NFLPA looking into Cowboys' direct dealing with players

erod

Reaction score
It might be ok if he was in Camp. The fact he’s holding out probably is the difference.
Still doesn't stop two grown men from talking to each other.

The owner is rat-holing Zeke in Cabo to prevent this. He knows that if Jerry can get Zeke in a room, it's all over.

It worked with Deion, Lawrence, Jaylon, and Dez.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
its Fake news...sour grapes. Nothing Dallas' front office is doing talkin directly to players about deals is any different than what all other 31 teams do. They are just being singled out because Zeke is Butt Hurt right now. Wouldn't be shocked if his agent contacted the NFL PA and stirred this up. ALL THE CLUBS TALK TO ITS PLAYERS ABOUT DEALS.
Precisely, Im no lawyer, but sometimes common sense prevails.
I would love to see the day when teams start removing players from their draft boards based on who the player is represented by.
Bet it wouldn't take long to lower the greed factor and deals would start getting done quicker in a more amicable way.

superonyx

Reaction score
@superonyx

A. Persons Subject to Regulations
No person (other than a player representing himself) shall be permitted to conduct indi-
vidual contract negotiations on behalf of a player* and/or assist in or advise with respect
to such negotiations with NFL Clubs after the effective date of these Regulations unless he/
she is (1) currently certified as a Contract Advisor pursuant to these Regulations; (2) signs
a Standard Representation Agreement with the player (See Section 4; Appendix D); and
(3) files a fully executed copy of the Standard Representation Agreement with the NFLPA,
along with any contract(s) between the player and the Contract Advisor for other services
to be provided

That is directly from the PDF I quoted.
That doesnt say or imply that a player can't speak to an owner on his own behalf.
That is an agents contract with the NFLPA which simply says no agent can speak on the players behalf unless he is a licensed NFLPA agent.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
That doesnt say or imply that a player can't speak to an owner on his own behalf.
That is an agents contract with the NFLPA which simply says no agent can speak on the players behalf unless he is a licensed NFLPA agent.
No person (other than a player representing himself) shall be permitted to conduct indi-
vidual contract negotiations on behalf of a player*

He's not representing himself is he? No.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Still doesn't stop two grown men from talking to each other.

The owner is rat-holing Zeke in Cabo to prevent this. He knows that if Jerry can get Zeke in a room, it's all over.

It worked with Deion, Lawrence, Jaylon, and Dez.
I’m not sure who leaked it but heard someone say if they could just get in the same room together they could get a deal done. That’s probably why the Union got involved .

While I agree with your premise there is a protocol to follow that both sides have agreed to.

Again, the difference in comparison is the hold out.

slick325

Reaction score
Jerry did the same with Dez and with Romo. None of this should be news to any agent, the NFLPA or anyone involved in representingrepresenting NFL players.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I’m not sure who leaked it but heard someone say if they could just get in the same room together they could get a deal done. That’s probably why the Union got involved .

While I agree with your premise there is a protocol to follow that both sides have agreed to.

Again, the difference in comparison is the hold out.
I saw that posted here not sure if it was a quote from somebody else though

JeffAtl

Reaction score
It seems like the best course of action will be for the Cowboys to announce that while they love Zeke, the situation has turned toxic and they are actively looking for trades.

This is somewhat similar to the Khalil Mack situation last year, so a desperate (i.e. sucker) team can be found that will offer up more value that then situation warrants.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I saw that posted here not sure if it was a quote from somebody else though
I had posted it last couple of days. I just don’t recall where I heard it. But I suspect there’s some validity to it and why Union is investigating.

It would be shocking of course if Jerry was attempting to meddle circumventing the process :)

Sydla

Reaction score
I see how this goes. NFLPA lodges a formal complaint. Goodell can't wait to settle with the NFLPA and slap Jerry again.

superonyx

Reaction score
vidual contract negotiations on behalf of a player*

He's not representing himself is he? No.
So you really believe the players agents guidebook is not just banning a player from speaking on his own behalf but it is also making it a crime or violation of the league rules for the owner if the player chooses to do so?

You can't....you just can't...

superonyx

Reaction score
I had posted it last couple of days. I just don’t recall where I heard it. But I suspect there’s some validity to it and why Union is investigating.

