or heck, go 2 divisions, top teams in each division, then the next best 2 as WC. As it can still eliminate the 8-8 teams unless every team sucks. LOL.

I do like the play of AFC vs. NFC though of 4 games. So still rotate that, but play 1 game against 12 NFC teams, eliminate the twice against each other. Then the rotation comes around more often of seeing different teams, plus keeps the once in 4 years of seeing AFC teams.
Not bad. I’m for anything different pretty much.

Remember we initially only had two divisions. East and West.

I agree , leaving better record teams out is a joke

TX_Yid

Reaction score
What are they going to do to make sure Goodell's arbitrary punishments are fair? Or the amount of Offensive Line holding penalties called are fair?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Sick and tired about hearing how the game isn't "fair" enough. Overtime isn't "fair", schedules aren't "fair", opponents aren't "fair". Pretty soon each team will get half a win for a loss.
well since life isn't fair and football is a subset of life, it stands to reason it won't be fair either.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
It's interesting to me that the combination of 32 NFL teams would equal 10 to the 300th and "there are too many possibilities for any computer you would have. It would never solve.". It doesn't seem like it would be that much.

Swanny

Reaction score
I remember a few year ago, Philadelphia had one game outside of the Eastern time zone (Dallas). We set a record for fewest miles flown in the 32 team era. Always thought that was hilarious nobody noticed.

Edit: here it is

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2015.htm

Our furtherest away teams were the Cardinals, Saints, Bucs, Dolphins... got them all as home games. Basically played everyone north of Atlanta and east of Detroit.
The Packers still get to play the Lions, Vikings and Bears 2 times every year. No way to make the schedule fair with divisions

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The Packers still get to play the Lions, Vikings and Bears 2 times every year. No way to make the schedule fair with divisions

Actually since the 2002 divisional shift, everyone is in a pretty fair position. Jerry Jones deliberately asked for longer flight times, which explains your position. Only other issues are maybe Seattle and Denver, just because the states around them aren’t good enough to have teams.

Silly

Reaction score
I wonder if the stat guys looked into the pats schedule and compared it to other teams? My guess would be the Pats got a softer schedule than their other divisional teams

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Sorry. It was Massachusetts not Wisconsin. There was a guy in Wis or Mich who also figured out this particular lottery in Massachusetts. Saw it on 60 minutes.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/07...mmed-the-massachusetts-lottery-for-8-million/
they had to spend $100,000 in one drawing to win the money, that is still a big gamble and most ordinary folks dont have
anywhere near that to even try it. and they were just looking to collect on the small payouts, not the winner.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I wonder if the stat guys looked into the pats schedule and compared it to other teams? My guess would be the Pats got a softer schedule than their other divisional teams
no teams get soft schedules , who they play is done very fairly, the only problem is when and where, like a team playing sunday night
and then having to play on a thursday. also how the road and home games are set up.

Pats play 6 div games just like we do. This year we will see just how "soft" that div is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
they had to spend $100,000 in one drawing to win the money, that is still a big gamble and most ordinary folks dont have
anywhere near that to even try it. and they were just looking to collect on the small payouts, not the winner.
It actually wasn’t a gamble.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score

No. Those are our fiercest rivals, without rivals where would this game be.