Nick Saban on zone defenses

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Maybe. But he's proven he's a much better coach than Garrett between all the pointless clapping.
I don't think so. He flamed out when he didn't have the opportunity to have all the top talent. If you compare apples to apples, it can be easily argued that Garrett is the better coach, which is different from saying who is the more accomplished coach.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Some coaches excel in the right environment. With Saban its the college game. Send Garrett to Alabama and see how quick their program totally collapses.
I get you hate JG and I'm not the biggest fan but that seems like an awful lot of conjecture.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I found a super-old video of Michigan State head coach Nick Saban at a coaching clinic, breaking down his 4-3 zone defenses. 1 hour long but hugely informative if you're a strategy wonk, and even a casual 5 minute viewing at some random timestamp will have you coming away with some great insights.

This has a relevance for the Cowboys because

-we play almost all the zone concepts that Saban discusses here.

-Saban, like Marinelli, is VERY focused on giving players simple and easy-to-digest assignments for every play. They've got the same mentality - think less, play fast. Richard did the same sort of thing in Seattle.

-Saban discusses the importance of playing man and forcing receivers off of routes, even in what would nominally be zone looks (he calls it pattern matching). "If you're going to sit back off the receiver and watch the quarterback's eyes, all you're going to see is him completing a pass." We've all been sick of seeing that since ~2012, and this is the year that that's all supposed to change.

So think of this as kind of a primer on the Cowboys 2018 defensive strategy.

A few comments.

IN college they need some simpler concepts because of the nature of the players and the frequency as to which they come in and out down there.

I also feel the problem with the defense in Dallas has been more talent related than scheme. Busted draft picks and a tendency to focus on offense more than defense.

Sydla

Reaction score
I get you hate JG and I'm not the biggest fan but that seems like an awful lot of conjecture.

I don’t know about collapsing but I suspect it’s not that big a reach to claim Garrett wouldn’t come close to producing what Saban did at Bama.

What Saban has done is one of the great coaching runs in NCAA history.

Little chance Garrett would ever be able to reproduce that.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think so. He flamed out when he didn't have the opportunity to have all the top talent. If you compare apples to apples, it can be easily argued that Garrett is the better coach, which is different from saying who is the more accomplished coach.

In no way can it “be easily argued” Garrett is the better coach.

Come on, LOL.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
:lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

That has to be the most pathetic post I have EVER seen. Garrett could be argued to be a better coach than Saban?

ahahahahahaahahahaaha!!!!!!!

You could argue whatever you want, but you will get laughed at without mercy trying to argue that.

wow, just wow.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Saban out-talents his competition. It is pretty obvious to see.

If I am looking for a coaching genius, I would not start with him.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don’t know about collapsing but I suspect it’s not that big a reach to claim Garrett wouldn’t come close to producing what Saban did at Bama.

What Saban has done is one of the great coaching runs in NCAA history.

Little chance Garrett would ever be able to reproduce that.
JG did more in the NFL, Saban excels in college.

Sydla

Reaction score
JG did more in the NFL, Saban excels in college.

I would hope so........ Garrett has been in the NFL seven and a half years, Saban bailed out after two.

And the point you responded to was talking about Alabama. No, Garrett would never have produced what Saban did in his run at Bama.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I would hope so........ Garrett has been in the NFL seven and a half years, Saban bailed out after two.

And the point you responded to was talking about Alabama. No, Garrett would never have produced what Saban did in his run at Bama.
I'm not suggesting that JG would. But I'm also not saying something is a matter of fact when no one knows. "Probably not" works for me.

Hadenough

Reaction score
It would be fun to see Garrett and Saban get asked question in class room environment and film them answering them. I know Saban didnt do well coaching in Miami and I absolutely hate the way he left them over the summer. Bad move to quit on a team but I also think Saban is much more experienced coaching than Jason. He never had the talent or QB like Jason did!

John813

Reaction score
Yeah, he was amazing in Miami.

2005 he had Gus Frerotte and Sage Rosenfelds at QB.
2006 was broken Dante Culpepper, Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon.
With Scott Linehan as the OC(2005), and Garrett as the QB coach as a fun fact.

Not blindly defending Saban, as I was pissed that he bailed like that, but he was given turds at QB for 2 years.
Saban coached with JG, so that's legit praise for Garrett as he was under Saban for two years in Miami.

Were not fun years watching the Dolphins(if there ever was such a thing)

Last edited:

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
:lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

That has to be the most pathetic post I have EVER seen. Garrett could be argued to be a better coach than Saban?

ahahahahahaahahahaaha!!!!!!!

You could argue whatever you want, but you will get laughed at without mercy trying to argue that.

wow, just wow.
I think people with the ability to think for themselves would understand my point whether they agree or not.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think people with the ability to think for themselves would understand my point whether they agree or not.

I don’t understand the logic when you claim one could easily argue Garrett is a better coach.

What is the basis for this? Because Saban flamed our in 2 seasons in the NFL compared to Garrett, who was handed a franchise QB to start and in 7 full seasons has just one playoff win?

I don’t think you’d find a heck of a lot of support outside of the Cowboys fan world for the argument that Jason Garrett is a better head coach than Nick Saban.

Sydla

Reaction score
He liked Garrett enough to have him on his staff, and recommended him...lol

Great. Doesn't change the fact he's a better coach than Garrett.

Saban also thought Lane Kiffin was a great coach too. And he hired Steve Sarkisian, thinking he was a good coach as well. The guy is not infallible.