It would be shocking of course if Jerry was attempting to meddle circumventing the process :)
The only thing I believe the union could "look into" is the possibility of Jerry refusing to work with an agent and forcing a player to negotiate on his own behalf.
That wont go anywhere fast.

JeffAtl

Reaction score
Precisely, Im no lawyer, but sometimes common sense prevails.
I would love to see the day when teams start removing players from their draft boards based on who the player is represented by.
Bet it wouldn't take long to lower the greed factor and deals would start getting done quicker in a more amicable way.

I agree. The real losers with the escalating salaries are the mid level rank-and-file players. The situation is leading to them necessarily getting squeezed out of the league and replaced by league minimum guys.

The owners aren't losing because they're governed by the cap.

The Pats really are the best team to play for as they see the value in keeping the salary cap money more evenly spread out - I think they have more players making $1M+ than any other team.

superonyx

Reaction score
It seems like the best course of action will be for the Cowboys to announce that while they love Zeke, the situation has turned toxic and they are actively looking for trades.

This is somewhat similar to the Khalil Mack situation last year, so a desperate (i.e. sucker) team can be found that will offer up more value that then situation warrants.
The problem with your logic is the sucker team in the Mack situation turned out to be the Raiders.
I'm 100% sure the Bears won that deal.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a very good reason they don't want the owners dealing directly with the players and have what they feel is a safeguard in place. Think some of these owners wouldn't get cute with that cap and do a workaround with the player? By having an agent in place, they lead the public to believe it's all on the up and up because if an agent does that he gets booted out.

Do you really think all of these owners abide by that cap? Think there aren't some side deals and just who would be policing that? Think all of these owners got the money to buy a team following the rules? Hell, they don't trust each other.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
So you really believe the players agents guidebook is not just banning a player from speaking on his own behalf but it is also making it a crime or violation of the league rules for the owner if the player chooses to do so?

You can't....you just can't...
You're the one that said it doesn't "imply or say he can't" when it does just that. I'm just pointing it out.

JeffAtl

Reaction score
The problem with your logic is the sucker team in the Mack situation turned out to be the Raiders.
I'm 100% sure the Bears won that deal.

The Bears were the suckers (mostly). They went all in on winning now and have completely mortgaged their immediate future.

The Mack contract will keep them from re-signing their existing players and the draft picks they gave up will prevent them from rebuilding through the draft with cheap rookie contracts.

The only saving grace for the Bears is that they were able to get a 2nd round pick back from the Raiders, which could end up being almost a late 1st round pick if the Raiders are really bad.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. The real losers with the escalating salaries are the mid level rank-and-file players. The situation is leading to them necessarily getting squeezed out of the league and replaced by league minimum guys.

The owners aren't losing because they're governed by the cap.

The Pats really are the best team to play for as they see the value in keeping the salary cap money more evenly spread out - I think they have more players making $1M+ than any other team.
And fewer "star" players, that's where the money goes and if Belichick even senses he's got a start on his hands, he fixes that. Greed is contagious.

superonyx

Reaction score
The Bears were the suckers (mostly). They went all in on winning now and have completely mortgaged their immediate future.

The Mack contract will keep them from re-signing their existing players and the draft picks they gave up will prevent them from rebuilding through the draft with cheap rookie contracts.

The only saving grace for the Bears is that they were able to get a 2nd round pick back from the Raiders, which could end up being almost a late 1st round pick if the Raiders are really bad.
Come on man.

Countless articles have been written that the Bears clearly won that trade.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/another-day-another-reason-why-bears-won-khalil-mack-trade

JeffAtl

Reaction score
Come on man.

Countless articles have been written that the Bears clearly won that trade.

Those articles are very naive because they don't consider the contract ramifications. Would you trade our punter for Von Miller? Sounds like a no-brainer right? What if Von Miller was holding out and demanded a $60M/yr guaranteed deal?

That's an exaggerated example to illustrate the point, but it is apt.

The Raiders had an asset that wasn't worth much to them (due to the contract situation) and they salvaged as much as they could. The Bears gave the Raiders more than they could have expected because they were desperate to "win now".

Think about it, if the Bears go deep in the playoffs, Trubinsky (who is on a cheap rookie deal), will want a Wentz-like extension - he might demand one regardless. They are in "superbowl or bust" mode.