NFL Top 10 Offenses, what makes them good

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schoonmaker is poised to be one of the bigger steals of the 2023 NFL Draft, given the likelihood that his injury history -- and not a lack of talent -- is what pushed him into the second round, despite his college film suggesting he should have been a first-round pick.
Let that sink in. Cowboys won't miss Schultz.

Hadenough

Reaction score
When your judging a top offense I look at how well it performs against the better teams and in big games. You also have to take into account how well they run the ball when defenses know they are going to run it and how well they pass the ball when defenses know they are passing. Too many people place too much value in a team running the score up on a weak opponent. Which really only elevates your PPG. It's not the true story of the offense.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Let that sink in. Cowboys won't miss Schultz.
I'm happy to have him and am excited to see how he looks once the pads come on, but I kind of thought it was a ridiculous comment about Shoonmaker's film being that of a 1st rounder. Who ever spoke of Shoonmaker being a first round talent? I never once heard that and don't see it in the clips and games I watched. Again, happy to have him, so not trashing him, but sure seems like a re-evaluation done after we picked him in the second which wasn't even expected

GINeric

Reaction score
When your judging a top offense I look at how well it performs against the better teams and in big games. You also have to take into account how well they run the ball when defenses know they are going to run it and how well they pass the ball when defenses know they are passing. Too many people place too much value in a team running the score up on a weak opponent. Which really only elevates your PPG. It's not the true story of the offense.

You also have to look at who's the offensive coordinator calling plays in a chess match vs the better teams. We haven't had a smart offensive coordinator with a high football IQ to design quality, creative plays to maximize the talents of our best players and to make the correct in-game adjustments according to the flow of the game since Dak and Zeke were drafted.

I can't wait to see what our offense looks like with an intelligent offensive coordinator.

Jarntt

Reaction score
And what did you look for?
elite talent? A first rounder stands out. He really didn't. Nice player though. Seriously, if he wasn't drafted by the Cowboys not one person on here would view him as a first rounder. Drafting TE early was a constant discussion on here. How often did his name come up before the draft on here? Even the early projections from many of the so called "experts" have him behind Ferguson or neck and neck for the starting job. That doesn't happen with a legit 1st rounder.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
elite talent? A first rounder stands out. He really didn't. Nice player though. Seriously, if he wasn't drafted by the Cowboys not one person on here would view him as a first rounder. Drafting TE early was a constant discussion on here. How often did his name come up before the draft on here? Even the early projections from many of the so called "experts" have him behind Ferguson or neck and neck for the starting job. That doesn't happen with a legit 1st rounder.

He looks like a good player but I just can’t get past how a stiff wind takes him down.

Dude can block and is a athlete though for sure.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You mean like shoot-in projected first-rounder Michael Mayer?

don't see it in the clips and games I watched

Jarntt

Reaction score
You mean like shoot-in projected first-rounder Michael Mayer?

don't see it in the clips and games I watched
What does Mayer have to do with this? But since you brought him up he went with the 35th pick overall. You think if both were on the board when we picked we would have taken Schoonmaker?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Typically a top offense isn’t going to run up the score on a top defense. Mahomes has never really lit us up. Those offenses we faced up there from Hurts to Burrow did nothing.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He looks like a good player but I just can’t get past how a stiff wind takes him down.

Dude can block and is a athlete though for sure.
He's much better than some are giving him credit, especially for THIS offense. As McClay pointed out, he comes from a conference where running the football is everything. This IMO puts him on a fast track to reading defensive schemes, knowing the multitude of blocking assignments ( quite a few per Witten and Jason Garrett ) routes for the position. Issues about his catching or receiving skills don't bother me. No way in hell he would have gotten this far if he can't catch a football.

Remember Shultz was drafted for his blocking skills........he turned out pretty good.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's much better than some are giving him credit, especially for THIS offense. As McClay pointed out, he comes from a conference where running the football is everything. This IMO puts him on a fast track to reading defensive schemes, knowing the multitude of blocking assignments ( quite a few per Witten and Jason Garrett ) routes for the position. Issues about his catching or receiving skills don't bother me. No way in hell he would have gotten this far if he can't catch a football.

Remember Shultz was drafted for his blocking skills........he turned out pretty good.
TE is the least of my worries with this team.

Even if Schoonmaker is terrible we have quality TEs behind him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What does Mayer have to do with this? But since you brought him up he went with the 35th pick overall. You think if both were on the board when we picked we would have taken Schoonmaker?
Yes!

MM
Schoonmaker played in a pro-style scheme at Michigan that helps get tight ends ready for the NFL — McCarthy said “there won’t be a whole lot that he hasn’t done” that Dallas will ask him to do.

The 6-foot-5 Schoonmaker posted career highs in 2022 for the Wolverines with 35 receptions for 418 yards and three touchdowns. McCarthy really likes how “well-rounded” Schoonmaker is at the position.

“We like everything about his physical traits, but his ability to play the Y position and off-the-ball; his vertical presence, we think we can really build off of that,” McCarthy noted. “As a play-caller and a game plan designer, these tight ends allow you to get in different personnel groups and get creative to be able to attack in a one-back, two-back, no-back offense.”

Will McClay
“The fact that he played at Michigan,” McClay said. “The No. 1 thing at Michigan is they’re going to run the football. If you’re a tight end with a team that’s going to run the football, and you’re a point-of-attack guy, then you know the requirements and how to physically make the conscious decision to put your body on somebody else and block them. It’s a lost art in this day and age with people playing with all these space players, the undersized tight end and doing those things. Well, in the NFL, we’re looking for a guy that can do some (Y tight end) responsibilities. We know that he can do that because it’s on tape.

quickccc

Reaction score
Good NFL offenses attack all areas of the field, or there is gonna be something about a specific one that creates mismatches , or has an element that makes it very difficult for defenses to counter or adjust

- Ravens do not have a potent passing attack. they seem ot have Mark Andrews and name another bona fide receiving threat they have ?
But Lamar's open field running skills and speed constantly creates so many broken field problems for a defense when they are trying to cover , he's hard to spy.
and you never get a grip of him running or buying time to pass
And his throwing skills seems to be a tad better than the likes of Mike Vick, Justin Field. and keep in mind that for years Lamar has not had that bona fide lead WR (t's a wait and see on ACL recovering OJB)

- we know Mahomes and Reid,..
- Shanahan creates a unique misdirection game and his system is so skill position friendly, ala Debo at RB
- Kellen emphasizes pushing the ball and pre-snap.
- Rams McVey's pre-snap motion offense is impeccable...
- Cincy it's Burrows and it's WRs, despite a poor pass blocking OL....
- If Bills had a true RB threat ... but it's Josh and his WRs
- Eagles had a great OC (that departed for a new HC gig) that corrected Hurts mightily and they gave him WR weapons - something Ravens have yet to do for Lamar

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
so you agree that the fact Mahomes and company put up 38 on the Eagles and Dak and company put up 40 on them proves we belong as a top offense? the forklift is charged and the goalposts are padded for thier move.....

GMO415

Reaction score
Defense wins championships. Interesting to see what that list looks like.

JayFord

Reaction score
Dallas Barring injury has always had great/elite offenses since about 2007

I think this year will be the same....if they make a sb and play KC can they hang with KC? thats not the question the question would be like for any team can your defense contain Patrick Mahomes because being up 3 scores against KC is the equivalent of a one score game