No HOF Presentation for TO

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Wanting to be respected is not the same as worrying all the time about what people think of you. If you think people don’t care anything about respect you are either lying or an idiot. You don’t have friendships without it. You don’t get jobs and promotions and raises without it. You don’t get opportunities in business, or to participate in activities that affect other people without it. What do mass shooters have in common - they are outsiders who are looked down on by their peers.

And, again don’t give me the nonsense that you are immune from wanting friendships and advancement at work and opportunities professionally and socially.

Wanting to be respected...by definition is a concern about what people think of you.

You shouldn't try and change who you are to get friends.

Do you think TO got in the hall of fame because of respect of who he was as a person?

Plenty of people get jobs and raises and other opportunities without respect.

I am sorry you feel the need to go around basing what you do on a desire to be respected by others.

I'll be me, if someone wants to be my friend, great. If not, oh well. I expect my work success to be based on the value of the work I perform. I am not going to be fake to have "respect."

rags747

Reaction score
I wish he would attend because I think his speech would be really fantastic, but I give him credit for saying screw u I will do my own thing thank you.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wanting to be respected...by definition is a concern about what people think of you.

You shouldn't try and change who you are to get friends.

Do you think TO got in the hall of fame because of respect of who he was as a person?

Plenty of people get jobs and raises and other opportunities without respect.

I am sorry you feel the need to go around basing what you do on a desire to be respected by others.

I'll be me, if someone wants to be my friend, great. If not, oh well. I expect my work success to be based on the value of the work I perform. I am not going to be fake to have "respect."

So, TO feels disrespected, which means he wants respect, which, by your definition means TO wasn’t really a good football player, he was just trying to fake it to get in the HOF.

Still want to stick with your fake definition?

The fact is you are ridiculously warping the definition of “respect” to suit your purpose. The definition is an admiration of a persons abilites, qualities and achievements, not an admiration of a person pretending to be something he is not. Wanting respect from your boss, therefore, would be wanting him to recognize you are good at your job, not for him to fall for you faking your job. You are being intentionally obtuse, and clearly have no interest in a fair and reasonable discussion.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So, TO feels disrespected, which means he wants respect, which, by your definition means TO wasn’t really a good football player, he was just trying to fake it to get in the HOF.

Still want to stick with your fake definition?

What? Being a good football player is not dependant on wanting the respect of others. No idea how you came up with that.

The fact is you are ridiculously warping the definition of “respect” to suit your purpose. The definition is an admiration of a persons abilites, qualities and achievements, not an admiration of a person pretending to be something he is not. Wanting respect from your boss, therefore, would be wanting him to recognize you are good at your job, not for him to fall for you faking your job. You are being intentionally obtuse, and clearly have no interest in a fair and reasonable discussion.

In the context being discussed, it is deep admiration of ones's qualities (ie who they are as a person) that is in question. I hope you're not suggesting there is just one type of respect?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I’ll ask you.

What should they do? What should they do beyond announcing him as an inductee, listing his name amongst the other inductees?

Moment of silence for him? Run a video tribute to him? What?

They should have you go on stage and read a haiku about his accomplishments.

It’s not that difficult, I’m sure they could figure something out if they weren’t being petty.

They refuse to even send him his jacket until the day after so he can’t wear it in the middle-of-nowhere school he went to as part of his event.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What? Being a good football player is not dependant on wanting the respect of others. No idea how you came up with that.

In the context being discussed, it is deep admiration of ones's qualities (ie who they are as a person) that is in question. I hope you're not suggesting there is just one type of respect?

No, being a good football player isn't dependent on having the respect of others, but that's not what I said. What I said was TO was upset because he felt he had been disrespected, and by your definition, when a person wants respect it means he is pretending to be something he is not. My point was that your definition is ridiculous because TO was a great football player, and the fact that he wants to be respected for it does not mean he was pretending to be something he wasn't.

It's also ridiculous that you ignore both human nature, and the way the world works. The fact is humans are social creatures, and therefor do place value on the opinion of others. It's an affirmation when people recognize your qualities and accomplishments, and respect is necessary to gain and maintain quality relationships. It's also how people advance in their professions and in any aspect of their lives that involves other people. People cannot maintain good relationships with people that don't respect them, they can't be a positive role model for people (including kids) if they aren't respected, and they will not get opportunities in work or other areas of life from people that don't respect them.

Of course, this is all common sense, and really unquestionable, but for the purpose of your argument I'm sure you will cling to your position.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You know what the respect of others is worth? Zero.

Maybe you don't care about respect but most people live their lives with the idea that if not liked for whatever reason they are at least respected. I guess you're another T.O. who only cares about yourself and goes through life with a grade school mentality.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Hmmmm....stats says otherwise. He may a the leagues biggest jerk or whatever he's called but he proved himself to HOF worthy on the field.

