NFLPA looking into Cowboys' direct dealing with players

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone who gets it.

"Gets it" as in says what you want to hear. It's clear that when anyone claims the Cowboys might be doing something they shouldn't, you're triggered and take it personally.

superonyx

Reaction score
"Gets it" as in says what you want to hear. It's clear that when anyone claims the Cowboys might be doing something they shouldn't, you're triggered and take it personally.
You had your chance to back up your big mouth. You came up looking small.

Go ahead and show us or point to the section in the CBA where it says this.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You had your chance to back up your big mouth. You came up looking small.

Go ahead and show us or point to the section in the CBA where it says this.

Why does this have to be a personal attack with you?

Why do I suddenly have a "big mouth"?

What are you so clearly triggered by this conversation?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't agree with your take on this.
Its similar to a person the police are questioning asking for an attorney. Hiring an attorney or agent does not remove your rights to speak on your own behalf.
I can't see anyone giving absolute power to another to the point they can't even speak on their own behalf.

I'm sure the player has a contract with the agent and the agent will review and weigh in on any contracts the team presents but I am not sold this means a player and a team are no longer allow to speak about salary. Agents may advise a player not to but this doesnt mean a player can't choose to anyway.

It's up to the player who represents and speaks on their behalf.
Unless the CBA says a team is forbidden to speak to a player represented by an agent then I dont see the problem. I'm sure Jerry knows the rules.

Yes, there is no law against direct discussion between 2 entities in business negotiations without lawyers present.

It would have to be in the CBA.

It's the player's choice if they speak to team representatives.

If it has happened 3 or more times in the past as claimed in tweets/articles but there were no repercussions to the team, then I doubt if there is much in the CBA to prevent it from happening.

The fact that agents do not want teams to speak directly to players points to the agents hiding something from the players. It is in the best interest of the players to hear directly from the team. More information is better than less information.

Max money really is not always in the player's best interest but is always in the agent's best interest. Zeke going to Houston to play behind that OLine because they would pay him 1M more per year would not be in his best interest.

Agents don't really work for the players anymore than a real estate agent works for a buyer. The real estate buyer-agent also does not work for a specific seller but that agent is just working to "sell" a house to their client. The real estate agent will steer the buyer towards the max they can afford even if it's not in their best interest.

If a team somehow used playing time or that type of thing to "force" a player to speak to them directly then that would be a problem; however, that can't really happen in the off-season.

Criminal issues are completely different. One entity is the government. Once the person has requested a lawyer then the government (police) can't interrogate them without the lawyer and the law is designed to prevent the police from badgering the person even after they have requested a lawyer.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
This is a stupid story. It's not like the NFLPA has any authority over teams or much real power anyway. There's a reason the players get hammered in every CBA.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the link. He says it's a violation. But the CBA doesn't.
I can't take your advice to take it up with him unless he is here. So I'm taking it up with you.

I'm open to be proven wrong as I've said.

Do you need another link or is that one now sufficient?

superonyx

Reaction score
Why does this have to be a personal attack with you?

Why do I suddenly have a "big mouth"?

What are you so clearly triggered by this conversation?
Relax. I'm having fun with you. I guess I enjoy watching the most consistent arguer on the board squirm.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a stupid story. It's not like the NFLPA has any authority over teams or much real power anyway. There's a reason the players get hammered in every CBA.

Is it? Or is it a "stupid story" because it paints the Joneses and Cowboys in an unfavorable light?

Regardless, it subjects the Jones family and the team to potential scrutiny over their business practices, no matter what "real power" you may feel the NFLPA does or doesn't have.

I think the bigger picture here is that the story has come to light, likely initiated by Elliott's agent, and I think that was a mistake and will negatively impact negotiations in a big way.

No owner likes to be "called out", especially Jerry Jones.

"You mess with the bull..."

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

You can't do an end run around the agent any more than you can do an end run around the union itself. The agent is an extension of the union, pursuant to the CBA and NLRB.

