Nick Foles buying out his contract to become free agent

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eagles won't let him if they have a trade set up, which is what all this back and forth is about. Maybe they don't tag him, but that's not what we're discussing, it's what if they do. Howie has said he'll handle the Foles situation in whatever way is best for the Eagles.

Oh it's very much what I'm talking about. You seem to want to make it some accepted inevitability, but I don't.

There's no rush for any team other than the Eagles here. Getting Foles in March or In May makes little difference to them. It's the Eagles who would be capped out and unable to sign any free agents, their own or otherwise.

Call Howie's bluff.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Yes, that’s true, and it’s also true you’ll albe trading for a guy that other than those 3 playoff games has had a very ordinary career. Which is the entire point I was making and that you have inexplicably been arguing about.

1. One of 8 players in NFL history to throw for 7 TDs in a game.

2. Shockingly, the only QB in NFL to throw for 7 TDs while needing less than 30 attempts. He still ended up with over 400 yards passing, which gives him by far the most yards per attempt of any QB to throw for 7 TDs. Also consider that 5 of the other 7 QBs threw interceptions in those games, meaning Nick joins Peyton and Y. A. Tittle as the only turnover-less 7 TD games in NFL history.

3. With his yards per attempt, 400+ yards passing, 0 turnovers, and only 6 incompletions (by far the fewest in a 7 TD game), Nick is the only QB of the 8 to have a perfect QB rating. Therefore, it's safe to say that Nick Foles owns the single greatest statistical game for a QB in NFL history.

4. Nick Foles is one of only 7 players in all of NFL history to win Pro Bowl MVP and Super Bowl MVP.

5. Nick Foles threw 19 consecutive TDs in 2013 before throwing an interception. That is second all-time.

6. Nick Foles holds the all-time NFL record for most consecutive passes completed in a game with 25, set in 2018. He shares it with Phillip Rivers.

7. Nick Foles set the all-time Eagles record for completion % in 2018 with at least 25 attempts in a game at 84.9% in that game. He broke his own record of 84% he set in 2013.

8. This was also the second most accurate game by a passer against the Commanders in their entire history, minimum 25 attempts.

9. If you reduce the qualification for passes attempted to 160, Foles qualifies with a 72.3 completion percentage. That's second-highest in NFL history, behind only Brees' 74.4 percent, also this year. EVER.

10. Nick Foles has started 38 games for the Eagles, yet has amassed 20(!) games with a QB rating over 100. That's already fourth most in team history, despite starting barely more than 2 years worth of games.

11. Including games with the Rams and Chiefs, Foles has 24 career games with a passer rating of 100. That's 11th-most in NFL history by a player in his first 54 career games and more than all but two Hall of Famers (Kurt Warner, Dan Marino).

12. Since opening day of last year, Foles is the second-most accurate passer in the NFL, behind Brees, of course. Including the regular season and postseason Foles has completed 68.4 percent of his passes since returning to the Eagles. Brees is at 72.7. Just behind Foles are Kirk Cousins (67.4 percent), Andrew Luck (67.3 percent) and Matt Ryan (67.1 percent).

13. Foles is one of only four quarterbacks who played in last year's postseason who will also played in this year's. The others are Tom Brady, Jared Goff and Drew Brees.

14. In 2013 Nick Foles threw 27 TDs in only 10 starts, because we started the season with Vick. Had he played all season, this pace would have put him at 43 TD passes, which would have obliterated the Eagles all-time record. As well as obliterate the record for 24 other franchises... including Dallas.

15. Nick Foles has the third highest single season passer rating in NFL history at 119.2.

16. Nick Foles 18.5-to-1 TD to INT ratio in 2013 is second all-time. (Brady)

17. Nick Foles is only the third QB in all of NFL history to beat the top ranked NFL defense in consecutive playoffs seasons. (Elway, Montana)

18. In the second half of playoff games through 2017, Foles had thrown a combined 14 incomplete passes. He's 48-for-62 in the second half in his postseason career, which is 77.4 percent (Kurt Warner is second all-time at 68.0 percent). He had thrown for 544 yards with five TDs and no interceptions, good for 130.4 passer rating. That's highest in NFL history for quarters 3 and 4, far ahead of second-place Drew Brees (111.9). Nick Foles is quite literally the greatest *statistical* playoff closer in all of NFL history.

19. Foles has four career playoff games with a passer rating of 100 or more. Only 13 quarterbacks in NFL history have had more. Six of them are in the Hall of Fame, and four are Hall of Fame locks. Among quarterbacks in their 20s, only Troy Aikman (8), Joe Flacco (6), Russell Wilson (6), Tom Brady (5), Brett Favre (5) and Aaron Rodgers (5) have had more.

