Nice break down of Jace Sternberger

Hardline

Reaction score
This guy has a pretty good shot at being our 2nd round pick.

cowboyec

Reaction score
wasn't a fan at first but the more I see...the more I like.
just don't think Irv Smith or the Iowa Twins will be there at 58...but this fella should.
Id be good with it.

Mr_437

Reaction score
One of the first TEs I've looked at for this draft, but I haven't look at much of the others. Anyway, if DAL is serious about having a seam buster at TE they should have this guy on the short list at 58.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Yeah, he's pretty good. I've been thinking he's in play for round 2. I like how he transferred then just went on a tear in the SEC. He's more athletic than he looks, imo.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He really doesn’t move the needle to me because we’ve got a similar guy in Jarwin. Unless we are planning to have a two TE attack like the Eagles with Ertz and Goedert it wouldn’t make sense to me.

DanA

Reaction score
I didn't think he looked that great in the evaluation. The first play was pretty special, and there was some good blocks in space but I thought he struggled a bit as a blocker overall and thought Matt was waxing lyrics about some pretty average plays a bit too much. don't think he's that good a route runner in general. Wouldn't take him before our 3rd pick.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’m a fan, but I’m not taking a TE in the 2nd that isn’t Smith, Hock or Fant.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'm not as big on him but I think he's an upgrade on anything we currently have.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yes, but I would think that he is not the 58th best player in the draft.

If Dallas takes him in the second, we are reaching for a TE.

Agreed. Arguably a top 100 talent, but not a top 60 talent.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Agreed. Arguably a top 100 talent, but not a top 60 talent.

I hate the Aggies, but he's going to move up boards as we get closer to the Draft. Combine will be huge for him, obviously, but right now he's top 100.

He's not LVE (although we didn't even know who LVE was this time last year), but he does have a small part of that factor. This was his 1 year actually playing, and he was one of, if not the most, productive TEs in the country. The Iowa guys get a pass because they split production, but this guy really only got on the field this year and was incredibly productive. It wasn't a small school either, it was the SEC with a new coach that had tough games. The A&M scheme helped, but a lot of it was NFL type production, catches in small windows, breaks out of routes with defenders, etc. For a first year player at an SEC program, he blocked pretty well too.

I'm not trying to use hyperbole to build him up, but it's something that stands out when evaluating prospects and their potential. He's not Hockenson, Irv Smith, or Fant as they are much more polished, and Irv Smith is probably going to blow up the Combine, but teams are going to be paying attention to that. You also have to account for the fact that if he returned to school, he'd be one of the top TE prospects in the country going into the 2019 CFB season.

Right now I don't know one way or another, but a good Combine and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he breaks top 60. Teams are really going to like him with his production and intangibles ("want to" with athletic guys that produce is an extremely underrated aspect in drafting forums that successful teams evaluate seriously, which he seems to possess) he's more athletic than Kaden Smith but if he's truly a round 2 type player will be determined at the Combine.

This isn't an endorsement, I just post a lot more in the Draft Zone in the offseason because I'm a draft nerd. I enjoy all the shenanigans of the draft probably much more than I should.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
I hate the Aggies, but he's going to move up boards as we get closer to the Draft. Combine will be huge for him, obviously, but right now he's top 100.

He's not LVE (although we didn't even know who LVE was this time last year), but he does have a small part of that factor. This was his 1 year actually playing, and he was one of, if not the most, productive TEs in the country. The Iowa guys get a pass because they split production, but this guy really only got on the field this year and was incredibly productive. It wasn't a small school either, it was the SEC with a new coach that had tough games. The A&M scheme helped, but a lot of it was NFL type production, catches in small windows, breaks out of routes with defenders, etc. For a first year player at an SEC program, he blocked pretty well too.

I'm not trying to use hyperbole to build him up, but it's something that stands out when evaluating prospects and their potential. He's not Hockenson, Irv Smith, or Fant as they are much more polished, and Irv Smith is probably going to blow up the Combine, but teams are going to be paying attention to that. You also have to account for the fact that if he returned to school, he'd be one of the top TE prospects in the country going into the 2019 CFB season.

Right now I don't know one way or another, but a good Combine and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he breaks top 60. Teams are really going to like him with his production and intangibles ("want to" with athletic guys that produce is an extremely underrated aspect in drafting forums that successful teams evaluate seriously, which he seems to possess) he's more athletic than Kaden Smith but if he's truly a round 2 type player will be determined at the Combine.

This isn't an endorsement, I just post a lot more in the Draft Zone in the offseason because I'm a draft nerd. I enjoy all the shenanigans of the draft probably much more than I should.

LVE is way different. He was a fringe 1st rounder heading into the combine.

Jace will have to fly at the combine to move up boards. I doubt he will, but if he runs in the 4.6s I think he’ll get 2nd round looks.

gmoney112

Reaction score
LVE is way different. He was a fringe 1st rounder heading into the combine.

Jace will have to fly at the combine to move up boards. I doubt he will, but if he runs in the 4.6s I think he’ll get 2nd round looks.

Haha, if he has the type of Combine where he runs 4.6s and does that well in everything else, 2nd round is a lock.

I basically wrote LVEs football biography on CZ last year about 50 times but that wasn't really the point.

But yeah, Combine is going to be huge and don't be surprised if teams are pretty high on him. The only question is if he's the 4th or 5th TE taken. Going to be fun watching that work itself out. There are a few guys like Knox who I just have no idea where they go.

Last edited: