Twitter: No more brace for Smith

aria

Reaction score
So is this finally the year he’s supposed to “beast out”? I thought that was suppose to happen last year? Is it a cyclical thing, like every other year, or does it depend on the gravitational pull between the earth and moon on game day?

Little Jr

Reaction score
Just because he's out of the AFO doesn't mean he doesn't have drop foot. Not everyone with drop foot wears a AFO. Myself included.

erod

Reaction score
Just because he's out of the AFO doesn't mean he doesn't have drop foot. Not everyone with drop foot wears a AFO. Myself included.
He wouldn't play football without it if that was the case. We'll see if he wears it in games.

Little Jr

Reaction score
He wouldn't play football without it if that was the case. We'll see if he wears it in games.
He didn't wear a AFO last year while he was playing. He wore a Ritchie brace which isn't even for drop foot.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He didn't wear a AFO last year while he was playing. He wore a Ritchie brace which isn't even for drop foot.

The ritchie brace he was wearing most certainly was for drop foot. I even showed you the product page and its indications last time. It was springloaded to lift the foot on the upswing.

that is besides the point because we also found still of him wearing a semirigid AFO in practice later that year. With all the tape he had on you cannot tell whether or not he had that on.

And anywho the ritchie brace with the springs assisted hinge at the ankle would not have been allowed while he played anymore than inspector gadget arms for OL to help them block. mechanical support is allowed but not mechanical assistance.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
His reactions and instincts were a problem as well. I do not get why people think that it was all physical.

There is a reason why we just drafted a MLB prospect and are talking about his value as a potential edge.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
His reactions and instincts were a problem as well. I do not get why people think that it was all physical.

There is a reason why we just drafted a MLB prospect and are talking about his value as a potential edge.

i don't know why you would think people were thinking it was only physical.

every LB we have brought in has had issues with the run reads. run reads are difficult in a 1 gap scheme. Anticipating route combinations relative to your coverage assignments also takes time. He improved in both regards over the season and I see no reason that he would not continue to improve given more time to study, practice and play.

the reason why people are fixating on the physical is because that is typically the limiting factor to a players upside. If he can be juked in the hole easily it doesn't matter if he fills the right gap. if he cannot drive on crossing routes because he lacks lateral quickness it doesn't matter if he can anticipate them.

DiResta

Reaction score

i think his reactions and instincts were just more self perseverance in many cases
he did NOT want to anchor off that foot and any time teams got him moving left all he would do is try and spin off a block instead of taking on a block
later he got much better taking on blocks but not perfect
he also was really uncommitted coming down to fill but that could just be trying play too safe and having little aggression
also when youre hurt its natural to avoid adding to the injury
for playing soft maybe coaches were telling him to do his best but just keep everything in front of him idk

at least thats the way i see it

reason being he was very good since highschool and i dont believe he became a dummy
i think he will be much more aggressive this year
maybe too aggressive at times
it will be different

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

He's was also essentially a rookie after a redshirt.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yeah..wonder what his response is. I have him on ignore, so I really don’t care. :laugh:
He's been wandering about the board, doing what he does, but he hasn't stopped by this corner of the neighborhood. Yet.

zerofill

Reaction score
So is this finally the year he’s supposed to “beast out”? I thought that was suppose to happen last year? Is it a cyclical thing, like every other year, or does it depend on the gravitational pull between the earth and moon on game day?

Well, to be fair... he did pretty good for what he came back from... There are a lot of things coming back from that. many of them aren't physical. You have to learn to trust your body again. Heck, I broke my tibia, fibula, and ankle... had plate and screws put in... Mentally, I don't think I trusted that thing wasn't going to snap again for over a year... And I wasn't playing on a football field. So I have to give the kid props on what he was called to do for the 1st part of last season.