News: No 5th Year Option for LVE

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The problem is that some of you still pretend that Vander Esch is a better player than Smith. He might not be, which is kind of depressing. Vander Esch has kind of escaped criticism for the defensive woes while Smith bears the biggest brunt, but if you watched the games LVE played, he was just as bad as Smith.

Hopefully Parsons and Cox are hits and we can start over rebuilding a better LB corps.
The Smith hit brigade will disagree with you. You are correct sir. Smith has out played LVE in every way the last two seasons. The problem with LVE is he is made of glass. He played the worst game I have ever seen for a linebacker against the Ravens and then he sprains his ankle against the Bengals and you never hear from him again. I hope he proves me wrong but the guy is a shell of his first year self. He might need to be released because he can’t stay healthy.

Flamma

Reaction score
nah that madness has to stop..at some point aplayer needs to play into anew deal not giving one that hope he plays up it..with LVES injury history, lack of experience on the field and recent struggles, why outbid yourself?

it happens far too much around here and im ll for letting LVE prove hes worth keeping..it will be better to overpay a guy whos arrived then one who might someday be good and overpaid and they never arrive..

LVE has shown nothing at this point to need to pick up 5th year option or worry abut long term deal. Seriously this draft shows we decided to get some youth to push these guys just in case we end up with an all new LB core for 2022..

we were more then patient with SLee all these years but just cant be using emotional responses with payer ie being loyal to popular players, they need to out up or be gone.. so what if they lave and become all pros somewhere else that the risk you take and i as GM wouldn't sweat it..

you dont being in this many new LB options if you are satisfied with those on the current staff

To be honest, I don't care if they move on from LVE regardless of how good he plays. If I'm GM I make a decision. I don't sit, wait, and let dumb luck determine what I pay. Dallas paid through the nose with Tank and Dak doing really stupid stuff just like that. If you waited for every player to prove himself and play out his rookie contract you'd be 1-15 every year. You want my opinion on LVE? He's too injury prone for my liking. I don't care how well he plays in 2021 he's gone. I wish him nothing but the best.

John813

Reaction score
The Smith hit brigade will disagree with you. You are correct sir. Smith has out played LVE in every way the last two seasons. The problem with LVE is he is made of glass. He played the worst game I have ever seen for a linebacker against the Ravens and then he sprains his ankle against the Bengals and you never hear from him again. I hope he proves me wrong but the guy is a shell of his first year self. He might need to be released because he can’t stay healthy.

Unless the team wants a clean slate, there's no point in releasing him until cutdowns. They will get zero savings in cap hit due to guaranteed salary. Bring him into TC/PS and see how he looks.

So, here's to hoping he can rebound back or at least close to his rookie year. Still would be scared to re-sign him but at least a rookie LVE will help out this team win games in 2021

*Not assuming you wanted him cut asap. Just wanted to say there's no real benefit to cutting him cap wise. Trade wise, they would save 2mil off the cap

Aven8

Reaction score
This is why you don’t draft injured players. He’s still better than Jaylon though.

what I love most about this draft was they knew they had a LB problem and they went out and they tried to fix it. In past years they would have just rolled with it.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is why you don’t draft injured players. He’s still better than Jaylon though.

what I love most about this draft was they knew they had a LB problem and they went out and they tried to fix it. In past years they would have just rolled with it.

Is he though? I mean if you really watched him play, there wasn't much of a difference in their play. This is like trying to argue dog poop is better to eat than horse poop.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I remember many were excited when the Cowboys drafted LVE. A few of us who were not were roasted. We told y'all it was a major risk using a super costly 1st round pick on a LB with neck problems since college.

Darn. Good player but can't stay on the field. I don't see how his neck (even now after surgery) will hold up with the rigors of playing in the NFL, much less being a tackler as a LB. Enjoy what's left of LVE, because this is very likely his last year in the NFL.

Aven8

Reaction score
Is he though? I mean if you really watched him play, there wasn't much of a difference in their play. This is like trying to argue dog poop is better to eat than horse poop.