20. In his first 4 playoff games, Nick Foles had a 100+ QB rating. Foles' streak of four straight postseason games with a passer rating of 100 or more is fourth-longest in NFL history, behind only Joe Montana (8 games), Matt Ryan (5) and Joe Flacco (5). Troy Aikman and Bart Starr also had four-game streaks.

21. Foles has more playoff wins before his 30th birthday than 26 of 32 modern-era quarterbacks in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. His four playoff wins are second-most among active quarterbacks currently in their 20s, behind only Wilson's eight.

22. Foles' passer rating of 115.7 for the entire postseason is ninth-highest in NFL history, and his 72.6 percent accuracy is third-highest, behind only Montana in 1989 (78.3 percent) and Troy Aikman in 1993 (74.4 percent). Foles is only the third quarterback to win a Super Bowl after completing 65 percent or more of his passes with one or fewer interceptions in each postseason game. The others are Brady and Montana.

23. Foles is the fourth quarterback in history to throw for 350 yards with one or fewer interception and 65 percent accuracy in a Super Bowl. Only Foles and Brady have done that in a Super Bowl win.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If you feel Foles's stats seem pedestrian to you, there's no way I can dispute your own opinion. But I would contend 'an ordinary career' is probably the least accurate assessment of Nick Foles.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Oh it's very much what I'm talking about. You seem to want to make it some accepted inevitability, but I don't.

There's no rush for any team other than the Eagles here. Getting Foles in March or In May makes little difference to them. It's the Eagles who would be capped out and unable to sign any free agents, their own or otherwise.

Call Howie's bluff.

I've said it many times in this thread, it's very possible they don't tag him. I've been responding solely to comments about what a mistake tagging him would be, which isn't hypothetically true because they'd really only do it if they have something set up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've said it many times in this thread, it's very possible they don't tag him. I've been responding solely to comments about what a mistake tagging him would be, which isn't hypothetically true because they'd really only do it if they have something set up.

Ok, I'm expecting that they don't tag him. And I've mentioned that several times. And why teams know that they can't keep him an would simply wait them out.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Ok, I'm expecting that they don't tag him. And I've mentioned that several times. And why teams know that they can't keep him an would simply wait them out.

I understand your position, while I disagree that teams won't at least entertain acquiring him through trade, it's quite possible the assets in return are so minimal that they'll not tag him out of respect for the player. No one wants to see "traded for a 6th rounder" in their bio.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand your position, while I disagree that teams won't at least entertain acquiring him through trade, it's quite possible the assets in return are so minimal that they'll not tag him out of respect for the player. No one wants to see "traded for a 6th rounder" in their bio.

And I think Foles deserves that respect. He brought the Eagles their first ever Super Bowl title. And followed that up by being a good soldier and taking a seat, and then bailing the team out again.

If the Eagles have decided to choose Wentz over him? Fine. Make your decision. But at least honor the guy who brought you a title by allowing him to decide for himself, the same way that the Eagles decided to go with Wentz.

He's earned it.

I'm sure you know as well as I do what playing in Philadelphia means to him, no matter where he goes, he'd rather be playing there. It's tough for him to have to leave, no need to make it even tougher.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

2. Shockingly, the only QB in NFL to throw for 7 TDs while needing less than 30 attempts. He still ended up with over 400 yards passing, which gives him by far the most yards per attempt of any QB to throw for 7 TDs. Also consider that 5 of the other 7 QBs threw interceptions in those games, meaning Nick joins Peyton and Y. A. Tittle as the only turnover-less 7 TD games in NFL history.

3. With his yards per attempt, 400+ yards passing, 0 turnovers, and only 6 incompletions (by far the fewest in a 7 TD game), Nick is the only QB of the 8 to have a perfect QB rating. Therefore, it's safe to say that Nick Foles owns the single greatest statistical game for a QB in NFL history.

4. Nick Foles is one of only 7 players in all of NFL history to win Pro Bowl MVP and Super Bowl MVP.

5. Nick Foles threw 19 consecutive TDs in 2013 before throwing an interception. That is second all-time.

6. Nick Foles holds the all-time NFL record for most consecutive passes completed in a game with 25, set in 2018. He shares it with Phillip Rivers.

7. Nick Foles set the all-time Eagles record for completion % in 2018 with at least 25 attempts in a game at 84.9% in that game. He broke his own record of 84% he set in 2013.

8. This was also the second most accurate game by a passer against the Commanders in their entire history, minimum 25 attempts.

9. If you reduce the qualification for passes attempted to 160, Foles qualifies with a 72.3 completion percentage. That's second-highest in NFL history, behind only Brees' 74.4 percent, also this year. EVER.

10. Nick Foles has started 38 games for the Eagles, yet has amassed 20(!) games with a QB rating over 100. That's already fourth most in team history, despite starting barely more than 2 years worth of games.

11. Including games with the Rams and Chiefs, Foles has 24 career games with a passer rating of 100. That's 11th-most in NFL history by a player in his first 54 career games and more than all but two Hall of Famers (Kurt Warner, Dan Marino).

12. Since opening day of last year, Foles is the second-most accurate passer in the NFL, behind Brees, of course. Including the regular season and postseason Foles has completed 68.4 percent of his passes since returning to the Eagles. Brees is at 72.7. Just behind Foles are Kirk Cousins (67.4 percent), Andrew Luck (67.3 percent) and Matt Ryan (67.1 percent).

13. Foles is one of only four quarterbacks who played in last year's postseason who will also played in this year's. The others are Tom Brady, Jared Goff and Drew Brees.

14. In 2013 Nick Foles threw 27 TDs in only 10 starts, because we started the season with Vick. Had he played all season, this pace would have put him at 43 TD passes, which would have obliterated the Eagles all-time record. As well as obliterate the record for 24 other franchises... including Dallas.

15. Nick Foles has the third highest single season passer rating in NFL history at 119.2.

17. Nick Foles is only the third QB in all of NFL history to beat the top ranked NFL defense in consecutive playoffs seasons. (Elway, Montana)

18. In the second half of playoff games through 2017, Foles had thrown a combined 14 incomplete passes. He's 48-for-62 in the second half in his postseason career, which is 77.4 percent (Kurt Warner is second all-time at 68.0 percent). He had thrown for 544 yards with five TDs and no interceptions, good for 130.4 passer rating. That's highest in NFL history for quarters 3 and 4, far ahead of second-place Drew Brees (111.9). Nick Foles is quite literally the greatest *statistical* playoff closer in all of NFL history.

19. Foles has four career playoff games with a passer rating of 100 or more. Only 13 quarterbacks in NFL history have had more. Six of them are in the Hall of Fame, and four are Hall of Fame locks. Among quarterbacks in their 20s, only Troy Aikman (8), Joe Flacco (6), Russell Wilson (6), Tom Brady (5), Brett Favre (5) and Aaron Rodgers (5) have had more.

20. In his first 4 playoff games, Nick Foles had a 100+ QB rating. Foles' streak of four straight postseason games with a passer rating of 100 or more is fourth-longest in NFL history, behind only Joe Montana (8 games), Matt Ryan (5) and Joe Flacco (5). Troy Aikman and Bart Starr also had four-game streaks.

21. Foles has more playoff wins before his 30th birthday than 26 of 32 modern-era quarterbacks in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. His four playoff wins are second-most among active quarterbacks currently in their 20s, behind only Wilson's eight.

22. Foles' passer rating of 115.7 for the entire postseason is ninth-highest in NFL history, and his 72.6 percent accuracy is third-highest, behind only Montana in 1989 (78.3 percent) and Troy Aikman in 1993 (74.4 percent). Foles is only the third quarterback to win a Super Bowl after completing 65 percent or more of his passes with one or fewer interceptions in each postseason game. The others are Brady and Montana.

23. Foles is the fourth quarterback in history to throw for 350 yards with one or fewer interception and 65 percent accuracy in a Super Bowl. Only Foles and Brady have done that in a Super Bowl win.

If you feel Foles's stats seem pedestrian to you, there's no way I can dispute your own opinion. But I would contend 'an ordinary career' is probably the least accurate assessment of Nick Foles.
Again, I talked about his career being ordinary. I never said he didn’t have very good moments mixed in. Most of what you have quoted regarding accomplishments in a seasonis from one season .... out of seven. He did have one great overall season ... out of 7. Most of the postseason accomplishments is from the playoffs in one season. The 7 TD game, as great as it was, was one game, and not representative of his career. All starting QBs have highlight moments, individual games or stretches that are great, but they don’t represent an entire career.

visionary

Reaction score

Can you compare the stats of this phenomenal QB against those of the starting QB of the Philadelphia Eagles?

If Foles is that amazing, why don't the Eagles just keep him over a QB whose has had good regular season numbers but is always injured and hadn't played a down in post season?

