Nick Wright reacts to the Cowboys offense after reportedly signing Randell Cobb-FTF

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Hard to know that yet.

We have the draft..

Cuts after the draft from other teams..

June 1st cuts due to cap casualties..

TC possibility at trades..

Let's see what happens.

Draft should be interesting. I am looking forward to it even without a 1st rd pick.

I will definitely watch the whole 1st rd.

BigD_95

Reaction score
help with the down field passing game? Then you need to get a better QB. Dak cant hit Cooper running wide open without a defender within 15 yards twice in the same game.

Now the hope is Dak can improve in this area. Other QB's have improved on deep passes. I have my doubts but I guess there is hope.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
help with the down field passing game? Then you need to get a better QB. Dak cant hit Cooper running wide open without a defender within 15 yards twice in the same game.

Now the hope is Dak can improve in this area. Other QB's have improved on deep passes. I have my doubts but I guess there is hope.
Understand pass protection was nothing like in the past with Beard out.

They were plugging in 3rd string guys by the playoffs.

If DAK has more time and can step up instead of taking sidesteps to avoid the rush..

more completions for sure and deeper routes.

Last year was horrible for sacks.

Having Witten back helps, too.

irishline

Reaction score
Our 3 haven't had a season together so how did other trios put up better stats?

Come on man. They all put up stats. Our top 2 receivers didn't put up stats as good as the other teams top 2 when they played together. Now magically adding a Cobb as a 3 with how he has played the past few years elevates them above that? Cobb didn't play as well as the 3rd option on either team I listed.

Landry and Odell haven't played together, but can you honestly say with a straight face that teams would rather face those two than Gallup and Cooper? You think teams would rather face Cook and Woods? Maybe, maybe not. But one thing for sure it that it is not a sure thing one way or another (as the post I was replied to said it was) and adding Cobbs didn't change that.

I loved the Cooper trade, I like the Cobbs signing. But lets be real here, on paper they are not the hands down best three receiver set in football. As you, yourself, just stated they haven't even played together so how could they be.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to know that yet.

We have the draft..

Cuts after the draft from other teams..

June 1st cuts due to cap casualties..

TC possibility at trades..

Let's see what happens.

I'd say that's being overly optimistic. We had all of the free agent safeties and now we're reduced to talking about "June 1st cap casualties ( as if that's actually still a thing), cuts after the draft, and training camp cuts?

That's pretty sad.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It was only last season in which Cobb was bitten by the injury bug. 16/17 he missed a total of 3 games. He is only 28, it's not a stretch that at 28 he will rebound and stay healthy. I like the signing. We can use Cobb/Austin in the slot. Plus it's a 1-year deal, I am going to assume he is going to put in the work, come to camp in great shape, hoping to have a great year and cash in...
CCs point about not playing in GB and the poor weather there is an interesting view.

Keeping Cobb, Austin healthy will be mandatory.

At least the draft now can focus on DL where we are short now.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'd say that's being overly optimistic. We had all of the free agent safeties and now we're reduced to talking about "June 1st cap casualties ( as if that's actually still a thing), cuts after the draft, and training camp cuts?

That's pretty sad.
Again..

stuff happens.

Look what happened with Cooper.

Keeping cap available in the event of a possible deal to bring a safety in will be in play.

We are apparently still looking at DL via trade or FA..

so that maybe pushed down the "need" list.

Leaving safety to be priority again.

Hang in there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again..

stuff happens.

Look what happened with Cooper.

Keeping cap available in the event of a possible deal to bring a safety in will be in play.

We are apparently still looking at DL via trade of FA..

so that maybe pushed down the "need" list.

Leaving safety to be priority again.

Hang in there.

I refuse to be optimistic when it comes to the safety or defensive tackle positions.

This franchise refuses to acknowledge the clear importance of either position.

And year after year after year, they are proven wrong and it costs them. And yet they do nothing about it.

I no longer give them benefit of the doubt on something they willfully screw up time and time and time again.

Fool me once...

JBond

Reaction score
It's a win-win situation for the Cowboys on this deal.

Cobb > Beasley

Don't need to draft a WR this draft. And we can develop WR like Noah Brown and Cedric Wilson. Top 3 of Cooper, Gallup and Cobb is hard to beat in the NFL today when it comes to a WR set. Even with Cobb's recent injury history. Name me 3 receiver sets that are better today on paper.

None.
No more excuses for Dak. He better bawl out this season. 4000 yards 30 tds.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Beasley is better than Cobb. Hard stop.

The only possible difference is that Cobb can do more outside, but this offense hasn't shown any competency to take advantage of that.
Beasley was one dimensional.

Did you see him return punts?

Pathetic.

When it became obvious thru his posts and comments that he was moving on..

his play became lethargic as I thought he was protecting himself from injury.

That stupid grin of his after every fair catch got really old.

:omg:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Cobb is 28 years old. I did not know that until I watched Voch Lombardi on this deal yesterday on YouTube.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Agreed. I dont think people are appreciating that Cobb is literally the 3rd WR and, at best, the 4th option on offense after Zeke, Cooper, and Gallup. That's a pretty incredible situation.

When your 3rd WR in a run first offense is someone of Cobb's caliber it's hard to not feel optimistic in my opinion. He could be a WR2 on a lot of teams.
I'd like to feel optimistic but I watched this offense last year. Replacing Beasley with Cobb probably doesn't make that much difference.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I refuse to be optimistic when it comes to the safety or defensive tackle positions.

This franchise refuses to acknowledge the clear importance of either position.

And year after year after year, they are proven wrong and it costs them. And yet they do nothing about it.

I no longer give them benefit of the doubt on something they willfully screw up time and time and time again.

Fool me once...
And signing Hardy?

Not an attempt to improve the DL?

It did not work just as Irvin and Gregory.

But those positions are difficult to fill when you have won the Eastern Division 3 out of 5 years and you are picking 30th.

OL had been the priority and understandably so.

With Richard running things..they will draft heavily D.

DL and safety for sure in the top picks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And signing Hardy?

Not an attempt to improve the DL?

It did not work just as Irvin and Gregory.

But those positions are difficult to fill when you have won the Eastern Division 3 out of 5 years and you are picking 30th.

OL had been the priority and understandably so.

With Richard running things..they will draft heavily D.

DL and safety for sure in the top picks.

I said safety and defensive tackle.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I can't stand that frkn guy!
He's down on Beas as if Cobb is the almighty, GTFOOH!
Beas was our number one and I give him all props, hell I can't think of one Cowboys fan that even liked Cobb.
I liked him.

He did alot of damage in GB.

Tough dude and hard to tackle.

Unlike Beasley who constantly ran for the sidelines..

Cobb takes it straight up the field.

:thumbup: