[NFLN] Top 10 cowboys of all time

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
CooterBrown;3460562 said:
My own top ten (since I've been around long enough to have the perspective of time)((no mercenaries allowed on my list)):
1. Staubach- best QB and leader ever
2. Lily- best DT ever
3. Randy White-2nd best DT ever
4. Tony Dorsett- game breaker, difference maker
5. Emmitt Smith- heart and soul with vision, toughness, and determination
6. Mel Renfro- CB, Safety, kick and punt returner, STAR
7. Troy Aikman- Competitor, ice water, precision
8. Michael Irvin- Work and lead, play with passion, inspire others
9. Cliff Harris- Best free safety ever
10. Darren Woodson- Best strong safety ever

Honorable mention:
Larry Allen
Chuck Howley
Drew Pearson
Rayfield Wright
Jay Novacek
Lee Roy Jordan
Bob Hayes
Don Meredith
Don Perkins
Harvey Martin
Ed "too tall" Jones
Erik Williams
Jethro Pugh
Danny White
Charlie Waters
Moose Johnston

Over Witten? Witten already has better stats than Jay.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3460730 said:
Lilly? It depends, Emmitt and Roger compete for #1 if you remove Landry from contention, then 3 and 4 between Troy and Michael IMO, and 5 Lilly.

Troy and Michael were great, but I take Mr Cowboy over them every time. Of the Triplets, the only one I might take over Lilly would be Emmitt.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Good list. You'd have to have watched the Cowboys other than the last 10 to 15 years to understand why most of those guys make the list.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;3460252 said:
Just bump everyone up one spot because of Landry. Technically speaking, coaching the Cowboys didn't make him a Cowboy. He was management.

TOM LANDRY "IS" the Cowboys....without him.....we would not be AMERICA's Team.....

I have no problems with him being #1. My only problem was that Emmitt should have been higher. At least #3 if not #2.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Although I didn't say it, I left all the current players off my list. "The test of time" theory.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I can't really argue the players that they had on the list though I would rearrange the order some. There are others that I also would not argue with being on the list either because there have been so many great one in Dallas. But My list would look something like this (Coaches and current players excluded):

1. Roger Staubach
2. Troy Aikman
3. Emmitt Smith
4. Tony Dorsett
5. Randy White
6. Bob Lily
7. Drew Pearson
8. Michael Irvin
9. Bob Hayes
10. Chuck Howley, Mel Renfro, Cliff Harris, Darren Woodson (pick one, I can't)

Honorable mention:

Don Meredith
Rayfield Wright
Larry Allen
Lee Roy Jordan
Harvey Martin
Charlie Waters
Jay Novacek
Jethro Pugh
Don Perkins
Ed "too tall" Jones

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
JackMagist;3461283 said:
I can't really argue the players that they had on the list though I would rearrange the order some. There are others that I also would not argue with being on the list either because there have been so many great one in Dallas. But My list would look something like this (Coaches and current players excluded):

1. Roger Staubach
2. Troy Aikman
3. Emmitt Smith
4. Tony Dorsett
5. Randy White
6. Bob Lily
7. Drew Pearson
8. Michael Irvin
9. Bob Hayes
10. Chuck Howley, Mel Renfro, Cliff Harris, Darren Woodson (pick one, I can't)

Honorable mention:

Don Meredith
Rayfield Wright
Larry Allen
Lee Roy Jordan
Harvey Martin
Charlie Waters
Jay Novacek
Jethro Pugh
Don Perkins
Ed "too tall" Jones
Pearson & Hayes over the best O-linemen of all time? Come on, Allen is top 7. He is literally the best out of 5 diff positions on the line. Really he should be top 3.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3460134 said:

It does?

There are guys missing, IMO, but it hardly sucks.

Romo 2 Austin;3460235 said:
No

1 is Landry
2 is Emmitt
3 is Roger
4 is Troy
5 is Michael

Austin ain't no where near the top 10.

No love for Bob Lilly? They didn't call him Mr. Cowboy for nothing.

There is no such thing as a correct top 5 without Mr. Cowboy in it.

And Emmitt is my all-time favorite player (mostly because he's the best I ever saw play live, at least IMO) but had I been around to watch Roger live, instead of in classics and highlights (where you already know all the outcomes of course) he'd probably be my all time favorite.

The guy was what made the Dallas Cowboys great. Without Captain Comeback then there would be no list to even consider. He's easily #1 as far as players go.

nyc;3460736 said:
Troy and Michael were great, but I take Mr Cowboy over them every time. Of the Triplets, the only one I might take over Lilly would be Emmitt.

I still wouldn't take any of them over Mr. Cowboy. Emmitt is my all-time favorite Cowboy but even I would still tip my hat to Lilly.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3461362 said:
It does?

There are guys missing, IMO, but it hardly sucks.

No love for Bob Lilly? They didn't call him Mr. Cowboy for nothing.

There is no such thing as a correct top 5 without Mr. Cowboy in it.

And Emmitt is my all-time favorite player (mostly because he's the best I ever saw play live, at least IMO) but had I been around to watch Roger live, instead of in classics and highlights (where you already know all the outcomes of course) he'd probably be my all time favorite.

The guy was what made the Dallas Cowboys great. Without Captain Comeback then there would be no list to even consider. He's easily #1 as far as players go.

I still wouldn't take any of them over Mr. Cowboy. Emmitt is my all-time favorite Cowboy but even I would still tip my hat to Lilly.

Staubach is usually considered a top 3/5 QB. We have many players who are considered the GOAT at their position, Emmitt comes first IMO, then you've got Staubach/White/Aikman/Allen/Lilly, and you mix and match them. Then you've got Dorsett/Irvin/Woodson/Harris to mix and match into it.

Thats 10, although after this gen of players both Witten and Ware will get onto that list.

Example:
1.Emmitt
2.Roger
3. Bob Lilly
4. Troy Aikman
5. Larry Allen
6. Randy White
7. Tony Dorsett
8. Michael Irvn
9.Darren Woodson
10. Cliff Harris

for me the GOAT RB> A top 3/5 QB.

Now i'm biased and usually put the triplets higher, but the above list is a much more accurate way of doing it, more than likely if I was put no the spot i'd put Larry Allen at 3 and Lilly at 4 w/Aikman at 5 though.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3461364 said:
Staubach is usually considered a top 3/5 QB. We have many players who are considered the GOAT at their position, Emmitt comes first IMO, then you've got Staubach/White/Aikman/Allen/Lilly, and you mix and match them. Then you've got Dorsett/Irvin/Woodson/Harris to mix and match into it.

Thats 10, although after this gen of players both Witten and Ware will get onto that list.

Example:
1.Emmitt
2.Roger
3. Bob Lilly
4. Troy Aikman
5. Larry Allen
6. Randy White
7. Tony Dorsett
8. Michael Irvn
9.Darren Woodson
10. Cliff Harris

for me the GOAT RB> A top 3/5 QB.

Now i'm biased and usually put the triplets higher, but the above list is a much more accurate way of doing it, more than likely if I was put no the spot i'd put Larry Allen at 3 and Lilly at 4 w/Aikman at 5 though.

To each their own. No one has to sell me on the greatness of Emmitt Smith. The guy is my all-time favorite for a reason.

But one of the best QBs of all time will always trump one of the best, even the best, RB of all time.

There are things Roger did, and could do, for those Cowboys teams in comebacks and leadership that Emmitt simply couldn't have done, and that's not a slight on his abilities but simply a factor on the difference in importance of the positions.

But I won't fault anyone for having Emmitt #1. He was amazing and I loved every minute of his career. I watched every single down he ever played as a Cowboy.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo 2 Austin;3460730 said:
Lilly? It depends, Emmitt and Roger compete for #1 if you remove Landry from contention, then 3 and 4 between Troy and Michael IMO, and 5 Lilly.

What did you like best about Lilly's game?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
:banghead: at Mr. Cowboy being left off of some lists and then when he is mentioned, his name is misspelled half the time.

Isn't this a Cowboys' message board?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Sarge;3461414 said:
What did you like best about Lilly's game?

I'm not going to say I somehow I attained tapes from the 70s watching him play, my knowledge is second hand. If you can or someone can point me in the direction to get tapes/dvds/files of those games, i'll go get them.

I know Lilly is commonly regarded as the GOAT DT, that comes after the GOAT linemen, top 3 QB OAT, and GOAT RB. Thats my positional value.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo 2 Austin;3461444 said:
I know Lilly is commonly regarded as the GOAT DT, that comes after the GOAT linemen, top 3 QB OAT, and GOAT RB. Thats my positional value.
That's good to know.

:rolleyes:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3461336 said:
Pearson & Hayes over the best O-linemen of all time? Come on, Allen is top 7. He is literally the best out of 5 diff positions on the line. Really he should be top 3.
Dude...you didn't even put Allen top 5 in your own list :confused:

BTW it was 4 positions...Allen didn't play center but he did play all 4 of the others.

Romo 2 Austin;3460235 said:
No

1 is Landry
2 is Emmitt
3 is Roger
4 is Troy
5 is Michael

Austin ain't no where near the top 10.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
JackMagist;3461487 said:
Dude...you didn't even put Allen top 5 in your own list :confused:

BTW it was 4 positions...Allen didn't play center but he did play all 4 of the others.

Triplets are my 3 fav. players of all time, when asked to make a list I put them in there. If I did it for accuracy, it looks more like the list I posted.

Example:
1.Emmitt
2.Roger
3. Bob Lilly
4. Troy Aikman
5. Larry Allen
6. Randy White
7. Tony Dorsett
8. Michael Irvn
9.Darren Woodson
10. Cliff Harris

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo 2 Austin;3461523 said:
Triplets are my 3 fav. players of all time
I thought this was a Top 10 Cowboys of all time thread not a list of your favorites. :confused: