News: NFL to make schedule more fair

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This is all well and good, until ratings and dollars get involved. That's how the schedule is constructed, and no amount of science will ever trump that.

Yup...opening w/ New England...followed by a week 3 clash w/ the Saints in the Super dome on Sunday night. That's the whisper I'm hearing....all fair right?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Sooooo, by fair, does that mean there won't be anymore Sunday night games in NY, then play the Thanksgiving game the following Thursday.

They would arrive back in Dallas shortly before daylight on Monday, get some rest then get in a couple of days practice before the game.......very unfair scheduling there.

Dallas' Thanksgiving opponent travels on a short week every year, and with weekly Thursday night games almost every team will do so at some point. In terms of getting shafted on the schedule, a home game on a short week seems pretty low on the list. Even if you have to travel far, your opponent will also have to travel to you. Sometimes, your opponent plays an away game before traveling to an away game on a short week.

RoboQB

Reaction score
no teams get soft schedules , who they play is done very fairly, the only problem is when and where, like a team playing sunday night
and then having to play on a thursday. also how the road and home games are set up.

Pats play 6 div games just like we do. This year we will see just how "soft" that div is.

NE will go 5-1 in the division, just like they always do.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Can't make the schedule "fair," without abolishing divisions and conferences and who wants that?
:omg:

The resoundingly reverberatory reflections rebounding around yer' well rounded review of reasoned response is rapidly repudiated & requires restricted clearance fer' ones rationale of reasoned existence for repeatedly reading ,,,henceforth,the redaction of all remembrances of any/all of yer' ruminations have been requested removed from further reviewso_O

:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
"I've worked on very difficult problems that take more than 12 hours on the supercomputer to solve. And this is by far the hardest any of us have ever seen."

NFC East vs. NFC East
Dec-Jan divisional games since 2014

Cowboys: home 2, road 8
Giants: home 8, road 3

DandyDon52

Reaction score
NE will go 5-1 in the division, just like they always do.
maybe, but I meant dallas and other teams in our division have to play the teams in that "soft" division lol
so lets see how that turns out.
will the nfc east win more of those games, or the afc east will win more of them??

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
This is all well and good, until ratings and dollars get involved. That's how the schedule is constructed, and no amount of science will ever beat that.
Someone didn't read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It literally says one of the constraints (and actually from an empirical perspective is a good thing because it limits the universe of possible choices).... Is that it optimizes around set tentpole match ups and times given to it by the league and broadcast partners.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It literally says one of the constraints (and actually from an empirical perspective is a good thing because it limits the universe of possible choices).... Is that it optimizes around set tentpole match ups and times given to it by the league and broadcast partners.
I know. So the science doesn't matter.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Divisions and conferences are fine. What they need to do is get rid of the Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night games. Once everyone plays the same damn day the problems will be fixed.
I agree except for Monday night. It's a tradition from long ago.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Divisions and conferences are fine. What they need to do is get rid of the Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night games. Once everyone plays the same damn day the problems will be fixed.
I agree except for Monday night. It's a tradition from long ago.
Detroit and Dallas hosting Thanksgiving games are also tradition, preceding even Monday Night Football. I say get rid of all Thursday games except those two.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
They will still find a way to screw Dallas.

In between the victim mentality of the NFL being out to screw their biggest money-making franchise rant, did you ever read the article to find this tidbit?

"...hometown Buffalo Bills complaining about how often they faced teams who were coming off either a bye or a Thursday night game, which gives their opponents a rest advantage. As it turned out, between 2002 and 2014, the Bills had twice as many of those games as some other teams."​

So why does Goodell, Mara and Snyder hate the Buffalo Bills?