Last edited:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
As much as the eagles pooped on the guy, I'd like to see them ending up having to franchise him at close to 30M and he immediately announces he'll retire after the 2019-20 season thus killing any chance of a team trading for him.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Can you compare the stats of this phenomenal QB against those of the starting QB of the Philadelphia Eagles?

If Foles is that good, why dint the Eagles just jerk him over a QB whose has had good regular season numbers but is always injured and hadn't played a down in post season?

If that's all you think of Wentz then there's no answer you will accept to that question. You know more about football than 90% of the people who work in the NFL evidently.

visionary

Reaction score
If that's all you think of Wentz then there's no answer you will accept to that question. You know more about football than 90% of the people who work in the NFL evidently.

No, i'm in lock step with those NFL evaluators

I'm taking YOUR PREMISE of how amazingly great Foles is (which is idiotic BTW) and asking you why you as an eagles fan would want to part ways with this truly amazing generational QB and keep Wentz who is injured and way way less accomplished

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
No, i'm in lock step with those NFL evaluators

I'm taking YOUR PREMISE of how amazingly great Foles is (which is idiotic BTW) and asking you why you as an eagles fan would want to part ways with this truly amazing generational QB and keep Wentz who is injured and way way less accomplished

I never said he was amazing great, you put those words in my mouth. I was disputing someone proclaiming him perfectly average, which is not correct.

As for your question, because Carson is even better.

visionary

Reaction score
As much as the eagles pooped on the guy, I'd like to see them ending up having to franchise him at close to 30M and he immediately announces he'll retire after the 2019-20 season thus killing any chance of a team trading for him.

Why would he

If I'm Foles, I tell the Eagles that if they franchise me and try to trade me, I will tell any team that I'm not going to sign an extension with them

That will stop the Eagles from franchising him and he can sign a FA contract with a team of his choosing

Why would I want the eagles telling me where I can go? If I'm Foles I want to choose the best option for me

visionary

Reaction score
I never said he was amazing great, you put those words in my mouth. I was disputing someone proclaiming him perfectly average, which is not correct.

As for your question, because Carson is even better.

You spent a lot of time outlining how all time great he is

Don't back up now

He's a slightly above average NFL QB who has only been successful in the current system for a few games and totally bombed elsewhere

Your attempts at trying to convince us he is anything more are laughable

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Why would he

If I'm Foles, I tell the Eagles that if they franchise me and try to trade me, I will tell any team that I'm not going to sign an extension with them

That will stop the Eagles from franchising him and he can sign a FA contract with a team of his choosing

Why would I want the eagles telling me where I can go? If I'm Foles I want to choose the best option for me
That's kind of what I was saying...if they tag him it will be in the neighborhood of 30M......no team is going to trade for him and even close to offering him anywhere near that.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You spent a lot of time outlining how all time great he is

Don't back up now

He's a slightly above average NFL QB who has only been successful in the current system for a few games and totally bombed elsewhere

Your attempts at trying to convince us he is anything more are laughable

I never once said he was all-time great. I don't need to back up and I'm sorry if you had trouble interpreting something I never said.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
That's kind of what I was saying...if they tag him it will be in the neighborhood of 30M......no team is going to trade for him and even close to offering him anywhere near that.

Here's another reason they might do it: Pat Shurmur was his QB coach during his big 2013. Report is Shurmur will be the first to offer him a deal once he hits free agency. So a real reason to franchise him is to prevent him from going to certain teams.

visionary

Reaction score
Here's another reason they might do it: Pat Shurmur was his QB coach during his big 2013. Report is Shurmur will be the first to offer him a deal once he hits free agency. So a real reason to franchise him is to prevent him from going to certain teams.

Riddle me this Einstein

Why would Foles want to be traded to a team of the Eagles choosing rather than his?

All he has to do it tell the team trading for him that he will not sign an extension with them. No team will trade for him

If he tells the Eagles this, there is no way they can afford to franchise him and then get stuck with a 25 million dollar back up

Your pipe dream goes pfffftttt

Now go back to an Eagles forum where idiot eagles fans find your schlop intelligent

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Riddle me this Einstein

Why would Foles want to be traded to a team of the Eagles choosing rather than his?

All he has to do it tell the team trading for him that he will not sign an extension with them. No team will trade for him

If he tells the Eagles this, there is no way they can afford to franchise him and then get stuck with a 25 million dollar back up

Your pipe dream goes pfffftttt

Now go back to an Eagles forum where idiot eagles fans find your schlop intelligent

No

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score

If he's so great why not keep him and trade Bubblewrap, who can't stay on the field?