Twitter: No more brace for Smith

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I actually said i knew someone who had seen J.Smith and he told me this was getting close to happening. But, a couple of people said i didnt know what i was talking about. This was last month i believe.
Why do I remember this? I think I remember this!

MCMetal69

Reaction score
KABOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO JAYLON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO COWBOYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aven8

Reaction score
Now the question is do they make a brace that helps him read the play?? ;)

aria

Reaction score
Well, to be fair... he did pretty good for what he came back from... There are a lot of things coming back from that. many of them aren't physical. You have to learn to trust your body again. Heck, I broke my tibia, fibula, and ankle... had plate and screws put in... Mentally, I don't think I trusted that thing wasn't going to snap again for over a year... And I wasn't playing on a football field. So I have to give the kid props on what he was called to do for the 1st part of last season.
I had pretty much the same injury you describe so I understand. I give him props, I’m just mocking the term “beast out” and how many people over use it every year. Not to mention it’s just annoying. Pet peeve of mine, carry on ;)

Ie “Zeke is gonna come back from suspension angry, beast out and get 200 yards”
“Jaylon is gonna beast out after his rookie year”
“Lawrence was pissed about not being mentioned as a premier edge rusher, he’s gonna beast out”

:rolleyes:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I had pretty much the same injury you describe so I understand. I give him props, I’m just mocking the term “beast out” and how many people over use it every year. Not to mention it’s just annoying. Pet peeve of mine, carry on ;)

Ie “Zeke is gonna come back from suspension angry, beast out and get 200 yards”
“Jaylon is gonna beast out after his rookie year”
“Lawrence was pissed about not being mentioned as a premier edge rusher, he’s gonna beast out”

:rolleyes:
I just beasted out and now I have back hair to shave...
You're right! That is annoying!

aria

Reaction score
I just beasted out and now I have back hair to shave...
You're right! That is annoying!
Lol, I was actually planning on doing my back today as well but my wife isn’t here. Guess I’ll have to beast out for another day. Beasting out at the gym tomorrow, teen wolf style.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Exciting news!! I'm as excited for him as I am about him contributing to my favorite team. He worked hard for this. I know I've said this 1000 times throughout the forum but the kid has heart. Exactly the kid of player you want out in your defense.

Little Jr

Reaction score
The ritchie brace he was wearing most certainly was for drop foot. I even showed you the product page and its indications last time. It was springloaded to lift the foot on the upswing.

that is besides the point because we also found still of him wearing a semirigid AFO in practice later that year. With all the tape he had on you cannot tell whether or not he had that on.

And anywho the ritchie brace with the springs assisted hinge at the ankle would not have been allowed while he played anymore than inspector gadget arms for OL to help them block. mechanical support is allowed but not mechanical assistance.
Very true. The one he was wearing was for drop foot.

I wasn't aware he was still in a AFO off the field. I assumed he was out of it by this time.

With that said, not wearing a AFO doesn't mean he doesn't have drop foot. I'll stick to what ive said all along , its not going away. It's a 9-18 month recovery and that has long past. He will continue to get better as his muscles , ligamnets ext. .. get stronger.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Soon, he'll be running out of excuses.

Yeah, what we see this year is what we're gonna get.

If the drop foot is gone, and the knee's been played on for a year, then I don't really expect any improvement beyond that. But we're gonna see what Jaylon looks like first.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Very true. The one he was wearing was for drop foot.

I wasn't aware he was still in a AFO off the field. I assumed he was out of it by this time.

With that said, not wearing a AFO doesn't mean he doesn't have drop foot. I'll stick to what ive said all along , its not going away. It's a 9-18 month recovery and that has long past. He will continue to get better as his muscles , ligamnets ext. .. get stronger.

As I am sure you know, there are different levels of nervous function and functional strength. Your nerve was severed and frankly your prognosis is not his; he did not have necessarily have the scar tissue formation that you experienced guaranteeing only a partial recovery. A full recovery always was a possible outcome. I have no idea why you have insisted it was not possible.

From the actuarial data I read nervous function can take up to 24 months but that is neither here nor there. It has passed either way. The bottomline is that he has enough peroneal function to run, shuffle, jump, cut, or anything else on the football field without need something to hold his foot up. He never needed full strength to function at a high level either because the peroneal does not push off.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yeah, what we see this year is what we're gonna get.

If the drop foot is gone, and the knee's been played on for a year, then I don't really expect any improvement beyond that. But we're gonna see what Jaylon looks like first.

Athletically he should peak around age 25 like everyone else. I also don't understand why the Landry rule of three years of play would not apply either.