Finally last week I heard on the radio someone take a closer look at things and say that all those numbers he piled up he did over SEVENTEEN years. This guy said that whiny boy is getting into the HOF basically because he played for 17 years even though he never lead the league in catches in any of those years. But what he did do 3 times is lead the league is drops. I also remember an incident where whiny boy literally spit in the face of a defender and then even admitted it after the game. If I remember right it was against the falcons.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Who cares about some stupid polls, most fans don't like him anyway, and his skipping has nothing to do with respect of the other players, that's some bs you came up with. He can say his piece about the other inductees at his speech in Tennessee, it will mean the same from there as it would in Ohio.

It will only mean the same to him, not to all of the other members he's disrespecting by not showing up for the honor he's whined about not getting last year. He whined to anyone and everyone about not getting in the HOF in 2017 and now stupid boy gets voted in and he's to stupid and disrespectful to go. He's a sorry excuse for a human.

Sydla

Reaction score
They should have you go on stage and read a haiku about his accomplishments.

It’s not that difficult, I’m sure they could figure something out if they weren’t being petty.

They refuse to even send him his jacket until the day after so he can’t wear it in the middle-of-nowhere school he went to as part of his event.

Why should he get his jacket before people that attend? I mean that's how this stuff usually works. If you win an award and don't attend, you typically get them delivered after the fact.

He'll get his name announced and they'll have his photo present as well. The fact you think they should do more is hilarious.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Finally last week I heard on the radio someone take a closer look at things and say that all those numbers he piled up he did over SEVENTEEN years. This guy said that whiny boy is getting into the HOF basically because he played for 17 years even though he never lead the league in catches in any of those years. But what he did do 3 times is lead the league is drops. I also remember an incident where whiny boy literally spit in the face of a defender and then even admitted it after the game. If I remember right it was against the falcons.
He played 15 seasons not 17, and his receptions per game are also near the top so longevity didn’t really get him into the Hall (any more than it should, obviously longevity is somewhat a factor). He is also one of only 4 WR to make 1st team All-Pro at age 34, clearly indicating he was playing well and not just hanging on. Longevity is a poor argument against him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Traditionally, gold jackets have always been presented to enshrines at the annual Gold Jacket dinner that is held the night before the bronze bust ceremony the next day. Why should the Hall break tradition due to the fact that Owens is the only inductee to ever break tradition? To what lengths should the Hall bend over to accommodate one person excessively disgruntled over the election process? Should the gold jacket dinner proceed as normal, end, and the person overseeing the presentation of the jackets run like a bat out of hell over to the nearest FedEx store and have Owens' jacket super duper overnight expressed to him?

Seriously, why is a jacket an issue with him or anyone else? Did Owens not remedy his own dilemma over a year ago by creating his own knockoff version of the real deal? Problem solved right..?

Sydla

Reaction score
He shouldn't.

And yet you are ranting about the fact he won't get his jacket until the day after the attendees get theirs.

You want your jacket when the others get it? Show up.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
No, being a good football player isn't dependent on having the respect of others, but that's not what I said. What I said was TO was upset because he felt he had been disrespected, and by your definition, when a person wants respect it means he is pretending to be something he is not. My point was that your definition is ridiculous because TO was a great football player, and the fact that he wants to be respected for it does not mean he was pretending to be something he wasn't.
I never said that wanting respect meant that you were pretending. I was saying people shouldn't pretend just to get respect, regardless of whether or not they want it. I still have no idea where the "then he must not be a good football player" thing came in.

It's also ridiculous that you ignore both human nature, and the way the world works. The fact is humans are social creatures, and therefor do place value on the opinion of others. It's an affirmation when people recognize your qualities and accomplishments, and respect is necessary to gain and maintain quality relationships. It's also how people advance in their professions and in any aspect of their lives that involves other people. People cannot maintain good relationships with people that don't respect them, they can't be a positive role model for people (including kids) if they aren't respected, and they will not get opportunities in work or other areas of life from people that don't respect them.

Of course, this is all common sense, and really unquestionable, but for the purpose of your argument I'm sure you will cling to your position.

You are trying to mix all types of respect into one thing, and not focusing on the type of respect that was in the context of the conversation. Maybe that is my fault for not being clear that I was being specific to this discussion.

You state things as if they are absolutes, when they are categorically not. You must think everyone thinks and feels the way that you do. That's just not the way it is. Sorry to burst your bubble.

What "value" does TO get from having the respect of a few people who he most likely never interacts with and may never see again in his life? What kind of respect do these people have for him anyway? Do they respect him for the person he is? Likely not as they probably don't even really know him very well. How much is their respect worth (even if you care so much about it) if they are the type of people that would so easily lose respect for someone over something like this?

So, again, what is the value?

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Maybe you don't care about respect but most people live their lives with the idea that if not liked for whatever reason they are at least respected. I guess you're another T.O. who only cares about yourself and goes through life with a grade school mentality.

You seem confused between the difference of worrying about what others think of you, and having respect for others.