NFL's top rivalries of the 1990s: Cowboys part of two legendary matchups

Plankton

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...1990s-cowboys-part-of-two-legendary-matchups/

The 49ers were the NFL's flagship team as the league entered into the 1990s. San Francisco's roster, filled with stars that included Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott, played an instrumental role in the league's continued growth in popularity during the 1980s. But as the league entered the new decade, several new teams would begin to make their claim as pro football's next best thing.

One of those teams, the Dallas Cowboys, would ultimately steal the title from the 49ers as pro football's dominant team. But the Cowboys, as great as they were, wasn't the only team that made a lasting imprint on pro football during this time. Furthermore, the Cowboys' epic duels with the 49ers, as great as they were, wasn't the only compelling rivalry during the '90s. Both teams also had to contend with Brett Favre and the Packers, who by decade's end would supplant both teams as the NFC's elite team. And there was also this team in Buffalo that you might have heard of, a team that went to four consecutive Super Bowls while denying a certain future Hall of Fame quarterback/coach combo the chance at winning a Lombardi Trophy together during a pivotal point in their careers.

With the recent conclusion of the NFL's 100th season, we decided to take a look at pro football's top five rivalries during the '90s. It's safe to say that these rivalries have aged better than Zubaz pants, Walkmans and Pogs. But don't take my word for it.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
The 90s were the last stand of the "Superteams." Championship teams with a core of HOF players that would battle each other year after year. I know the Pats have been dominant, but they are more about a great coach and a great QB, not a great core, like the Cowboys, the 49ers, and the Bills had in the 90s. The 70s were great for superteams. The Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins, Raiders.

FA kind of ruined it. The upside is that every team feels like they have a chance. The downside is that you don't have these legendary cores battling other legendary cores.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
After a couple of years under Jimmy Johnson, we Had no rivals.

I don't think so. San Fran was still capable of beating Dallas at any given moment in 1992-1994 (bear in mind that the two conference title games Dallas beat them could have gone the other way - if it weren't for Aikman's slant to Harper and Kosar converting a critical third down to Irvin, the Niners could very well have gotten the momentum and come all the way back.)

And by 1995, the Packers were well ascendant.

Not a single one of the 1990s Dallas titles was easily won.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Minor quibble with the CBS article: Emmitt technically didn't score on a 16-yard run against the Niners, it was a pass reception.

Hypotenoose

Reaction score
I don't think so. San Fran was still capable of beating Dallas at any given moment in 1992-1994 (bear in mind that the two conference title games Dallas beat them could have gone the other way - if it weren't for Aikman's slant to Harper and Kosar converting a critical third down to Irvin, the Niners could very well have gotten the momentum and come all the way back.)

I’m with you. Representing the NFC in the Super Bowl in the early 90’s was an incredible accomplishment. I liken the Cowboys-Niners/Packers rivalry of the 90’s to the Cowboys-Vikings/Rams of the 70’s.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

Wrong. The 94 Dallas win over San Fran was very dominant. We beat their ***** handily without our Pro Bowl QB.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The 90s were the last stand of the "Superteams." Championship teams with a core of HOF players that would battle each other year after year. I know the Pats have been dominant, but they are more about a great coach and a great QB, not a great core, like the Cowboys, the 49ers, and the Bills had in the 90s. The 70s were great for superteams. The Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins, Raiders.

FA kind of ruined it. The upside is that every team feels like they have a chance. The downside is that you don't have these legendary cores battling other legendary cores.

I disagree. In the afc in the 2000’s, 8 of the 10 Super Bowls were represented by 3 teams. All with HoF QBs and littered with HoF players.

If you go from 2000-2019, 18 of the 20 Super Bowls were made by just 5 afc teams, and 2 of them had the same QB. All 5 covered in hall of famers.

Last edited:

MikeB80

Reaction score
The weird thing about that cowboys niners rivalry was that it just came out of nowhere. Few people really thought Dallas would win that game in 92 and I imagine the niners players did not expect to lose that day. This was a veteran niners team for the most part and their big rivalry was with The Giants for years. This game created a rivalry in the sense that it was a championship game.

In 93 I think SF thought they would beat Dallas and then lost in october at texas stadium. That I think is where the rivalry started, it was like we actually cant beat these guys, then they lost again in january and the teams were almost fighting in the pregame.

SF had a great Rivalry with the Giants in the 80's. I don't think Bill Parcells every really thought Bill Walsh was a genius and right up until the time when he was in Dallas when he would be asked about Walsh or the "west coast offense" you could see his eyes light up. I think that giants team and coaching staff liked playing the niners and beating them up. They were polar opposites. SF was the highly functioning machine with the trophies and accolades....The giants were bullies. Very much like Dallas and NY in 07.

Dallas just came out of nowhere I think as far as the niners were concerned. Dallas and Washington and Dallas and Philadelphia had great rivalries still in the jimmy years and early 90s. It was like the Dallas SF Rivalry was really just 93-95. Very short.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I disagree. In the afc in the 2000’s, 8 of the 10 Super Bowls were represented by 3 teams. All with HoF QBs and littered with HoF players.

If you go from 2000-2019, 18 of the 20 Super Bowls were made by just 5 afc teams, and 2 of them had the same QB. All 5 covered in hall of famers.

Yep. There was a Patriots-Colts-Steelers 3-way rivalry for a long time.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now I will have to watch that 1992 NFC Championship game again.
also all the playoff games Favre lost to us. :muttley:

Must have been at least 10 years since I seen any of them.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboy-49er rivalry also existed in the early 70's.

The 49ers were coached by ex-Cowboy coach Dick Nolan. The Cowboys and the 49ers met in the playoffs three consecutive seasons. The first two were in the NFC championship game. The last was the divisional game where Staubach came in after being out all season long. He led the Cowboys to a miracle come from behind win.

In the first game Cowboy quarterback Craig Morton was terrible, completed only 7 passes. Duane Thomas 27 carries 143 yards. Walt Garrison 17 carries 71 yards.

In the 2nd game, Roger Staubach was the leading rusher, followed by Walt Garrison, then Duane Thomas and Calvin Hill.

That was a good 49er team but the original Doomsday Defense was no joke. In the combined two games, the 49ers scored 13 points, threw 5 INT's.