The authority and duty to promulgate these Regulations are also contained in the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the NFL and the NFLPA, which states as follows: [T]he National Football League Players Association is recognized as the sole and exclusive bargaining representative of present and future employee players in the NFL in a bargaining unit described as follows:

Article 48, Section 1, of the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement as amended further provides, among other things, that: The NFL and the Clubs recognize that, pursuant to federal labor law, the NFLPA will regulate the conduct of agents who represent players in individual contract negotiations with Clubs. On or after the date on which the NFLPA notifies the NFL that an agent regulation system is in effect and provides the NFL with a list of the NFLPA-certified agents, Clubs are prohibited from engaging in individual contract negotiations with any agent who is not listed by the NFLPA as being duly certified by the NFLPA in accordance with its role as exclusive bargaining agent for NFL players.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/RegulationsAmendedAugust2016.pdf

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Relax. I'm having fun with you. I guess I enjoy watching the most consistent arguer on the board squirm.

So now it's supposed to be "fun"? Sorry, I don't view personal attacks as "fun".

HungryLion

Reaction score
Not where there is such huge money involved, no. From an agent's perspective, they would be looking at the potential loss of millions of dollars in their commission. Player uses an agent for the majority of a negotiation and outlines the contract parameters and then fires the agent and signs the deal 5 days later "representing themselves"? No. That's no good either.

I see What you’re saying. I honestly assumed that agents had contracts written in with players, that they are entitled to a certain payout, if they provide a certain level of assistance on the deal. Typical to what many real estate agents use. But I guess that’s not the typical practice in the sports agent world.

mcmvp

Reaction score
You can't do an end run around the agent any more than you can do an end run around the union itself. The agent is an extension of the union, pursuant to the CBA and NLRB.

The authority and duty to promulgate these Regulations are also contained in the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the NFL and the NFLPA, which states as follows: [T]he National Football League Players Association is recognized as the sole and exclusive bargaining representative of present and future employee players in the NFL in a bargaining unit described as follows:

Article 48, Section 1, of the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement as amended further provides, among other things, that: The NFL and the Clubs recognize that, pursuant to federal labor law, the NFLPA will regulate the conduct of agents who represent players in individual contract negotiations with Clubs. On or after the date on which the NFLPA notifies the NFL that an agent regulation system is in effect and provides the NFL with a list of the NFLPA-certified agents, Clubs are prohibited from engaging in individual contract negotiations with any agent who is not listed by the NFLPA as being duly certified by the NFLPA in accordance with its role as exclusive bargaining agent for NFL players.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/RegulationsAmendedAugust2016.pdf

Thank you...I was actually tempted to try to dig it up. It's laughable that some people want to dismiss this rule as being 'non existent'.

It's there to protect the members of the union - the players. Now, is it always followed to the letter of the law? Of course not...and I'm sure the Cowboys are not alone on an island being accused of violating it.

But the naivety of some people is actually kind of scary. They don't even realize it, but they are part of the reason why laws like this exist in the first place.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sounds like some agents are whining.
The Cowboys are allowed to do this. The article is written as though they are not, but it's not true.

Sometimes agents are negotiating to help their other clients as much or more than they are for one particular player.
In other words, they don't always have a particular player's best interest at heart.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see What you’re saying. I honestly assumed that agents had contracts written in with players, that they are entitled to a certain payout, if they provide a certain level of assistance on the deal. Typical to what many real estate agents use. But I guess that’s not the typical practice in the sports agent world.

I think of it like this, whenever there is money involved, things can get ugly. When there is a whole lot of money involved? Things can get really ugly. Lawyers, contracts, and agents can be an unsavory business all around depending on the scruples or lack thereof of the parties involved.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you...I was actually tempted to try to dig it up. It's laughable that some people want to dismiss this rule as being 'non existent'.

It's there to protect the members of the union - the players. Now, is it always followed to the letter of the law? Of course not...and I'm sure the Cowboys are not alone on an island being accused of violating it.

But the naivety of some people is actually kind of scary. They don't even realize it, but they are part of the reason why laws like this exist in the first place.

Some fans cannot accept anything even remotely perceived as critical of their team. They lose it and take things personally.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I've always questioned why players pay a ridiculous amount for an agents in contract talks. And unless I have a ton of sponsorships I don't need one to assist me around my work schedule.

They're literal bottom feeders and what good is an agent when players are broke before or soon after they retire while the agents siphon millions a year for as long as they're around

These players know nothing or very little about financials when it comes to negotiating a contract. Owners would screw them over so bad if agents were not in place. I am not saying it is wise to spend a ton of money on an agent but they are needed for players. There is so much language that go into these and negotiations take time. Players want to focus on actually doing what they do to be able to get paid, not contracts. Some agents are definitely better than others. Let someone who does it for a living deal with everything. Owners are greedy and will do anything in their power to make sure they pay the player as little as possible for them to stick around.