Last year just sucked for both of them. LVE could not get healthy. At least he has instincts. He had a bad year though I do not doubt that. So much regression which tells me bad coaching.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
The problem is that some of you still pretend that Vander Esch is a better player than Smith. He might not be, which is kind of depressing. Vander Esch has kind of escaped criticism for the defensive woes while Smith bears the biggest brunt, but if you watched the games LVE played, he was just as bad as Smith.

Hopefully Parsons and Cox are hits and we can start over rebuilding a better LB corps.

LVE played two years with injuries, which affects you when you play a game when you are running into 300 lb athletes. As far as I know, Smith was 100% last year. He is also the 2nd highest-paid defender on defense that needed leadership and he responded by acting very odd. So yea, the jury is still out on LVE, while I feel that Smith is almost certainly done after 2021. Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for him, but I think I have seen enough.

Sydla

Reaction score
Last year just sucked for both of them. LVE could not get healthy. At least he has instincts. He had a bad year though I do not doubt that. So much regression which tells me bad coaching.

I think LVE's instincts have been overrated. Last season, he was doing the same things that people killed Smith for.......... overrunning plays, guessing and picking the wrong holes to fill, crashing when he shouldn't.

People have carved out their favorite between the two and have been more willing to give their guy a pass while dumping on the other. They both stunk and it would be wise for the Cowboys to admit it didn't work and just move on at the first chance.

Now, in fairness, it's possible maybe one or both can improve with Quinn. Frankly, I am expecting both to play "better" but not great enough that it warrants the cap hits it would take to keep them on the roster over the next 2-3-4 years.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I would be shopping LVE right now to see what teams are offering for trade. Saves $2M on the cap trading him.

Guy just can’t stay healthy. Trade probably will only bring a late round pick or another injury-prone player. I doubt the Raiders would offer safety Abraham, who has been injury prone the last two years, missing 18 of 32 games. Raiders drafted 3 safeties, I think. Might have to add a player like WR Wilson to sweeten the pot.

Sydla

Reaction score
LVE played two years with injuries, which affects you when you play a game when you are running into 300 lb athletes. As far as I know, Smith was 100% last year. He is also the 2nd highest-paid defender on defense that needed leadership and he responded by acting very odd. So yea, the jury is still out on LVE, while I feel that Smith is almost certainly done after 2021. Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for him, but I think I have seen enough.

LVE did things last year that have nothing to do with his injury. Again, as I noted above, people have carved out a favorite between the two and judged one with a more positive bent than the other. Whether Smith was the 2nd highest paid is meaningless to me. That's a sunken cost at this point. LVE wasn't good last year. He made the same dumb mistakes Smith made.

I said before the draft I think it's time to just admit it didn't work, look to start to overhaul LB and go from there. It appears from the draft and not picking up LVE's option, the Cowboys may see the same thing. I'd also consider cutting Smith post June 1, but I doubt that happens (and frankly, we don't necessarily need the cap savings right now anyway).

LittleD

Reaction score
He's brittle like Sean Lee. Always has a problem and neck problems are no joke. Too much risk unless he wants to play for low end money.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think LVE's instincts have been overrated. Last season, he was doing the same things that people killed Smith for.......... overrunning plays, guessing and picking the wrong holes to fill, crashing when he shouldn't.

People have carved out their favorite between the two and have been more willing to give their guy a pass while dumping on the other. They both stunk and it would be wise for the Cowboys to admit it didn't work and just move on at the first chance.

Now, in fairness, it's possible maybe one or both can improve with Quinn. Frankly, I am expecting both to play "better" but not great enough that it warrants the cap hits it would take to keep them on the roster over the next 2-3-4 years.

and who was his DC......a guy you called the worst in the league.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Unless the team wants a clean slate, there's no point in releasing him until cutdowns. They will get zero savings in cap hit due to guaranteed salary. Bring him into TC/PS and see how he looks.

So, here's to hoping he can rebound back or at least close to his rookie year. Still would be scared to re-sign him but at least a rookie LVE will help out this team win games in 2021

*Not assuming you wanted him cut asap. Just wanted to say there's no real benefit to cutting him cap wise. Trade wise, they would save 2mil off the cap
I want LVE to return to his rookie of the year form. I want VanJaylon to keep Neal and Cox on the bench. A man can dream.