Nick Foles buying out his contract to become free agent

Sydla

Reaction score
If the Eagles have a deal or think they can trade him, they'll tag him.

They can't carry him on their roster in 2019 at $25MM. So they'd tag him only knowing they could trade him - likely for a mid-round pick (s)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Eagles have a deal or think they can trade him, they'll tag him.

They can't carry him on their roster in 2019 at $25MM. So they'd tag him only knowing they could trade him - likely for a mid-round pick (s)

I don't see what anyone should trade anything for him.

The worst kept secret in the world is that the Eagles can't afford to keep him.

Call their bluff and give up nothing in draft compensation.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't see what anyone should trade anything for him.

The worst kept secret in the world is that the Eagles can't afford to keep him.

Call their bluff and give up nothing in draft compensation.

I would suspect that teams would be willing to give up a mid round pick in order to control his rights. If you trade, say a 3rd rounder for him, you now control him for 2 years with the tags. If he hits the open market, there's no guarantee then that you could land him.

There's no doubt the Eagles are over a barrel here which is why talk of first round picks, 2nd round picks is likely pie in the sky. But I could see a team throwing a 3rd or a 4th and maybe a 7th at the Eagles to control him for two seasons.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
It will be tough for them to tag him. They will have to free up the $25 million in cap space to do it. I’m sure they can but trying to manipulate that much space could cause other issues. If they do it and then trade him, they will then have that cap space to get better. That’s not something I want to think about.

John813

Reaction score
Be curious how this plays out.
Jacksonville I assume would want another QB but they are already 4mil over the cap ceiling.
Bortles deal isn't favorable to cutting him this year without a huge dead cap hit.
They can cut a handful of guys to get under, but it's not like Foles is foolproof either.

Miami for now seems like the owner wants to tank for 2020.

Is Denver interested or will they draft another QB?

Sure there are other teams I'm leaving out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would suspect that teams would be willing to give up a mid round pick in order to control his rights. If you trade, say a 3rd rounder for him, you now control him for 2 years with the tags. If he hits the open market, there's no guarantee then that you could land him.

There's no doubt the Eagles are over a barrel here which is why talk of first round picks, 2nd round picks is likely pie in the sky. But I could see a team throwing a 3rd or a 4th and maybe a 7th at the Eagles to control him for two seasons.

You're paying him $25 million on a franchise tag already. That's top quarterback money. If a team is willing to do that for two years financially already, there's no need whatsoever to give up draft capital on top of it.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Also, the good news is. If they tag him, it negatively impacts their cap and while he is still tagged, it will hinder their ability to re-sign their own players or sign free agents. So the eagles will need to work out a trade for him quickly. Other teams know this and it provides leverage.

Given all those issues. I can see the eagles getting a 3rd rounder max for him. I think it would be dumb for any team to give up more than that.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You're paying him $25 million on a franchise tag already. That's top quarterback money. If a team is willing to do that for two years financially already, there's no need whatsoever to give up draft capital on top of it.

What are you talking about?

The Eagles just got some leverage back.

This year’s QB draft class is weak and Foles is the most attractive “available” QB on the market. He’s got proven postseason track record and is still relatively young at 29.

I could EASILY see a team giving up draft capital on him.

You think some team (say the Jags) are gonna say “ha ha, called your bluff! We kept our 3rd rounder and still have Bortles!!!!”

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are you talking about?

The Eagles just got some leverage back.

This year’s QB draft class is weak and Foles is the most attractive “available” QB on the market. He’s got proven postseason track record and is still relatively young at 29.

I could EASILY see a team giving up draft capital on him.

You think some team (say the Jags) are gonna say “ha ha, called your bluff! We kept our 3rd rounder and still have Bortles!!!!”

What they're going to say is "good luck being over the salary cap!" And wait out this smoke show.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also, the good news is. If they tag him, it negatively impacts their cap and while he is still tagged, it will hinder their ability to re-sign their own players or sign free agents. So the eagles will need to work out a trade for him quickly. Other teams know this and it provides leverage.

Given all those issues. I can see the eagles getting a 3rd rounder max for him. I think it would be dumb for any team to give up more than that.

Knowing what you've said, which is all accurate, it's dumb for anyone to give them anything.

Everything you've said is accurate. In fact, the Eagles will be over the cap when they tag him. So not only can they not sign anybody, they'd have to restructure and or cut the players they still do have.