3. B. Lilly
4. L. Allen
5. T. Aikman
6. R. White
7. M. Irvin
8. T. Dorsett
9. B. Hayes
10. D. Woodson
Those are all great Cowboys no doubt. But personally, I can't see a list of top 10 Cowboys without Drew Pearson on it somewhere.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo 2 Austin;3461444 said:
I'm not going to say I somehow I attained tapes from the 70s watching him play, my knowledge is second hand. If you can or someone can point me in the direction to get tapes/dvds/files of those games, i'll go get them.

I know Lilly is commonly regarded as the GOAT DT, that comes after the GOAT linemen, top 3 QB OAT, and GOAT RB. Thats my positional value.

With all due respect, when you have not even seen but more than a couple of downs for the following players: Bob Hayes, Randy White, Bob Lilly, M. Renfro, C. Harris, C. Howley, R. Wright, H. Martin, D Pearson etc., it's hard to look at your list and take it seriously.

You simply haven't been around long enough to see most of these guys play. Doesn't make you any less of a fan, just a question of whether your qualified to answer the question legitimately.

Carry on.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Landry
Lilly
Emmitt
Staubach
R. Wright
Aikman
B. Hayes
C. Harris
M. Renfro
M. Irvin
L. Allen
D. Pearson
C. Howley

That's my top 10 today.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Harvey Martin also needs a serious shout out as well. He still holds some pass rushing records and I consider him to be one of the best pure pass rushers of all time. He had 8 sacks as a rookie (team record), he had 23 sacks in 1977, I counted them (team record) and he had 114 sacks in his 10 year career (still a team record).

One of my all time favorite Cowboys.

"Too Mean."

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Sarge;3461633 said:
With all due respect, when you have not even seen but more than a couple of downs for the following players: Bob Hayes, Randy White, Bob Lilly, M. Renfro, C. Harris, C. Howley, R. Wright, H. Martin, D Pearson etc., it's hard to look at your list and take it seriously.

You simply haven't been around long enough to see most of these guys play. Doesn't make you any less of a fan, just a question of whether your qualified to answer the question legitimately.

Carry on.

Obviously I don't have as much experience with these players as most of you do, so im not as qualified as some of you.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sarge;3461637 said:
Landry
Lilly
Emmitt
Staubach
R. Wright
Aikman
B. Hayes
C. Harris
M. Renfro
M. Irvin
L. Allen
D. Pearson
C. Howley

That's my top 10 today.
Hey I see what you did there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3460134 said:

The old timers can rip me all they want but Meredith has no business being on that list. He only made the list because he became an icon on Monday Night Football and that's a fact. Meredith wasn't even close to being a HOF player and Bob Hays who was a hall of famer and was the reason the zone defense was created didn't even make the list. :rolleyes: Drew Pearson should be higher on the list and no way should Michael Irvin be listed ahead of Emmitt and Aikman. The NFL Network has compiled some of the most ridiculous lists and rankings.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KJJ;3461687 said:
The old timers can rip me all they want but Meredith has no business being on that list. He only made the list because he became an icon on Monday Night Football and that's a fact.
Don't forget he did sing for us every Monday night.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo 2 Austin;3461683 said:
Obviously I don't have as much experience with these players as most of you do, so im not as qualified as some of you.

That's cause we're old farts.

:(

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3461689 said:
Don't forget he did sing for us every Monday night.

Meredith was a personality that's for sure but to put him on an all time greatest Cowboys list is silly.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Bob Lilly
3. Roger Staubach
4. Randy White
5. Tony Dorsett
6. Larry Allen
7. Michael Irvin
8. Mel Renfro
9. Troy Aikman
10. Demarcus Ware (premature? yes. but he will make this list by the time he's done, so I'm adding him in the last spot.)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
1. Roger Staubach He's clearly the reason the Cowboys became America's Team. Before Roger became the QB it was one heartbreak after another for the Cowboys. He only played 10 years but no Cowboys player left such an indelible impression on the franchise.

2. Emmitt Smith He meant as much to the success of the 90's Cowboys as Staubach meant to the success of our 70's teams. Not many players could suck the will out of an opponent the way Emmitt could.

3. Troy Aikman Led the Cowboys from one of the worst teams in history to one of the best in only 4 years. His career stats may not impress anyone but he was one of the most accurate passers ever and he got it done in the games that mattered most.

4. Michael Irvin Was the emotional leader of our great 90's teams.

5. Drew Pearson One of the greatest clutch receivers of all time. Was a key figure in two of the most historic plays in NFL history. He was on the receiving end of the Hail Mary and made the key block that helped free Tony Dorsett on his record breaking 99 yard run. Pearson was a tear away jersey away from changing the course of history in the 81 NFC Title game.

6. Randy White He brought a nastiness to the Cowboys defense like no other player in team history. He wasn't called "manster" for nothing.

7. Tony Dorsett Had great speed and could cut on a dime.

8. Bob Lilly One of the great players of the 60's and early 70's. Can't rank him ahead of Randy White because he wasn't nasty enough.

9. Larry Allen One of the strongest, most dominating offensive linemen in NFL history. Only Brett Favre made John Madden drool more than Allen's road grading ability and butt sweat.

10. Tom Landry Most will strongly disagree where I have Landry ranked but a coach is a product of their players. Belichick was just another coach in Cleveland and in NE until Tom Brady became his QB. Lombardi only managed 7 wins with an average Washington team. Jimmy Johnson could only muster one win with the bad news bears he was left with in 89. Coaches don't block, make tackles or score points and if they don't have talented players especially a great QB nothing they say or do will help them win games. It's the "great" players who make coaches successful and it's the bad ones primarily QB's who eventually get them fired. Landry couldn't win a big game until Roger Staubach became his QB and he couldn't win a big game after Staubach retired. Landry was a great teacher but it takes great students with "talent" to win championships.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yeah but look how close we came to winning big games. So saying its Landry's failure is BS.